Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Planet X Meteor – anyone got one?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’m fancying one of these but no reviews out there yet – anyone got one?

brant
    Free Member

The stem from the 90’s?

m0rk
    Free Member

The stem from the 90’s?

Looks just like the Trans-X Azonic copy I’ve got in the parts bin

akira

I like the way Brant still jumps into planet X threads. Makes me feel happy for some reason.

velocipede
    Free Member

Yep, it’s the new bike, not the old stem that I’m interested in!!
    😀

cookeaa

Meh, PX QC and Titanium… A recipe for success.

velocipede
    Free Member

No love for PX Titanium stuff then! 😆

scud
    Free Member

I would never touch another PX bike or frame again, bought a Holdsworth steel Singlespeed frame and a Fatty Trail frame from them in last few months.

Holdsworth paint is comical, you look at it and it chips.

Worse though is fatty frame, placed my Hope Eternity 30.9mm seat post in to the frame and there is more play than we get from England football team, laughable that the quality control is so bad, especially after the London Road thread.

I think PX must have shares in Coke with the number of cans sold to shim seat tubes on bikes!!

Pity really as most frames i’ve had from them ride well, but recent ones just aren’t fit for purpose.

velocipede
    Free Member

mmmmm, now you’ve put me right off, which is a shame cos I was all excited! 😳

yathers
    Free Member

Don’t let that put you off, I have a pickenflick cx bike and bloody love the thing, frame handles amazingly fast on sneaky little paths, it’s really opened up the riding I do on the commutes. Raced it cx last year and I can’t complain, well apart from the hub bearings, but I upgraded wheels to kinesis and haven’t looked back. Probably lighter bikes yes, but I do feel it will take a proper hammering and the warranty of titanium frames is, er 5, or is it 10 years?? A lot anyway. Oh, no paint to fall off either as its already fallen off the titanium frames 🙂

cookeaa

I would buy a PX/OO just not a pricey one, certainly not at list price and definitely not in Titanium, it’s possibly the most difficult material to make a good bicycle frame with, while PX have been working hard to diminish any reputation they might have had for quality and customer service…

All IMO of course, your experiences may be different…

yathers
    Free Member

I thought Van Nicolas made the titanium frame s for px??

velocipede
    Free Member

These new Ti frames (Hurricane, Typhoon, Spitfire, Meteor, Tempest) are designed by Mark Reilly but are built in Vietnam……they look very nice but the comments above are all a bit off putting when considering spending so much (even though they look good value)

Northwind

Nice looking frame though. Might be worth a look once it’s £700.

cyclistm
    Free Member

From the page Brant posted it seems Planet X aren’t sure whether Mark Reilly hand builds the frames or not. It’s pretty misleading.

Hand built in triple butted 3Al/2.5V titanium the Meteor is the disc brake evolution of our celebrated Spitfire road bike. Titanium brings a touch of luxury to the humble bicycle, though there’s nothing humble about our new disc brake equipped Meteor. Hand built by Master Framebuilder Mark Reilly the agile and surefooted Meteor instills confidence in every turn.
    Handbuilt triple butted Ti frame

velocipede
    Free Member

It is misleading – so I sent them a message to ask. The reply:

They are designed by him but not build they are made in Vietnam .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Meteor – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.