Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Planet X London Road – gear hanger (superstar / wheels mftg)
  • aroyalnit
    Free Member

After going through two PX gear hangers on my London Road recently*, I’m looking for a replacement from another manufacturer.

If you got a replacement hanger from superstar / wheels mftg for this frame, what model/number did you buy?

I bought one that looked like it fitted from Superstar, but the fitment holes aren’t quite far apart enough to fit the frame.

I gave them a shout, but they won’t give recommendations for models of bike.

If anyone has a 5800 rear mech going for cheap also that would be nice 🙂

* JRA and rear mech gets far too friendly with spokes. 2200 miles on the bike with no trouble before this started happening!

the00
    Free Member

Try BETD.
    When you fit your new hanger, make sure you check the limit screws on your derailier. If it’s going into the spokes, something is wrong…
    – Limit screws
    – Bent hanger
    – Bent derailier
    – Bent frame
    – Loose spokes / dodgy wheel.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

If it’s going into the spokes, something is wrong…

This has been preying on my mind also. I trashed a brand new new mech / hanger / cable / outer setup last night on a short test ride after fixing up the first whoopsie, limit screws were set well.

I’ll be doing a fair bit of wheel / frame inspecting before the next test ride. The bike does get ragged around a fair bit on a lengthy offroad commute!

richardthird

Think I successfully matched one up with an ebay seller pic. Ages ago though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Is there a crack in the frame allowing it to distort? Another symptom of this is if it feels like it has a semi flat tyre…

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Is there a crack in the frame allowing it to distort?

You guys are worrying me here 🙂 It’s going to have a good check over tonight before I order a new hanger…

I’d love to upgrade the frame to something a bit livelier, just not a good time right now!

philjunior
    Free Member

If the rear mech is going into the wheel, this will continue to happen.

Could the axle have snapped on the wheel? One very loose spoke? Something must have changed to allow the rear mech to get ripped off and another brand of hanger isn’t going to solve it. BETD do a good range as above.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

So, I gave the frame / wheels a good clean & inspection, nothing found.

(I *was* kinda hoping to find a frame crack, having the go-ahead for a new frame if there was one)

I went ahead and got a new hanger from betd along with new mech / gear cable+outer. Fitted the lot, careful checks and a gingerly test ride, 55 miles in I’ve got no problems.

I’m chalking this one down to bad luck at the moment! Think I’ve learnt a couple of lessons about checking my bikes over a bit more frequently, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Planet X London Road – gear hanger (superstar / wheels mftg)’ is closed to new replies.