Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Planet X London Road
  • northernmatt

Anyone got one?

After being put off a Day One Alfine I’m now looking at these and wondered if anyone could give me an idea what they are like to live with day to day. It’ll be used for commute and weekend rides out.

I’m looking at the £800 one as it’ll let me add some bits on if needed to get in under the C2W limit.

brant
    Free Member

My lovely girlfriend has one of the sample ones and has put 1000 miles plus on it, riding to Rochdale and back (though not over London Road) and other jaunts.

It’s a great bike with undersold hidden depths 🙂

northernmatt

I like the fact that it’s versatile and most importantly has disc brakes, and it comes in lairy (enduro?) green.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Oh, interesting.
    This bike is my n+1

I hadn’t realised they’d knocked out a new spec at 799 but what I really want is to see it with ‘hydrolic’ brakes

Ignoring Brant’s obvious impartiality 🙂 I’d be keen to hear from anyone who has one, particularly how does it get on with mudguards as planet x themselves are a bit vague other than saying it has eyelets

Cheers

ribena
    Free Member

I’ve got one, working well with P45 mudguards over the 700c/35mm Vittoria Hyper tyres…

northernmatt

Well you can add mudguards on when you order so at least then you don’t have the bother of trying to fit them.

Not available in enduro lairy green in my size 🙁

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I smell foul play!!

Currently impossible to spec the 999 version but good stock of the cheaper one

So hydraulic brakes available soon then after all?

northernmatt

I smell foul play!!

Possibly, only differences are the drivetrain and wheels. Had a quick look around and Rival and Rival22 seem to be the same price so that leaves wheels to make up £200.

duckman

The frame was a lot cheaper last week as well. Sold out until Feb.

ampthill

Evans Arkose is similar

The 2 has hydro brakes but is 1×10 £720

This one is Hydro and sti £1250

Genesis do the CDA 10 and 20. Semi hydro and the 20 is only 1 chain ring

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was thinking of combining my nice bike,winter bike and cx bike into one and was looking at this. Mud room with a 35c tyre in it?

brant
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    I was thinking of combining my nice bike,winter bike and cx bike into one and was looking at this. Mud room with a 35c tyre in it?
    POSTED 58 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Designed to clear Bruce Gordon Rock N Road 44’s with min 6mm clearance.

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’ll be a yes then…..taaa.

northernmatt

I think I may have made my mind up, this will be the second bike from PX/OO in two months.

Mustn’t make a habit of it, although I do keep catching myself looking longingly at a 45650B frame, I still miss my summer season.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’d be my 6th.Just got to convince myself not to get a Pickenflick by ‘mistake’.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at a small green one myself (not in stock) to replace my boring and very grey arkose 3 frame and fork !

Bigmantrials

I recently got a London road, really great bike, I built mine using a drivetrain off my old road bike, the bike is being used mostly for CX currently and I have been surprised at what is is capable of! In the spring the tyres will get changed with the aim of commuting on it (around 15miles each way).

northernmatt

Just checked and they are now showing due in in February so I think I’ll be getting a green one on order soon.

edit: Bigmantrials – what size is yours and how tall are you? I’m 6ft1in which puts me bang inbetween large and X-large

Bigmantrials

Matt, I am 6ft4 and it an XL and I think it fits pretty well, I need to have a play with stem length a bit, but otherwise I really like it, it makes a good change from the MTB over winter!

toby1

I didn’t NEED to see this thread – I do however NEED a new commuter. Well need in the sense it’d be nice to have gears and decent brakes on my commute.

northernmatt

Bit the bullet and ordered this today, got to wait until mid-february at the earliest for frames to come into stock. Excited all over again!

rudyard197
    Free Member

My frame is on it’s way, anybody else built one up?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m thinking about buying a London Road frame. How is everyone getting along with theirs? Is it fast/comfortable? So stiff that it kicks like mule on the bumps? What’s everyone’s thoughts…

shermer75
    Free Member

Has there been a review of this bike yet? Or are there any owners out there who fancy sharing their opinions? I’m most interested in the frame- is it comfy, fast, or that delicious holy grail of both! I’ll be using it as a commuter. Any gripes? Is it easy to fit mudguards and rack around the disc brakes? Let me know! 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Give me a week or so – just sorting some bits out to build a frame up. Got some TRP spyres for it and will be going for a single ring up front I think. No mudguards as I intend to use CX tyres on it initially, 35 – 38c ones.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice! I look forward to hearing about it! 🙂

Bigmantrials

This is mine with mudguards fitted, wanted to trial them to make sure they would fit ok, they fitted fine and are now back on the shelf in the shed. I rode mine to work for the first time last week (14miles each way) and it was great, I didn’t find it uncomfortable. Its a great bike, really good fun, I am looking to stick some different tyres on it soon, considering Clement X’plor MSO at the moment.

Shortbread_Fanylion – I will be interested to hear what single ring setup you go for, I have been considering it on mine with a 40T narrow wide and 11-32 casette.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve been running the same set up on my existing CX bike, but with a normal 40t ring and a chain keeper. It’s been great, really neat looking and given the lack of big hills locally I’ve not needed lower gearing. Bought the London Road primarily for disc brakes and versatility and am going to put on a 40t narrow wide ring.

Kryton57

So er…

For road riding, could this be a capable winter/turbo replacement for my defy 3? Can it really enter a Cross race and be competitive? And – I don’t know sram – what is SRAM22 in shimano equivalent? Can I slap 25mm road tyres straight onto the stock wheels?

Tempted to by one if all the answers are yes, I’m hoping for marital bliss they might be no 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Similar situation and I’ve just got my quote/voucher for the Genesis equilibrium 10 disc.
    It’s 100 pounds over the limit but I couldn’t find anything I wanted more for my daily commute + I think it looks fantastic. I’m hoping steel will be that bit more forgiving than the planet X which was also on the list.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m hoping steel will be that bit more forgiving than the planet X which was also on the list.

Is it known to be stiff then?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Lime green bundle ordered 🙂

torsten
    Free Member

Hi

Re speculations about the London Road with hydraulic discs:

Just went to Planet X shop in Sheffield to order a London Road Rival 22 and was asked if I wanted to upgrade to hydraulic brakes for £200 more.

So the London Road now comes with the full Rival 22 HRD group set for cycle to work friendly £999.99.

Not yet available on the website, but can be ordered over the phone or in the shop.

jeffl

You have to tell me that after I’ve ordered one on the C2W scheme! Ah well BB7s it is for me.

thorpie
    Free Member

The build date for my London Road is tomorrow, is it worth an extra £200 for hydros? It’s for commuting and BB7s have always been more than adequate?

shermer75
    Free Member

For me these are the two main drawbacks of BB7s:

1) Always needing to adjust the brake pads
    2) The way that all the stopping power seems to come in one big lump

If you’re used to these things already and don’t mind them, keep the twoer and buy yourself a couple of really nice rims!! 🙂

cp

On a London Road the caliper is on the chainstay so the cable exit is pointing upwards… allowing crap and water in. I’d avoid mechanical discs and go hydraulic.

I have a Boardman CX with some Hope V Twins waiting to go on…

shermer75
    Free Member

On a London Road the caliper is on the chainstay so the cable exit is pointing upwards… allowing crap and water in. I’d avoid mechanical discs and go hydraulic.

This my current set up and it’s been fine so far (so far!). They’ve been on for around a year, on road only, about 100 miles a week.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Mine should be here next week, It’s being built on Friday. Ordered the flat bar version to start with as it’ll mainly be used for commuting. Picking up a set of drop bars and SRAM Apex Sti’s won’t be a problem for when I want to try some CX this winter.

brant
    Free Member

My girlfriend has commuted 1500 miles on the prototype London Road frame, in all weathers, and I assure you neither of us have maintained the brakes once other than a small amount of pad setting late last summer.

That sounds sort of callous and I’ll go and check their ok, but they seemed to be working OK when she was riding it this weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Planet X London Road’ is closed to new replies.