Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Planet-X Kaffenback, alternatives?
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting a Planet-X kaffenback as a winter commuter but they seem to have sold out in my size (large). Can anyone suggest something similar? Essentially I’m looking for a tough road bike for under £1000 that can take 30 or 32c tyres and mudguards ideally with a shimano 105 or better drivetrain.

druidh
    Free Member

Kona Sutra

ChrisS
    Free Member

Hmmm, Tiagra, disk brakes, racks, probably heavy? I know you love yours but I’m not really looking for a touring bike thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

Tiagra now? Mine was 105/XT. The racks come off mind…….

ChrisS
    Free Member

Well an odd mix of tiagra, xt and fsa with bar con shifters. Weight about 30lbs? Bit of a beast really. definitely aimed at the touring market.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Have you looked at someone like Thorn, maybe something like their club tour probably wont be 105 for £1000 but good quality reynolds steel frames. I know someone with a sherpa and its as tough as old boots excellent tourer.

Denis99
    Free Member

How about a Surly Long Haul Trucker ? This is my commuting bike, tough as old nails.

ChrisS
    Free Member

The Thorn Audax MK3 looks quite good but it’s £1099 for a 105 spec….

Harry_the_Spider

How about the Kaffenback’s cross dressing cousin?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Personnally I wouldn’t worry too much about needing a 105 specced bike as winter weather is very hard on many componenents and they can wear out and need replacing quickly. Wet salty roads don’t differentiate between tiagra and dura ace.

tang
    Free Member

build your own roadrat, i did. choice of long or short frame also. off the peg? specialized tricross is in with a shout.

geoffj
    ChrisS
    Free Member

I guess the Uncle John is a possibility, I really liked the look of the Genesis but I read somewhere that is was really heavy…. the CTC membership certainly don’t seem impressed by it CTC Forum 🙄

Considered a Road Rat, but don’t fancy the funky rear dropouts with a geared setup. I guess a Tricross might do if I wore a blindfold!

Maybe I’m just a picky bugger….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Planet-X Kaffenback, alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.