Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Planet X Kaffenback 2 – Thoughts
  • letmetalktomark

I’ve been on the look out for a frame and fork I could build up with some MTB spares for longer road orientated rides.

Appreciating Planet X/On One aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I was wondering on peoples thoughts of the Kaffenback as a basis for a road/audax/cross bike.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have just built an older one up (the bronze one) for the exact purpose you are. I know on the new ones the geo has been changed but one thing to check is front mech clearance if using mtb gearing. I have had a nightmare getting a mech to fit, I’ve had to ditch my guards to get one in. The previous owner had a braze on adaptor to get round this.

letmetalktomark

Interesting.

Are you saying the mech fouled the guards?

I was thinking of just going 32/42 and seeing how I get on with that and the when budgets allowed getting a specific road chainset.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

I have one, I use it mainly as a winter road bike and commuter.

It’s a perfectly functional bike for that purpose, it happily takes 28mm tyres and full guards, the disk brakes are great in the wet and it has a solid feel that means I feel it won’t break if I bash through potholes. It can also take a frame pump which is very useful for a winter bike IMO.

But, and this is fast approaching a deal breaker for me, it’s dull and I have little or no desire to ride it. It’s heavy (really heavy), the frame feels dead and no matter what components I put on it I can’t feel any great feeling towards it.

If you want a dull yet functional and versatile bike it’s perfect but don’t expect anything inspiring from the ride.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Are you saying the mech fouled the guards?

Yup, but I don’t know if the kaffenback 2 will suffer the same. I am running a 22/32/44 and every band on mech I tried fouled the guards (I’ve tried everything from XTR high clamp to 89 Deore II) I couldn’t even fit some of the newer mechs in the gap when I had guards on.

I’ve taken the guards off to get it to work until I can afford a full road groupset, It seems that a braze on mech and road chainset doesn’t foul the guards.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s heavy (really heavy)

If weight is an issue then the London Road is available for a similar price

£300

I don’t know what it’s like to ride though…

letmetalktomark

The Kaffenback in beige ( 😉 ) is only £149 F&F.

The London Road does look to be a better package but its twice the price 😕

shermer75
    Free Member

Fair point!

lunge

letmetalktomark, I bought mine before the London Road became available, if I was buying now I would buy a London Road, even bearing in mind the price difference.

As I said earlier, it is the most versatile bike I own and if I was only allowed 1 bike the Kaff would be it as it does everything. But, and I can’t emphasis this enough, it is just plain dull and uninspiring.

jerrys
    Free Member

I built one last year. It currently has a 48/38/28 road triple on it, full mudguards and 28mm durano plus tyres. Seems to ride fine to me, but I’ve got nothing to compare it to except my CdF which is also no lightweight, I only paid £129 for the F & F 🙂

velosam
    Free Member

I had one and for a winter commuter it was fine although I am probably used to dull bikes. Its a heavy though and the London is probably nippier.

What make it work for me was changing the wheels to a hope/ H+ build which were a revelation compared to the standard set.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Kaffenback 2 – Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.