Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Planet X Full Monty
  • PJay
    Free Member

I ride my current bike, a rigid steel hardtail, on road and on tracks and trails. I’ve been riding similar bikes in the same way for years and have never really worried much about ‘designations’; I guess that it’s pretty much gravel biking though.

I’m 50 at the end of the year so might treat myself to a new bike (I haven’t had one for years) and am beginning to wonder whether my current ride (at over 27lbs) is a little overbuilt for what I ride and perhaps building up a ‘proper‘ gravel bike.

I really like the look of the Tripster AT but would be working with a rather limited budget and keep looking at the Planet X Full Monty which, on the face of it, is a similar aluminium frame, carbon fork package but a massive £350 less than the Tripster.

Reviews of the 50/50 Fully Monty seem really good but information on the Planet X website is a little sparse.

Does anyone have experience of the Full Monty and is it a decent package?

Other recommendations are of course welcome. I’d be looking for something that would take a double or triple chainset (possibly a Shimano touring triple) with rack and mudguard mounts.

oldnpastit

Does the P-X Full Monty have internal cable routing, and options for brakes anything more upmarket than BB5s?

I’ve recently bought a used Boardman cross bike from the classifieds, and it seems pretty nice (light, stiff, comfy) and does everything those bikes do as far as I can tell.

If you’ve survived for nearly 50 years then I think you deserve something nice. It’s not easy being old.

PJay
    Free Member

Cable routing is external. As for brakes I can’t any reason why you couldn’t fit drop bar hydros. I know that Planet X/On-One aren’t a ‘high kudos’ brand but I’ve had a couple of Inbreds and my wife owns a Scandal and the Full Monty does seem really good value.

I hadn’t considered 50 to be ‘old’ as such (so thanks for that 🙂 ) but it’s certainly a slippery slope!

superstu
    Free Member

Arkose?

What is the budget? £1,000 gets tiagra a great frame and fork combo and hydro brakes https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-2-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV275623?esvt=54376-GOUKE2240708&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1215320-1&esvcrea=183930392617&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-495532802872%3Apla-267602698932&esvo=EV275623-M-BKRD&esvaid=50080&gclid=CNmNorKNotQCFUONGwodqbUDfw – I have a 2016 and there’s pages on here of users extolling their virtues.

Cannondale Slate and GT grade looks good and review well. There’s a lot of options to be honest and most look really capable. https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-grade-105-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV281668?esvt=54376-GOUKE2241158&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1215304-1&esvcrea=183930392593&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-495532802872%3Apla-186748260056&esvo=EV281668-53-GRPH&esvaid=50080&gclid=CKD15vWNotQCFQ-3GwodLGIAzg

Incidentally I’ve bought frames and bikes from O-O in the past (still have an inbred) and i find them decent vfm, although the London road fiasco was a bit…well crap to be honest.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Tell you what, the wheels on that Monty are excellent value. My brother was on a budget and bought a set to replace the woeful Raleigh shite he had previously.

PJay
    Free Member

Not a popular frame then?

I’m afraid that I’m not aware of the ‘London Road fiasco’; is it something I need to be aware of then? The Fully Monty does seem to be a revamped London Road. There are plenty of other options if the Fully Monty isn’t a goer.

antigee

another alternative – the 3rd bottle mount would sway me plus a good reputation for customer service – i have a couple of on one / planet x bikes but some people have had quality issues that seemed impossibly hard to resolve and it hasn’t done their reputation any favours despite some excellent products

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks Antigee, I’d forgotten the Cameo (although I remember drooling over the titanium Broken Road). The Pinacle Arkose that SuperStu has pointed out looks a belter too.

I’m in no rush as my current ride is fine and I’m still a little unsure what sort of bike I actually want. I’ve looked at all sorts of options and always seem to end up back a a Singular Swift (more familiar territory) possibly built up as a gravel bike with a drop bar; it probably wouldn’t be any lighter than my current hardtail but I’m no racer.

antigee

Its a tough call but if riding a lot of gravel then ali’ framed bikes are possibly a little less forgiving – I’m not from the steel is real camp but I’m considering replacing my knackered (damaged a seat stay) Kinesis pro6 but looking at steel options based on possible comfort considerations

P20

I’ve got Full Monty. Nice bike to ride. Comfortable and handles well. I bought one of the self build ultegra bikes, so excellent value. Compared to my previous cx bikes, it’s more relaxed/less road bike like compared to my Cannondale CAADx. It’s stiffer and more responsive than my old Giant TCX.
    It’s got reasonable tyre clearance, Nano 40 fit the front, but the rear will catch if your running a front mech.
    I’ve also managed to kill a rear wheel bearing on limited mileage

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks P20. To be honest I’m rather bewildered by all of the choice and cross over (road bikes, CX, gravel, monstercross, drop bar mountain bikes). I guess that I’ve been a gravel biker for years (long before the actual designation existed) without knowing it and have been perfectly happy doing it on a steel hardtail with semi-slick tyres.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m afraid that I’m not aware of the ‘London Road fiasco’

Many of the frames shipped with seat tubes internal diameter far exceeding their spec so seat posts wouldn’t fit, Planet X delt with the situation by denying it, cue much anger and thinning out of customer base

The fun starts at page 6:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-planet-x-london-road-frmaeset-for-150/page/6

mattbee

Love my Camino Al. Was running it with 700c wheels & G Ones, (40mm). Fast and pretty comfortable, plus enough room to fit full mudguards for winter road riding.
    I’ve now got 650b wheels and WTB Horizons on it, still fast but so much more comfortable off road. Only had traction issues on sloppy mud & some greasy chalky bits of South Downs.
    I’ll be looking at upgrading to the ti version some point this year but the al is well worth a look.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Tyre volume over frame material for comfort imo.
    I’d be ruling out anything that doesn’t at least have the option to fit a 650b Thunder Burt in there.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s pricier and heavier (steel) but I have been spending a lot of time drooling over the Faran Fairlight

Faran

PJay
    Free Member

The Sonder Cameo does look nice.

The Faran does look lovely too and am not hung up on weight (as above my current ride’s steel & 27 1/2lbs) but here’s the thing:

Singular Swift & fork: 2.3kg frame weight in medium size, 1.1kg fork with uncut steerer

Fairlight Faran: FRAME – 2.18Kg FORK – 1.22Kg

So as a frame/fork package they weigh the same and I’m back to the Swift again.

I can’t make up my mind if I want something lighter and more roady, or just something new.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I am just about to pull the trigger on a planet x full monty. £1000. Is it worth upgradeing the wheels for £150 to the fullcrum racing 700?

Any other advice before I buy this?

MoreCashThanDash

We have a few Full Monty owners in the cycle club, all seem very happy with them

mos

I’ve just received a Pickenflick with the Gipiemme Roccia wheelset & they are chuffing boat anchors. If it’s these you’re looking to upgrade, then yes do it.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Thanks, i think I might spend the extra 150 and upgrade.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Full Monty’ is closed to new replies.