Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Planet X EC130-E or Giant Advanced SL
  • drewd2324
    Free Member

Hi,

Some help needed, I am going to buy a 2nd hand bike, something with a decent spec and frame.

I have been offered an as new Planet X ec130-e with full ultegra di2 group set for £1500 or another option is a 2 year old Giant TCR Advanced SL with mechanical ultegra groupset (well looked after and not massive miles done).

Which option would be the best?

Any help much appreciated

Drew

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Giant as it will probably work 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

TCR

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 TCR

Or you could get this and a wheel upgrade for about the same price…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-vitesse-evo-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135395

(10% off with BC membership)

maxlite
    Free Member

TCR!

drewd2324
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Looks like a clear TCR vote 🙂

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got an EC-130E with Ultegra DI2 on it. I like it. It’s comfy, quick, and looks good. Crucially, it’s not yet another Giant 🙂

TiRed

TCR every time. Check the bottom bracket to saddle top length. The integrated seatpost can be chopped down further and spaced upwards by about 3cm. A meticulous owner will still have the spacers. The frames also came with an extralight starnut for bonding into the forks

Di2 is nice, but an SL frame is a Grand Tour stage winning bike.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How much is the TCR? You can buy a brand new one for £1,200 with Ultegra

Bregante

Not an SL you can’t..

drewd2324
    Free Member

The TCR is about £1350, think it is about £3000 new, this one has upgraded handle bars and stem included!

Would you guys think about this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-vitesse-evo-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135395

Or still go TCR?

drewd2324
    Free Member

The one i am looking at is pretty much the same as this but a couple of upgrades as mentioned above

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-tcr-advanced-sl-M-l-54cm-/112082565207?hash=item1a18a43857:g:4DsAAOSw3xJXo2Gi

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A mate of mine ordered one of them Vitus bikes a couple of days ago, gets very good reviews

drewd2324
    Free Member

Yeah i’ve just been reading some reviews, seems to be a lot of bike for the money!

Would you choose over a 2nd hand TCR Advanced SL but??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The one i am looking at is pretty much the same as this but a couple of upgrades as mentioned above

The worst groupset shimano have ever made.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not too sure what you would be getting from an Advanced SL 2nd hand over a brand new Advanced.

I would say wheels are worth while upgrades but bars/stems etc a bit samey

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Ultegra isn’t that bad is it David?
    I’ve not ridden either bike…but the PX has grown on me a little recently!

chakaping
    Free Member

If it’s 10sp ultegra on the tcr then I’d get the Vitus for sure.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Even average components on a good frame will always be better than shiny things on a shit frame.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THat 10 speed stuff; shite compared to the previous and recent groupsets.

Still works; just not as well as any of the others. And it the left shifters break.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Even average components on a good frame will always be better than shiny things on a shit frame.

Yeh, I’d agree.

But, you don’t really get a shit frame on a fifteen hundred quid bike these days though……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, but one straight from a catalogue v one designed, moulded and made in house…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OK, but one straight from a catalogue v one designed, moulded and made in house…..

True! If you’re after the best lateral stiffness and highest vertical compliance then a good frame is worth investing in.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a pro level frame and has good reviews, but don’t let that get in the way of your tired clichés about catalogue frames.

plus-one

I’ve went from 2013 TCR advanced sl(integrated mast) full dura ace 9000( only moved it on as I stopped racing and it was far too nice to not use regular)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zD7RCk]Vitus Zenium Pro SL[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

However as you do I missed having a Sunday best bike 6 months later but didn’t want to spend a fortune so I picked up a vitus Zenium sl pro frame set(last year) £350 alloy 1150g and built it with dura ace 9000 and carbon clinchers

Stunning bike to look at and a sublime ride comfy too 8)

Don’t get me wrong if I had the money I’d have another advanced sl in a heartbeat but this does the same job just as fast

Guess what I’m saying is vitus know they’re stuff.. and don’t discount a high end alloy frame they are comfier than most carbon frames for not too much of a weight increase

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

pro level

Which teams?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Guess what I’m saying is vitus know they’re shit.

This typo makes I larf!

don’t discount a high end alloy frame they are comfier than most carbon frames for not too much of a weight increase

This is very true.

plus-one

Lol I did mean shit but as in know what they’re doing 😀

I’ve edited post to not give the wrong idea 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve edited post to not give the wrong idea

There, their, they’re.

Etc. 🙂

plus-one

You’re your good 😉

Sure An post squad ride vitus ?

chakaping
    Free Member

You know better than this man I’m sure Captain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cool. He got his team sponsored! Good for him! (Met him aeons ago. Very nice chap!)

drewd2324
    Free Member

Is the Ultegra 10 Speed that bad?

Reason enough to avoid the TCR?

I do like the Vitus but its not the most exciting looking bike…….

plus-one

The 10 speed ultegra was quite wooly feeling 🙁

Wouldn’t put me off it though personally I’d up your game and look at this 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252504651461

drewd2324
    Free Member

I can’t really up my game much more atm or there will be divorce papers arriving in the post 🙂

tbh i am only cycling a year and i’ve been riding a Giant Defy 3 to start with.

A guy that i cycle with is selling the TCR and i thought it would be a good buy for me atm. Shouldnt have much depreciation and i can hopefully get a couple of years hassle free cycling out of it, anyone i’ve spoken to said i should notice a substantial difference from the defy.

I just cant decide if i am better buying something new (like the Vitus) or go with the tried and tested TCR :-\

cp

The 10 speed ultegra was quite wooly feeling

It’s the 6700 on the giant above (and for that matter 105 5700) that were shimanos first gear-cable-under-bar-tape effort, and for shimano it was awful.

6600 and 5600 10 speed were great!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Giant Defy 3 is a bloody good bike.

The TCR will depreciate just like any other bike.

You appear a bit confused about what different bikes will give you, it sounds like you need to go and ride some bikes.

I recently posted a thread on here about bikes in exactly the same price bracket, might be worth a look.

Personally I wouldn’t be buying a 2 yr old bike at that price bracket, especially as you would be getting in to compatibility issues with newer kit

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The TCR will depreciate just like any other bike

Worse if anything. Giant’s, whilst being superb bikes in general seem to loose money 2nd hand like no one’s business, except maybe a Vitus….

plus-one

If it’s a toss up between the tcr and vitus I’d buy the vitus .. It will be every bit as quick as the tcr and its current 11 speed with warranty etc..

legend
    Free Member

Is a 2 year old SL not equivalent to a current Pro (at very best)? A new, discounted, 11 speed TCR sounds like it would be the best alternative option

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Planet X EC130-E or Giant Advanced SL’ is closed to new replies.