• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Planet x dirty disco – discuss
  • yathers
    Free Member

So, for a while I was revved up over the pickenflick, but the gearing put me off, so,,, now I see the dirty disco in stock, i’ve not really got much info on these, the look the part, but has anyone got any real life experience of owning one, test rides etc. They do look rather nice and they deffo fit what I’m after,,, i’m just not sure if I should wait for the updated pickenflick (not sure if one is coming or not) or just pull the trigger and get one of these dirty disco’s. What do people recon??

takisawa2

Mike Smith did 18,000 miles around the world on one, in 90 days…

Spud

Behave! I’m really fancying getting one. Wanted one first time round. I wish they’d sell out and save me having to explain to Mrs Spud!!

Northwind

There’s a frame and forks on Pinkbike btw. (under “29ers”, because Pinkbike is full of mongos)

Daffy

What’s wrong with the gearing on the Pickenflick?

mattsccm
    Free Member

The 28/42 chainset puts people off. I wasn’t happy when my first one arrived with that despite being told otherwise. Actually its fine.42/11 gives a gear of 103 inches which is more than a 52/14. I do run out of gears at about 35mph when I spin out at about 120rpm. The maths may be wrong there. But who the hell needs to pedal at that speed?
    The drop between the chainrings is less than a normal compact and with a 11/25 cassette on the 2nd one I have gears plenty low enough for most of the time. The original 11/32 goes back on for hill rides .
    Mine is used as a pure road bike. Its great.

Daffy

Mine’s running full road gearing:

1.8mm spacer on the DS bb cup.

BadlyWiredDog

Mike Smith did 18,000 miles around the world on one, in 90 days…

Also a fella called Mike Hall did pretty much the same as this Mike Smith chap.

Also, fwiw, Dirty Disco frames and forks seem tp be going for 400 quid on eBay direct from Planet-X / On One which is 200 quid less than on the website. Interesting…

yathers
    Free Member

humm, again interested in the pickenflick with road gearing, I just recon it would of been too easy to spin on road as it was spec’d. Looks mint daffy, did you buy as frame and build your own up??

Jamie
    Free Member

Making no attempt to find out for myself, as on the phone, why is the DD £300 more than the XLS?

yathers
    Free Member

Yeah good point Jamie, £300 extra is a lot, whats the difference between the 2 frames?? and why such a large price difference for frames that look similar??

jonk

I was ready to buy the XLS but opted for the DD because the 56 size fitted me better over the 55 or 57 XLS, the fork is full carbon and much lighter and the geometry suited my purpose for it better. I have taken it all over both offroad and road. Mine is a custom build ultegra, crests on pro 2, hope v-twin and cost about £1500 all in.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I had one. It was ok.

Spud

Any owners know or could measure the axle-crown length on the fork?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Planet x dirty disco – discuss’ is closed to new replies.