Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Planet X carbon road bike internal cabling shot ?
  • gingerman69

Hi

Doing my community service bit for a friend who is having some difficulties with his Planet X carbon road bike just over one year old. The cabling cannot be threaded back through the frame – local bike shop tried for hours then agreed to send it back to Planet X – however as over one year old they say nothing they can do to help as out of warranty and cannot be repaired – best offer was 10% of a new frame .

If the internal cable runs get broken ( how could they break or could it be a manufacturing fault ) are they repairable or is that it bike in skip ? He has tried the bike with cables strapped to outside but looks a bit like a school project to cross a bike with a guitar !

His thoughts are to give up on Planet X and find a good new or second hand carbon road frame but anyone else got any thoughts ?

Cheers

scruff9252

No help to offer, but watches with interest as have recently bought a p-x TT bike.

parkesie
    Free Member

Hoover + string then pull new cable and sleeve through. Or Drill grind pull whatever holds the the internal runs in and pull them out and run full length outers through.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

local bike shop tried for hours

😯

gingerman69

So only option to run outer cables parkesie? Any idea how the inner guides could break ?

Thanks for info

parkesie
    Free Member

Inners +dirt slowly saw through original internal routing. Id try running new plastic straw through but putting full length outer through the frame would probably be easier.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I thought px offered 5 years of warranty on there frames? Bit SH1T if only one year!

scruff9252

Thinking about this, I think a planet x chap commended on this forum that sometimes the internal guides / straws are removed during being built up to reduce friction.

When recabling, before removing the existing cables, you can slide new guides along the inner, whip out the old cable, insert new inner then remove guide.

I’d be questioning why your lbs didn’t think of thar before whipping your cables out frankly.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be questioning why your lbs didn’t think of thar before whipping your cables out frankly.

I can think of two reasons:

1. The old guide might not have a large enough diameter to allow a new guide to be pushed through it
    2. The LBS didn’t know that the old guide was broken

shermer75
    Free Member

It would work if you pulled the old guide out first though (with the old cable inner still in the frame). This would also give you a chance to see if the old guide is broken

lunge

Stick on cable guides? Won’t look too bad and won’t cost too much either.

wicki
    Free Member

Planet X seams like a good idea at the time but after 😥

gingerman69

Mmmm thanks all for the help – still not sure how it could be that broken to write off frame …outer space meant to. Be able to be changed – have to have a look.

Cheers

dantsw13

If it’s anything like my old rt-80 the internal cabling is full outer rather than guides, so it may not be broken. The secret is to always have either an outer or inner cable left in place.

So:
    1. Slide the old outer off the inner, leaving the inner in place.
    2. Start from the back, and slide new outer over the old inner through the frame.
    3. Remove the old inner, keeping the new outer in place.
    4. Fit the new inner through the shifter, then thread it through the new outer, and tidy everything up.

If I simply removed all cables from my internal routing, it would be a nightmare to get it sorted.

Do you have any photos of the cable entry/exits?

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve recabled 100s of bikes with internal cable routing including Planet X with internal cable routing issues.

as long as you can mount a hard point at each entry/exit point, and fill the space with a low friction internal routing sheath, you should be able to get the front and rear derailleur systems to work reliably.

This may require some frame modification, but as they claim the frame is out of warranty, nothing to lose?

However, if there is internal debris or obstruction caused by a poor quality layup (i.e. random fibres, layup bladder, paper, etc.) you may find your effort thwarted as this can cause friction and prevent a clean routing path

a really good starting point is a bright torch and dental mirror or in the extreme case a probe for a video source so you can have a good look inside the frame

its surprising the mods I have had to do even on brand new “big brand” frames to get cabling to work properly; this is widening for a supposed “Di2 compatible” frame just to fit the darn connector through the chainstay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Planet X carbon road bike internal cabling shot ?’ is closed to new replies.