Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • planet x bike bags..anyone got one?… are they any good?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

they look good for the money, need one for dh bike to alps.

anyone got one?

slugwash
    Free Member

When are you going Carl? I might be able to lend you mine. It would be an incentive to remove and rebuild my Trek EX from it which has been inside it since my last Alps trip in 2011 😯

carlphillips
    Free Member

not til next year! just spotted it and thought they looked cheap enough to get and stash away for trips etc,
    thanks for the offer of a loan but wouldn’t mind getting one anyway, planning on more trips away from next year on..
    i take it you not been riding much then or just on your fixie?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slugwash
    Free Member

i take it you not been riding much then or just on your fixie?

It rained a lot last year so I stayed off the moor and I didn’t go to the Alps in 2012. The 456 picked up any slack 🙂

As for your original question, mine’s a Planet X bag from the 1990s but it does the job. The current ones look a shade bigger with more internal pockets and IIRC, other Dartmoor riders have them and have taken them on Alp trips and they haven’t fallen apart in ten minutes. HTH.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers, will probably just get one.

slugwash
    Free Member

IIRC, other Dartmoor riders have them and have taken them on Alp trips and they haven’t fallen apart in ten minutes.

Achtung hold the front page!

T’was actually a Planet X cardboard box that Burchy1 used on the trips but as it lasted for at least two trips then maybe you should just get a box, Planet X or whatever 😉

Andalucía 2010…

Alps 2011….

stumpy01

Yeah. I’ve got a Planet X bike bag and so has a mate. Has lasted pretty well & is as good as most other similarly priced bags I have seen. It’s exactly the same bag as the CRC branded one.
    When you pack it, get a box from Halfords, cut it down and use it to line the bag. It helps keep it rigid for easy wheeling round the airport.

charliedontsurf

I’ve got one. Only problem is the mice in the shed like nicking the padding to make their mouse house.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Ive got 3 in rotation. had them for 10 years I guess for the oldest one. Great bags, had many thousands of pounds worth of carbon road and mtb’s in them over the years on prob 50+ trips still in good nick.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sounds promising! used a cardboard box last time, but they got battered very quickly, could’ve done with a bit more protection from the airport staff, as a few of us ended up with several delicate (bike) pointy bits sticking out of the box.

Burchy1
    Free Member

That box is a four trip veteran. It’s survived the slightly too narrow escalator in the first pic, walking into a granite pillar in Geneva airport whilst I was looking at girls and being dragged back through the airport with a bust arm.

Box plus points for me are, porters can’t throw them easily (no handles), they are as sturdy as you want (double skinning them), and they can be repaired easily whilst away. Best of all though is they get to go inside the transfer van as the cardboard would get soaked if it rained on the trailer 😉

MrSparkle

I borrowed Terrahawk’s PX bike bag to go to SSEC. It was just the job.

andyl
    Free Member

walking into a granite pillar in Geneva airport whilst I was looking at girls

Geneva airport is great… 😀

ae212060
    Free Member

As previously mentioned, one of these combines with a cut down bike box as a liner is an efficient, cheap combo

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Me ‘n’ her have one each. They’ve survived loads of trips now with no damage to the bikes.

That said, as they’re essentially a soft padded bag, I wouldn’t neccessarily trust them to protect a lightweight xc bike or a roadie from crush damage, as well as a hardshell case or something stiffer like an Evoc one. Absolutely fine with something that’s happy to be thrown down rocks though.

(tip – use any body armour you’re taking as padding – elbow pads on the rear dropouts, leg pads round the fork legs etc)

LMT
    Free Member

Save you buying one, if your birmingham based ive got:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/7151/Avenir-Padded-Bike-Bag.html
    e
    Can let you have it for a couple of bottles of magners! brought by mistake, wanted a way to carry the bike in the car, but got a towbar/rack instead. Its like new, never used.

carlphillips
    Free Member

LMT you legend you have mail!!!.

bro in law lives in brum so could collect from you, my mail is in my profile for picking up arrangements..

many thanks,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘planet x bike bags..anyone got one?… are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.