Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Planet x A 57 wheelset any good?
  • matty456
    Free Member

Looking at these, seem ok for £99, anyone recommend anything better? Will be used for road, off road, cx etc.

Ta

charliemort

I looked at these

sure they are fine but they are 130mm (road) rear hub spacing, so may be an issue if trying to put in a mtb frame

sandwicheater

Had them on my commuter road bike for the last year. Not the lightest but solid and cheap.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of some Askiums from http://www.bike-discount.de for £99 + postage. Rose also have Shimano RS10s for £78 + postage. Both decent training wheels.

Can’t comment on the PX wheels, sorry.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ve got the model c’s which were a lighter iirc; they share the same px sl hubs i think. The bearings gave out in a few months of regular use and needed changing. Been running fine since and i only swapped the bearings for some cheapo ebay jobbies, so god knows how rubbish the px ones were. Not a hard job to swap them, but don’t expect px to offer any assistance on what bearings etc, why would they know what was in their own branded hubs, the pricks. But fortunately Google leads you to a few threads on branded with all the info you need as it seems i’m not the only one to have to do an early bearing change.

Edit – much as i would say the model c’s were fine for the money, i take the askiums at that price over them everytime.

matty456
    Free Member

Thats good info thanks, they are going on a pompino single speed and I want to use off road, paths trails, cx etc. Are road wheels ok to use for cx too? Anyone had any issues with the RS10’s ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

pompino

pompinos are 120 or 135 mm spacing . a57s are 130.

twinklydave

Used them on the Uncle John for years for commuting/cx/messing about (now using Model B’s as they’re a bit lighter). Original bearings don’t last for ages, but they are fantastically simple to replace with some decent ones when they do give up.

No issues with the 5mm difference in the spacing – just tighten the QR up a bit more 🙂

RickyRah
    Free Member

I should have added that the Askiums which I ordered are for a CX build.

Anyone had any issues with the RS10’s ?

I had RS10s on my last road bike and they ran fine for 2 years until I sold the bike. I only had to clean out the rear bearings once. They do have a realtively low spoke count (20/24 I think) but should be fine for CX. I think they’re a bargain for £78.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

mine were ok though the rear kept breaking spokes, front has been fine.

matty456
    Free Member

The RS10’s are looking good, well within budget. I’ve got 120mm rear spacing on my pomp so i do i just need to change the spacers on the hub by 5mm each side?

wwaswas

Wouldn’t you need a shorter axle too or it’ll poke through the dropouts and you won’t be able tighten the QR?

jota180
    Free Member

They came on my PX and were very flexy from day one I ended up having to rebuild them with all new spokes after giving them a good look over, a few of them looked like this

They’re OK now with new spokes and good tension though

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Planet x A 57 wheelset any good?’ is closed to new replies.