• This topic has 194 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • Planet Earth II – oh yes!
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I must remember to watch the last few episodes on iPlayer, every recent Sunday I’ve realised the time too late to watch the live broadcast, I simply barely watch traditional TV at all these days.

welshfarmer

Agree 100% about the use of imperial measurements. Means absolutely nothing to me. May as well speak Russian as use Fahrenheit. Really unnecessary. Guessing it is done in order to appeal more to the American audience?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got last week’s and another catch up on yet.

Downloaded all the previous episodes for a trip to the US the other day. Watched each of them twice! Even on a tablet, the experience was superb. Just such great TV.

We have the original series and Blue Planet on DVD ready and waiting for the children to be the right age to really get it. Still a little young for some of the blood and guts, even though they get the idea of predator and prey.

chojin
    Free Member

Come on Sir David, 2016 is nearly done… Hang on in there!

bikebouy
    Free Member

First one I’ve watched out of the series, you lot are right..

It’s all about the cinematic visualisation innit.

Superficial
    Free Member

Cities was fantastic, really great viewing. I never really cared for the birds sections of previous episodes but the aerial views of peregrines in NYC was amazing.

Might have to go back and watch the original series – it’s all on Netflix (Planet Earth 1, blue planet, human planet, frozen planet).

CountZero

Jon Taylor » So I’m enjoying the Planet Earth II viewing but
    Am I the only one who thinks that the use of Farenheit, feet (and I presume at some point Firkins and Furlongs) is archaic and out of place?

Fine by me, and I’m sure there’s still a very large number of viewers who still habitually use those every day.
    I guess it’s slipped your notice that road signs still use miles as a measurement?
    Not to mention a number of bicycle dimensions, wheels, frames sizes, etc.
    Oh, and how about the size of TV screens…
    I bet you really piss off the landlord of your pub by refusing to ask for a pint of beer…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry to be a grump but I struggled though Mountains and ran out of enthusiasm. Yes the camera work is amazing (eg fighting eagles) but I don’t care for the dumbed down narration (not Sir Richard’s fault in fact without him I suspect it would be dire) or all the human interest how we did that nonsense.

CFH didn’t see this weeks but in Singapore there is a decent kittle bar called Over Easy between One Fullerton and the Merlion Fountain which as the sun goes down has some fairly decent sized bats about (bar does free mini burgers whenever the stock market is down 2 days in a row). I am no Monkey fan but plenty of places to go and be hassled by the agressive little barstewards.

sadexpunk

superb series. as above, when i first heard this weeks was going to be ‘cities’ i was a little underwhelmed, how wrong i was.

didnt like the ickle baby piggywiggies being snatched tho 😥

matt_outandabout

We’re really enjoying them here.
    Only criticism is that it seems a dumbed down narration, rather than Sir David’s usual enthusiastic and slightly random but great learning and insight type narration.

ransos
    Free Member

(not Sir Richard’s fault in fact without him I suspect it would be dire)

He died some time ago.

doris5000

Fine by me, and I’m sure there’s still a very large number of viewers who still habitually use those every day.

Yes but there are also a large number of under 40s too 😉

GrahamS

We have the original series and Blue Planet on DVD ready and waiting for the children to be the right age to really get it. Still a little young for some of the blood and guts

DVD/BlueRay out now – just in time for Christmas.

Got one ordered for my nephew who is a massive fan of Blue Planet, Planet Earth 1 etc

My 6 year old daughter is still a bit traumatised by the snakes vs iguana drama – but I’ll probably watch the rest of them with her at some point too 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

Agree re the use of degrees F, etc. Definitely done for the US market but quite why they couldn’t have done two commentaries, one for the US and Daily Mail readers and one for those of us in the modern world.

scud
    Free Member

Is it me or with the earlier Planet Earth series, didn’t they have they have two versions? An “adult” one shown in the evening, but also a child friendly version at around 5pm?

Think that would be a good idea if not, my daughter is 6 and would love 70% of it, but wouldn’t like the scary bits.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have just binged watched it as Mrs M cannot watch it (doesn’t like seeing animals being eaten by other animals). Cities was fascinating, the catfish eating the pidgeons was very reminiscent of killer whales stalking seals.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Well that was rather good.

Could have used slightly less overdramatic soundtrack, and I agree with the comments on the commentary – what gives?

Farenheit / celcius, US audience, so what.

PrinceJohn

Those turtles tho…. :*-(

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yeah, it wasnt a good day to be a turtle or a piglet 😥

PrinceJohn

Oh, wasn’t sure if that was amazement or fear on the cameraman’s face when the leopard was wandering up to his hide, given how many attacks on humans there have been..

GrahamS

Oh god, are they baby turtles? May have to warn the missus before we watch that one!

(We visited a turtle sanctuary in Malaysia back in 2003, where we stayed up all night to watch a turtle come in to lay her eggs in the sand. We stroked her shell as she laid them. Then we released a bucketful of hatchlings, holding them in our hands, and then letting them go to face the waiting terrors. It was an emotional thing)

franksinatra

We visited a turtle sanctuary in Malaysia back in 2003, where we stayed up all night to watch a turtle come in to lay her eggs in the sand. We stroked her shell as she laid them. Then we released a bucketful of hatchlings, holding them in our hands, and then letting them go to face the waiting terrors. It was an emotional thing

You might struggle a bit then with last nights episode

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve swum with turtles off Barbados.

Heart strings were yanked.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Oh god, are they baby turtles?

Getting run over, falling down drains, being eaten by crabs, in their thousands.

My mrs seemed to have a bit of a moment with that bit.

Bizarrely, they didn’t show any of them getting to the ocean. Which they must do. Or they’d be extinct.

GrahamS

Right… hmmm.. I may fast forward that part… 😥

disco_stu
    Free Member

Is anyone on here lucky enough to be able to watch the 4k HDR test on iplayer?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38242187

Sadly it’s only working on Panasonic 4k screens at the moment.

xico
    Free Member

Have any of you noticed that in the latest version of Planet Earth the big cats go home hungry, and have any of you wondered why?

bails

Oh, wasn’t sure if that was amazement or fear on the cameraman’s face when the leopard was wandering up to his hide, given how many attacks on humans there have been..

I swear the hides must be made bigger than usual to accommodate the camera crew’s balls!

The one in the grasslands where the bears, tigers and elephants were destroying the camera traps, so the cameraman just says “don’t worry guys, I’ll just stay here and film. No point wasting more cameras”. 😯

anagallis_arvensis

Spent a summer many years ago volunteering for a turtle conservation charity in Greece. Did not enjoy that part last night!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Might have to go back and watch the original series – it’s all on Netflix (Planet Earth 1, blue planet, human planet, frozen planet).

Wouldn’t hurry to do it, Planet Earth 2 was very very similar to Planet Earth 1 both in the animals filmed and the commentary, watching both after each other ruined it a bit for me.

batfink
    Free Member

yeeeees…. the point at which the Jr turtle fell down the drain, leaving only his waving flipper visible, tipped Mrs Batfink over the edge. Recycling has increased 300% in our house since then.

That link to the independent article was a lifesaver.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Warm fuzzy from the independent story:

more younger viewers watching it than The X Factor.

alpin
    Free Member

Interesting interview with Planet Earth producer on R4 PM show…. 13.12. About 20 mins in.

alpin
    Free Member

Planet Earth the big cats go home hungry, and have any of you wondered why?

So as not to upset the fragile sensitivities of the cotton wooled viewers?

Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Planet Earth II – oh yes!’ is closed to new replies.