Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 493 total)
  • Plane crash in the alps
  • hora
    Free Member

Could it be a auto pilot/systems major issue that made the plane prepare for landing?

LHS
    Free Member

The big question is no matter what the root cause for a controlled descent into a mountain, why during the 8 minute descent was no radio transmission broadcast? It logically points to a incapcitation of the aircrew i.e oxygen starvation.

hora
    Free Member

Major electrical issue?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It logically points to a incapcitation of the aircrew i.e oxygen starvation.

The wife always comments on this. They call it ‘time of useful consciousness’ and at 30,000ft it’s about 15 seconds. The passengers all get drop down masks in the event of the sudden loss of cabin pressure but the pilots have to reach down and pull out their own supplies and then fit them because there is no ‘overhead’ compartment that you can fit them in on a flight deck.

There was a plane a few years ago that lost touch with air traffic and fighter jets were scrambled. They were able to visually confirm the passengers were all alive but the pilots were either unconscious or by that point dead. Plane ditched into the sea when it ran out of fuel.

Awful awful way to go. Nothing the passengers could do. They couldn’t access the flight because it was locked.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

maybe hora, but the airspeed was kept constant, which suggests to me that engines (and hence) electrical systems were all alive and working.

It logically points to a incapcitation of the aircrew i.e oxygen starvation

agreed, oxygen starvation leading to inability to fly the plane, maybe just about being able to get the autopilot set before collapsing – but with a horribly wrong path

sparksmcguff

@geetee. Got a friend who has spent the last 5 years as a “western” pilot flying out of Japan. He’s employed on the basis that he is western and so won’t simple do as the older pilot/manual says. He’s one of 10 western pilots for the regional airline he works for – all employed for the reasons you alluded too.

Flaperon

Major electrical issue?

It’s a aeroplane. Doesn’t need electricity to fly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

They couldn’t access the flight because it was locked.

@geetee
    – really ? Personally I’d give smashing the door down a really good go

It’s a aeroplane. Doesn’t need electricity to fly.

@flaperon
    , it’s a modern aircraft and is so totally reliant on electricity. You don’t have cables controlling things these days it’s all electrical.

Very bizzare that the aircraft was absolutely on the correct flight path but just descended fairly rapidly. Seems like the automatic navigation/control systems where working partially at least. They flew past Marseilles so if there had been a major issue and the pilots where in control they could have turned back.

imnotverygood

@flaperon, it’s a modern aircraft and is so totally reliant on electricity. You don’t have cables controlling things these days it’s all electrical.

I may be wrong but I believe he flies one.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just tragic. RIP to those on board.

I’m sure they’ll resolve this quickly as they’ve found the FDR according to the Beeb.

geetee1972
    Free Member

@geetee – really ? Personally I’d give smashing the door down a really good go

Well since 9/11 they’ve largely made the flight deck a secure place.

Kryton57

Great. Nervous flyer here notices 2 days ago my holiday plane has changed from a 747 to an A330…

RIP. 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

RIP to all and condolences to all families especially for the 16 schoolchildren. Heatbreaking and chilling as I have flown in and out of Geneva today without any knowledge until I was back in London. Awful news.

(Actually saw first female BA pilot at LHR and flight back had lady First Officer)

slowoldman

Well given no-one yet knows what caused it let’s all share what we reckon happened.

siwhite
    Free Member

My sister was on an Airbus that had to make an emergency landing at Barcelona only last week…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3002206/Ryanair-plane-makes-emergency-landing-Barcelona-fire-extinguisher-discharges.html

…(and is the quoted expert in the Daily Fail article)

The cause of that one was an accidental discharge of a Halon fire extinguisher in the cockpit – the pilots had to go to emergency oxygen and the plane descended and diverted. I know from experience that Halon (used to be used by Police public order teams, but now banned…) is excellent at putting out fires – but horrendous when you accidentally breathe it in – almost as if you haven’t inhaled at all, which makes you gasp but your lungs are already full, so you gasp etc etc.

I wonder if a similar thing happened today, but oxygen wasn’t reached in time?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Kryton57

Fret not; I fly an A330 for a living and it’s a very safe aeroplane. The 320 is too, in fairness.

Far more chance of getting killed on your daily commute to work on the UK roads, assuming you don’t work at home!

maxtorque

Worth noting, for the more nervous flyers, that if you want to avoid dying on your way to your holiday, then statistically, you are much much better off deliberately taking more care as you drive to the airport, than you are worrying about your plane crashing…..

(i bet not one of those nervous flyers even thinks about crashing their car on the way to the airport……)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Terrible thing especially since there was a group of school kids on board. But air travel is safer now than ever though no consolation to the families involved. It was s very quick descent (5000ft/min so not typical – 8 mins from cruise altitude instead of around 30 mins according to Sky news) so clearly not a controlled descent into terrain, and pilots don’t fly aircraft these days so not an issue of oxygen starvation – the aircraft would have flown on for a good couple or three hours on autopilot until it ran out of fuel as the Helios aircraft did. Whatever happened the pilots had no time to react or even get useful coms out. We must wait until the experts analyse the data.

slowoldman

We must wait until the experts analyse the data.

Ah, rationality at last.

cobrakai

Terrible news. A320 has an excellent safety record and I’ve always been impressed with germanwings pilots. Not enough info at the moment so only speculation.

Siwhite, Ryanair don’t fly A320’s. The dailyfail article correctly states 737.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

With modern avionics, and GPS, flying into a cloud stuffed with rocks is much less likely to happen than back in the forties, fifties and sixties; thinking of an airliner that flew into the Boisson Glacier on Mt Blanc, and another that flew into a glacier in South America, which only came to light in recent years.
    Personally, I’d be much more afraid of flying over certain unstable parts of the world, politically speaking.

Electronics have undoubtedly made airliners safer, however, many pilots can no longer fly by the seat of their pants so when the electronics go wrong the aircraft ends up spinning into the ocean – even when they have good visibility/a horizon.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

16 minutes of largely inane twaddle in the BBC news coverage. Sad and inappropriate. Most of the detail (sic) is of no relevance to the general public.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

16 minutes of largely inane twaddle in the BBC news coverage. Sad and inappropriate. Most of the detail (sic) is of no relevance to the general public.

+1

All we needed to know was that a plane had gone down, I didn’t need to see images of crying parents. It’s **** depressing, I’m hardened enough as it is.

nickc

condolences to all, Brassneck I hope your colleagues are safe.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The wife always comments on this. They call it ‘time of useful consciousness’ and at 30,000ft it’s about 15 seconds. The passengers all get drop down masks in the event of the sudden loss of cabin pressure but the pilots have to reach down and pull out their own supplies and then fit them because there is no ‘overhead’ compartment that you can fit them in on a flight deck.

There was a plane a few years ago that lost touch with air traffic and fighter jets were scrambled. They were able to visually confirm the passengers were all alive but the pilots were either unconscious or by that point dead. Plane ditched into the sea when it ran out of fuel.

Awful awful way to go. Nothing the passengers could do. They couldn’t access the flight because it was locked.

I find it a little unbelievable that the likes of Boeing and Airbus can’t redesign the flight decks, see how much crap Lockheed has managed to cut out of the F-35 cockpit.

Or just wear a flight helmet and mask all the time like the RAF heavy pilots. Then again, the airline pilots would mess up their hair up.

doh
    Free Member

Or just wear a flight helmet and mask all the time like the RAF heavy pilots. Then again, the airline pilots would mess up their hair up.

I’ve Never seen any Hercules or c-17 pilots with helmet and mask for routine flight.(I’m only a plane geek no actual experience)

The plane in question had a routine service yesterday, in the Greek crash I remember it just having been serviced but some problem with a valve in the tail was missed/introduced.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah thinking about, they do quite often forgo them. Whilst the fast jet and heli lot have to put up with them. I guess wearing them for extended flights day in and day out could cause serious neck issues.

If pilots passing out because they can’t get masks on in under 15 seconds is a problem, I still can’t see why they can’t design a very lightweight strap and drill routinely so the masks are a couple of seconds away from being on at all times.

There’s always room for improvement somewhere.

Flaperon

I still can’t see why they can’t design a very lightweight strap and drill routinely so the masks are a couple of seconds away from being on at all times.

They have and they do.

njee20
    Free Member

Are you thinking of Helios 522? The passengers all died too, except for one flight attendant, who gained access to the flight deck, but lacked the knowledge to fly the plane, it ran out of fuel and crashed into a mountain. I can’t even begin to imagine how terrifying that would be.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I was reading this earlier the same day
    Aviation herald

sharkbait
    Free Member

so clearly not a controlled descent

A real expert was on radio 2 yesterday and the decent rate matches a de-pressurisation scenario and he said it could well have been a controlled decent.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

THou the pilot oxygen mask don’t drop down, they are very easily accessible and to be fitted to over the head ONE HANDED. (pass one need two hands)
    and have diff air flow rates.
    Also the Pilots also have there own oxygen bottle, where passengers have a oxygen generator.

andyl
    Free Member

So de-pressurisation, set to rapid descent but maintain course, lost conciousness so no course deviation, mayday or levelling off, slammed into mountain?

Seems to be a safe bet at the moment. Not seen any mention of explosion/fire/fuel yet but the de-pressurisation scenario has to be more likely than a lack of fuel one, especially given previous history and lack of mayday.

Doesnt fit with stall behaviour (eg Air France pitot/stall crash) or massive structural failure (eg tail off)

Wonder if that plane has had a tail strike in the past?

Flaperon

So de-pressurisation, set to rapid descent but maintain course, lost conciousness so no course deviation, mayday or levelling off, slammed into mountain?

Seems to be a safe bet at the moment.

No, it’s not.

ElShalimo

I find all these “opinions” distasteful.
    There were probably Brits on that plane, their families or friends could end up reading this thread. Can you not find some other way of satisfying your engineering/aeronautical/know-it-all egos?

doh
    Free Member

ElShalimo – Member
    I find all these “opinions” distasteful.
    There were probably Brits on that plane, their families or friends could end up reading this thread. Can you not find some other way of satisfying your engineering/aeronautical/know-it-all egos?

Let’s hope they don’t have any access to TV radio or newspapers then.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are you thinking of Helios 522?

Yes that was the one. Truly a horrible thing; the only person left on board alive having to sit there while the plane went down.

That particular incident sparked a long conversation between my wife and I. Yes, pilots are drilled regularly for how to deal with a sudden cabin depressurisation but that’s not what happened on the Helios flight (and this is in no way speculation on the German Wings incident, it’s just discussion).

This was slow despressurisation. The passenger air supply is automatically triggered when the pressure drops too low. That doesn’t happen on the flight deck and and as you can read from the account of Helio, there is no entirely unambiguous warning that you’re losing cabin pressure. There were warnings, but the pilots mistoook them for something else. Hypoxia has a huge impact on congnitive processing so once it sets in, your decision making and judgement is impaired compounding the problem.

I only know about this stuff from my wife but I still don’t understand why there isn’t a very specific, unambiguous warning system on the flight deck that tells the pilots they are losing air pressure. Maybe some planes have them, but the 737 doesn’t.

maxtorque

I find all the “opinion” heartening.

The fact people are interested, want to discuss, and actually care about what happens to other people in the world.

Discussing “what might have happened” is a natural human reaction, and part of the healing process.

The world would be a terrible place if the reaction to say a plane crash was “so what” wouldn’t it…….

scotroutes

If I’d lost friends or family in a plane crash, a mountain biking forum is the very first place I’d be looking to for answers.

nickjb
    Free Member

The world would be a terrible place if the reaction to say a plane crash was “so what” wouldn’t it…….

Good point. That seems to pretty much be the attitude to road deaths. About 3000 people have been killed on the roads since this plane went down.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 493 total)

The topic ‘Plane crash in the alps’ is closed to new replies.