Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • plane and conveyor belt
  • Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Mintman – what about when they are outside of the earth's atmosphere – how do they accelerate then?

IanMunro
    Free Member

The rocket itself is 'pushing' against the inertia of the propellent which is being ejected.

I've had mornings after a vindaloo like that.

eckinspain
    Free Member

FFS, THE GROUND SPEED IS TOTALLY IRELAVANT!

A plane will only fly given sufficient AIRSPEED.

I agree, but surely the airspeed is zero? The treadmill is going round, the wheels are moving but the plane is staying still, no?

benji_allen
    Free Member

No. the wheels will be spinning twice as fast. The plane will still go forward at the same speed. Unless there's enough friction in the wheel hubs to stop it moving forward. In which case it won't take off.

It's easy to see why it causes confusion though.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

I thought in the original problem the conveyor belt continually matched the speed of the plane, so the plane goes forward at 10 mph, conveyor moves back at 10 mph therefore overall speed of plane through air (wind over wings) equals 0. Plane accelerates to 20mph, conveyor matches, plane through air = 0 and so on?

benji_allen
    Free Member

It has no affect the air movement though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Can a Swan take off on a treadmill?

benji_allen
    Free Member

After it's broken your arm.

LHS
    Free Member

I think some trolls have crept into this thread! 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The arm is irrelevant. Can the swan take off?

benji_allen
    Free Member

No. Because it uses it's legs to get itself moving in the first place. The plane doesn't.

GrahamS

I thought in the original problem the conveyor belt continually matched the speed of the plane, so the plane goes forward at 10 mph, conveyor moves back at 10 mph therefore overall speed of plane through air (wind over wings) equals 0. Plane accelerates to 20mph, conveyor matches, plane through air = 0 and so on?

Read my re-stating of the problem near the start of this thread.

The conveyor belt won't be able to prevent the plane from moving forward, no matter what speed you run it at.

It could be whizzing backwards at 200mph and the plane would still be able to move forward along it and take off normally (provided the wheel bearings and tyres could handle it).

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

What about a waiter wearing roller skates on a teradmill bringing me my drink on a tray? How fast would he have to skate if the conveyor continually matched his forward speed? Would I get thristy? Would he spill the drink whilst frantically skating on the spot? Whats for lunch?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So can a swan fly if it hasn't got any legs?

LHS
    Free Member

Swan would take off, how do you think it takes off from a pond? Runs through the water? It uses the beating of its wings to provide both forward and vertical movement.

benji_allen
    Free Member

A swan can't take of from standstill vertically. I don't think so anyway. They have to be moving forward as far as I know. It would trip over as well. Is there a pond on the treadmill?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No, but the swan is carrying a family of american hamsters on their way to florida, and has had it's legs bitten off by a pike.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Those hamsters are not real americans – they're Mexican illegal aliens. The feds will be down on them like a ton of bricks.

toys19
    Free Member

What about a pair of conveyor belts beside each other running in opposite directions, so on the right hand side the wheels are doing full speed forward , and vice versa on the left, would that turn the plane in to a helicopter?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How many feds are equivalent to a ton of bricks?

I'm starting to feel sorry for the swan, even if it has broken someone's arm.

BigJohn

This is so passé.

Helicopters on turntables are the new big thing.

Flaperon

No! The engines are pushing it forward, not the wheels. It's broadly analogous to putting the plane on an infinitely long, infinitely smooth ice rink. A car couldn't move because the wheels would just spin (a la treadmill) but because a plane moves forward by throwing air out the back of the engines, it'll accelerate and take off normally.

Doesn't matter what the wheels are doing. In fact, if the system is considered to be ideal, you can set the treadmill going whatever speed you want at the very start and the plane won't move backwards – only forwards, under it's own engine power.

toys19
    Free Member

The tonne of bricks is an imperial measure of law enforcement, now superseded by the SI unit COP.

1 tonne of bricks = 30 COPs

For information another measure of law enforcement at the lower end of the scale is the ASBO equvialent to 0.3 of a microCOP or 0.3 e-6 COP's

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Dammit – everyone always feels sorry for the swans, but they are the real menace here! Exploiting the mexican hamsters in an illegal slave trade.

I know a fed who can carry a ton of bricks – just not all at the same time.

🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

Read my re-stating of the problem near the start of this thread.

The conveyor belt won't be able to prevent the plane from moving forward, no matter what speed you run it at.

It could be whizzing backwards at 200mph and the plane would still be able to move forward along it and take off normally (provided the wheel bearings and tyres could handle it).

okay, got it now. Ta

Wiredchops
    Free Member

This thread is a perfect example of the futility of online discussion, for a start it's already been done three or four times on here alone. I thought the 100 hours I've spent on Final Fantasy IV were wasted… Chuff me.

konabunny
    Free Member

Maybe it can be fitted with a rollerskate like those dogs that get their hind legs cut off.

toys19
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

Maybe it can be fitted with a rollerskate like those dogs that get their hind legs cut off.

I reckon a float a'la sea plane would be better…

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Now then – could a plane LAND safely on a conveyor belt?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Right I'm happy about the swan now.

But the hamsters are they economic migrants or are they illegal drug mule hamsters? How much blow can and illegal drug mule hamster carry?

scaredypants

mule-hamster

man, that's sick – there's NO WAY you could mate a mule with a hamster (or is this some kind of teleporting genetic reassembly mix-up)

tree-magnet
    Free Member

A swan could take off on a treadmill.

Although it wouldn't move forward under the power of it's feet, it would remain stationary untill eventually its wings would create enough lift through flapping to enable it to begin to move. It's feet are only in touch with the water briefly (or in this case, tredmill) and the wings do the majority of the work. Additionally, the swan doesn't take off by wind speed over it's wing, but by down force from flapping, so eventually it would lift.

Mind you, the speed of the tredmill would probably rip it's feet off when it touchs it as it approaches take off speed…

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘plane and conveyor belt’ is closed to new replies.