Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • plane and conveyor belt
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

It's simple. The conveyor belt is irrelevant.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If its a very long treadmill then the aircraft will take off ie the treadmill would need to be the same length as a standard runway. However you would need pretty damn good tyres as the wheels would be turning at some speed by the time the aircraft took off.

"ie if the engines aren't on but you fire wind at it really fast, will it start to fly?" Yep that would be one of them glider things…

The engines on a plane create thrust, but dont actually make the aircraft take off its the air moving above and below the wing (as the thrust from the engines propells the aircraft forward) that causes the aircraft to take to the air. Engines are not needed to keep aircraft in the air, they just keep it moving forward enough to keep the air flowing around the wing.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

It's simple, the conveyor belt is always irrelevant.

mogrim

However you would need pretty damn good tyres as the wheels would be turning at some speed by the time the aircraft took off.

So if the friction in the wheel bearings led to the undercarriage catching on fire, and the whole plane going up in a massive fireball: in that case, only bits of the plane would fly. So the answer is a partial yes, not a full one?

LHS
    Free Member

Rotation speed of the wheels would be twice that of normal. Normal take-off speed is in the region of 160mph so the tyres and wheel bearings would need to be rated to 320mph.

GrahamS

So… can a sea plane take off from a fast flowing river? 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Probably a little less for these beasts 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1KtHP4Geo

crazy-legs

More worryingly than this being debated on a bike forum…
    This question caused a very long debate over on both Pprune and airliners.net with even professional pilots arguing that the plane wouldn't take off. I might ask the captain next time I board a Ryanair flight – if he says no I'll re-book!

njee20
    Free Member

You'll have to pay £20 to talk to him though, and another £30 to get an answer.

jemima
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member
    YES, for crying out loud, YES!

With a name like Flaperon, if he says yes, then YES!

CountZero

You'll have to pay £20 to talk to him though, and another £30 to get an answer.

Sadly, that's so very, very true.

eckinspain
    Free Member

when I read the question I assume that the plane is not moving in relation to the ground (as a person running on a treadmill is not moving in relation to the floor of the gym). Therefore there is no air moving over the wings, therefore no take-off.

stumpy01

eckinspain – a person requires their feet to be in contact with the ground to move – hence, if the ground is moving at the same speed but opposite direction to that which they are trying to run at, then they will remain stationary – same as a car on a rolling road.

Ask yourself whether the plane uses it's wheels to propel itself forward while attempting to take off or whether it uses the big spinny thing attached to the engine and whether that big spinny thing is concerned about what's happening to the wheels? 😀

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

No, the tyres would explode.
    Edit: With LHS et al…

MrNutt
    Free Member

what if both plane and treadmill were inside a vacuum?

scaredypants

Terrible news, all you stats/offspring puzzle fans:

I think (allowing for bearing friction & safe tyres) the plane will take off, therefore clearly that is the wrong answer 😕

Now, if the pilot was a traveller and the passengers all bankers or MPs, would the weight of stw opprobrium allow it to take off ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stumpy – Ask yourself if the plane is flying from the moment it starts to move forwards or has to reach a certain speed before the effect of lift can overcome the force of gravity?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I find these threads immensely entertaining.

Ignoring peripheral silliness about wheel bearings and tyre ratings etc. I really can't understand how anyone would think the answer is no.

stumpy01

Stumpy – Ask yourself if the plane is flying from the moment it starts to move forwards or has to reach a certain speed before the effect of lift can overcome the force of gravity?

Eh?

The plane will not fly until the air moving over the wings reaches a certain speed. It is almost immaterial as to whether the plane is actually moving (e.g. stationary plane, very strong head wind).
    Assuming this 'experiment' takes place on a totally still day, then the aircraft will have to obtain a ground speed high enough that the airflow over the wings creates enough lift to overcome gravity.

EDIT – should have said that the wing will start to overcome the force of gravity from the moment that the aircraft gains enough speed for it to generate 'some' lift. At this point, the plane will start to become 'lighter' (if we imagine a runway that not only has a conveyor attached but a giant set of scales under it). Eventually the plane will be going so fast that the lift=the weight of the aircraft and any further increase in speed will cause the plane to fly…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So how does it reach that speed if the ground is always moving back at a speed greater than the speed at which it can propel itself forwards?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

So how does it reach that speed if the ground is always moving back at a speed greater than the speed at which it can propel itself forwards?

why does the speed at which the ground is moving backwards have any effect whatsoever on the speed at which the plane can propel itself forwards?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

FFS, THE GROUND SPEED IS TOTALLY IRELAVANT!

A plane will only fly given sufficient AIRSPEED.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Gravity?

Why won't my jet propelled bike link work? Anyhow, will a jet propelled bike go forwards on a tread mill going backwards at the exact same speed or stay still?

GrahamS

Forward

(and if it doesn't then you really need to grease your hubs).

DrP

If you tie a bit of string to the front of the plane, then pull it forward by that string (imagine God is pulling on the string…) – does it matter one bit which way the wheels are moving? Forwards/backwards – as long as the plane is moving forwards, the wheels don't matter (neither does the floor).

Now – imagine this – it's NOT God pulling the string, but propellers/jet pulling the plane…….

Geesh – how hard is it to get!

DrP

benji_allen
    Free Member

Put a model car on a treadmill and push if forward with your finger. Does it move forwards? Of course it does.

That explains it perfectly IMO. Unless there enough friction in the bearings it doesnt take any more effort to push either. Put plane in place of model car, and plane engines in place of your hand. Or am I getting it wrong?

Edit: Dr P's explanation is good.

stumpy01

Oh no – I tried for so long not to post on this thread & now I can't stop…..

The Southern Yeti – Member

You've kind of answered your own question there…..'propel itself forwards' is what you wrote….
    How does it do this??
    Does the plane rely on:
    a) the wheels which are just fitted to free spinnig hubs so the plane has something to sit on & move around the ground on, or
    b) the great big propeller/jet engine that has no contact with the ground and pushes heaps of air backwards

to propel itself along…..??

If your answer is a) you are wrong.
    If your answer is b) you are correct.

Considering that you went for b), then the little wheels can be doing whatever they want against a conveyor/hundreds of marbles/zilions of ants running the wrong way but the propeller/jet engine is still gonna be pushing air backwards causing the plane to move forwards………

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

HAHAHAHA, can I ask another question?

stumpy01

no.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Right people – stop being thick. Newton's 3rd Law explains it all.

stumpy01

…..?

Strain = (L'-L)/L

or am I looking in the wrong book? 😉

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

The every action having an equal and opposite reaction one… If people the people on here that say the plane wont take off are correct how are vertical take off and space travel possible?

konabunny
    Free Member

The whole reason Hovercraft can't fly but can only get a little bit off the ground is because they don't have any wheels.

Northwind

But would it make a sound?

konabunny
    Free Member

Depends on the Doppler effect. How fast is it moving? And how fast are you moving?

Mintman
    Free Member

Vertical take off and space travel do not rely on airspeed in the same way as an aircraft does. They basically use brute force from the engines to overcome the gravitational pull of the earth.

LHS
    Free Member

They use thrust from the engines to move the plane against the AIR

Just for anyone who missed that

ITS THE REACTION AGAINST THE AIR

for clarity

THE WHEELS AREN'T POWERED

🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

wait – so if the plane and conveyer belt was in a vacuum it wouldn't be able to take off? yeah, right!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What about if the plane is full of Americans on their way home from Disneyland?

LHS
    Free Member

The rocket itself is 'pushing' against the inertia of the propellent which is being ejected.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘plane and conveyor belt’ is closed to new replies.