Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plan B – what winter roadie/commuter bike…
  • MoreCashThanDash

The cost of fixing/upgrading the worn out groupset on my commuter (and possibly wheels) means that a new bike may be an option to consider.

I’d be wanting:

Full rack and mudguard mounts
    Carbon fork
    Proper clearance for 25mm tyres, and guards, and the correct size brakes to go with them
    Preferably a more relaxed “sportif” geometry rather than full on racer style

What does the panel recommend (or what has the panel seen lurking in sales recently!)

btw, before anyone mentions it, as I work for an offshoot of HMRC, we don’t have cycle to work, obviously too onerous for us to work out the tax thing…grrrrr!

Cheers

Steve

glenp
    Free Member

Kinesis Racelight Tk – exactly the qualities you’re looking for – very versatile and fast without being twitchy.

Here’s mine: Kinesis Reader’s Bikes – mine

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was looking at this yesterday. Ridgeback World series ought to fit the bill, but it’s a slightly odd line. Horizon at £630 seems to be what you’re after.

ourmaninthenorth

I always recommend what I have: Giant SCR. Alloy frame (with “sportive” geometry), carbon fork, easily runs 25c tyres, takes full guards and a rack.

I have the SCR 2.0 from two or three years back. Has had one new drivetrain and set of wheels. It’s my do everything, go (pretty much) everywhere bike.

That said, pretty much any audax style bike would do you.

Nick

Pompino

mugsys_m8

mugsys_m8

Planet X Kaffenback is the geared version of the On One Pompino and very happy I am with it too. Depite the lack of a cable stop on the rear for cantis/ V’s.

Used it for winter club runs, commuting and now it’s starting life as the tractor unit for Little Mugsys touring set up!

Or.. a roadrat?

boxelder

2nd hand CX bike.

yossarian
    Free Member

trek portland sounds right up your street

hillsplease

Ribble Winter frame on their bike builder/ special thing. Under £500 and you’re unlikely to get emotionally attached to it. Mine’s in Central Manchester if you want a look.

MoreCashThanDash

I have the old Ribble, but find 25mm tyres and guards is a very close fit – I really like the sloping TT version – bigger tyre clearance and more seatpost showing, but seems only one size left.

I may do a trawl for old Giant SCRs, in fact, a visit to the Giant dealer in Derby this afternoon may keep babyswadey amused in the rain…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plan B – what winter roadie/commuter bike…’ is closed to new replies.