Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Places to service Fox forks recommend? (alternatives to Mojo & TF)
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically I think a service for £100 is abit steep.

Any recommendations based on experience etc?

iain1775
    Free Member

Loco?
    but I just go to Dale at Sherwood Pines Cycles – £60/65 for shock or fork

argyle
    Free Member

http://www.pedals-edinburgh.com/

no complaints here – just got my floats back after a service and travel reduction

LoCo
    Free Member

Drop me a mail with what needs doing and I can quote you.
    All I do is suspension and nothing else, so the workshop is specifically setup for dealing supension units with all the correct tools and best quality fluids, seals e.t.c

hora
    Free Member

The forks only cost me £350. Seems daft to spend £100 servicing them.

Loco- It’d still come out around £100 when you throw in postage both ways.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do it yourself for about £60 (seals, washers, cleaners, oils/lubricants, tools). It’ll be cheaper in future because you’ll have the tools and the oils left over.

LoCo
    Free Member

I tried 😀 If you need parts give me a shout 😉

hora
    Free Member

I did this last Friday and overfilled the damper thus meant me having to compensate but dropping the air psi. Im sure in part it led to me flipping over the bars onto my knee!

I’m reasonably intelligent however I have zero patience.

Kit
    Free Member

Set up your own LBS in your living room so you don’t have to travel 20yds to the nearest one, get a competent mechanic at minimum wage, then charge yourself less than the time it would take said mechanic to do the work, thus losing yourself money but hey you’d be able to have a good chat with yourself and make yourself a cup of tea and you’d lock up at the end of the night being one more satisfied customer because you run such an honest and great LBS!

Bosh!

hora
    Free Member

Kit, I need more working capital from you.

We aint taking over the world with £10.

z1ppy

The forks only cost me £350. Seems daft to spend £100 servicing them.

Uuugh? Do what? Are you saying you got the forks cheap but service them will no longer make them a bargain?
    Yet you expect a decent life expectancy & performance from them 2nd hand without a service?

Mods please change of title please “Hora living up to his STW rep.”

pitduck
    Free Member

(I’m reasonably intelligent) 😯

hora
    Free Member

So your saying £100 for a general service is cheap?

We aint even talking adding in bushing costs either.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I did this last Friday and overfilled the damper thus meant me having to compensate but dropping the air psi. Im sure in part it led to me flipping over the bars onto my knee!

Suddenly the reason becomes clear for paying qualified persons to do something for you. Not all costs can be quantified.

z1ppy

So your saying £100 for a general service is cheap?[/I]

(assume you post is to mine) Nope, but if when I buy 2nd hand I take into account that they might need servicing, and so the price I am willing to pay reflects this. So if push does come to shove, my bargain is still a bargain…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got my forks and rear shock serviced from the bike chain just before christmas, can’t remember what I paid but I was pleasantly surprised with the bill.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Learn how to do it properly and you’ll be able to spend £450 on your forks next time. Muppet!

hora
    Free Member

Madness. How people into mountain biking have a ‘no fear’ approach to big bills.

Would you see this mentality in the roadie world?!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

null

Not that I buy anything else from them but the fork service has been fine and has free shipping if you can get to store (they send it to their service centre!).

LoCo
    Free Member

Just a note the Evans rear shock ‘service’ is an air can service and seals only.

wwaswas

How people into mountain biking have a ‘no fear’ approach to big bills.

I fear no pelican.

Maybe if you bought new, planned to keep stuff for a while and factored £100/year running costs in it wouldn;t seem so expensive?

spock
    Free Member
    scaredypants

I fear no pelican.

😀

hora
    Free Member

Maybe if you bought new, planned to keep stuff for a while

Like the numerous new Rockshox forks I had break on me? 🙄

Maybe if you bought new, planned to keep stuff for a while and factored £100/year running costs in it wouldn;t seem so expensive?

You are right. Spend alittle extra time on them and sort them myself. I ended up rushing the oil refill on them as I couldn’t find the funnel and ended up over-topping the night before the ride.

£100 I’d rather pay myself to do that for circa 40mins work. Plus I’ve got the spare wiper and seals kit already that came with the forks from the lad who only owned them for less than a month.

anjs
    Free Member

yes the cheap deals on shocks just look like air can service to me

LoCo
    Free Member

Use a big syringe, it more accurate, mail me and I’ll send you one if you like (F.O.C of course) 😀

edit, yes and the air seal kit is £9.49 plus postage, easy job that takes 10 mins.

jonb
    Free Member

Are instructions for fox services avalaible anywhere? I’ve got an shock and fork to do.

Three_Fish
    Free Member
    LoCo
    Free Member

jonb:

there you go: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

Edit: damn you and your Fish 😀

yoshimi

Loco – you refer to Evans as air can only – what do I get for my £55 off you? I’ve never even tried servicing any suspension so have no idea but my RP23 could do with some tlc

LoCo
    Free Member

Yoshi:

That’s a full strip, clean, inspection and rectification of any manufacturing defects. All seals in the damper are replaced and the unit has the oil and gas replaced. The air seals are also replaced as are the eyelet bushes. If spacer are needed they would be a little extra.
    I don’t like replacing stuff just for the sake of it, if they’re going to last another 12 months then why should you have to pay for it.
    Postage back is extra

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My money is that hora didn’t empty the damper fully, and this has put the total oil level too high. Schoolboy error.

gamo
    Free Member

http://www.flotecsuspension.co.uk/home.aspx
    Fairly new company, but good!

erny
    Free Member

Bike treks are running fox servicing courses,i’m booked on the 20th of feb

LoCo
    Free Member

Flotec, are charging for a clean, oil change and greasing the seals, wipers are extra.

If people are interested I’d be happy to do an evening course on servicing of forks.

forgotmename
    Free Member

I think stendec service fox bits.

Marko

Hi LoCo,

Well I’d be interested in an evening class.

Regards
    Marko

wors

Not had anything serviced, but just bought some sektors from simon (LoCo). Sound chap.

LoCo
    Free Member

Marko, ok cool I’ll have a work out and see what we can do.

Edit, Hora I was serious about the syringe, it wasn’t some random mic taking 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Loco I and I know a few other lads would definately be interested in an evening class for sure all of us pretty local to you too, Aberdare/Neath/Swansea Valley/Beacons 😉

It would be a good way for you to introduce us to the benefits of fork servicing – plus I am sure you would get sure fire loyalty to a local lad 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Places to service Fox forks recommend? (alternatives to Mojo & TF)’ is closed to new replies.