Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Places To Eat & Drink In Bradford
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Afternoon.
    Despite me working in Bradford, I try not to venture too far from my run from the station to the safety of my office so I don’t really know of anywhere decent to eat or drink in and around the centre.

Is there anywhere? Anywhere between the Interchange and Forster Square stations would be nice. Looking for somewhere nice for a few beers and some food. Nice pub that does both would be excellent.

Any suggestions?
    Dave

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Unfortunately the answer is no…

Are you get the train from Forster Square towards Shipley, if so there are a lot more opportunities for food and drink, especially in Saltaire.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hmm, thats what I feared…. Saltaire/Bingley is on the cards for later in the afternoon but could do to find somewhere half decent in Bradford itself for a few beers and some good food at lunchtime.

Might have to be Pizza Hut.

glenh
    Free Member

There are good places for food (unless you don’t like curry, in which case the choice is limited), and good ones for beer.
    I’m not sure there is anywhere that does both.

glenh
    Free Member

Nando’s is between the stations, for semi reasonable food.

CHB

For curry has to be Kashmir up the side of the Alhmbra. Eat downstairs and take your own drink in if you can’t wait.

muckytee
    Free Member

I have heard the buffet @ Bradford ain’t too bad? Never been myself mind…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

nandos? is that a joke?
    Anyone know if the Kashmir is open on a Saturday lunchtime? Might be an option if all else fails although was hoping to leave curry for later in the day….

CHB

Yes Kashmir is open sat lunchtime, been there regularly.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sparrow bier cafe on North Parade for beer, not sure about food there, but plenty of curry houses near Alhambra.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve never been but I know for certain that the best curry place in Bradford is Akbars.

http://www.akbars.co.uk/bradford

I’d go if I lived closer.

theotherjonv

used to travel up there every week. Lots of good curry, less so everything else. There’s an italian up a bit from the Alhambra was OK, and there’s a big Chinese / Thai place opposite the town hall that was Ok too.

Best (non curry) for me was Don’t tell Titus in Saltaire, but in no small part for the waitress.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I used to live across the road* from Akbars, I remember going in on their opening night on the way back from the pub, just for some nibbles, and having a really nice time. free wine, half price food, lovely.

sh*te area though, I won’t go back there now if you pay me.

* not literally across the road as that would put me in The Waggon & Horses, for which I once played football. But Napier Road (opposite Napier St & just off their map), which is the next street along from Marsland place

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers John – looks like the Sparrow ticks a lot of the boxes! We’ll definitely give that a whirl (might be tempted to pay it a visit on my lunch break one day next week!).

50+ bottled beers + whats on tap? Suspect that might become a favourite!

meehaja
    Free Member

Omar khans is the best curry place I’ve found in Bradford. Beer wise I like the beehive.

john_drummer
    Free Member

lots of real ales on draught at The Sparrow. Near the old “Yorkshire Penny Bank” at the top of Manor Row

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

the Fighting cock, its a great ale pub, off Thornton Rd.

The Karachi, The Prashad

Get out of bradford, its a hole. I live in Saltaire you’ll find good eating and drinking here.

john_drummer
    Free Member

true; Fanny’s Ale House is worth a visit just to say you’ve been to “Fanny’s Ale House” 😉 and no, I don’t think it’s on “back Fanny Street”

But I think the OP wanted somewhere to go during lunch? Bit of a trek to Saltaire & back in a lunch break.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No, its for a mates stag do. We’re all meeting in Bradford, going somewhere for lunch and a few beers, then carmageddon (I mean go-karting) and then the plan is to get outta there ASAP and on a train to Saltaire to sample Fanny’s (which sounds like it should be soooo much better than it is!) etc. Curry, probably drunken curry, will occur later in Bingley or Saltaire if anyone can suggest anywhere up that way?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Aagrah, Saltaire Road, opposite the Shipley Pride. Speaking of which, that’s not a bad pub these days either. And if you’re lucky, there might be a live band on too.

Alternatively, on Otley Road in Shipley, there’s Shimla Spice & Rajpoot next door to each other. not licensed so you’ll need to take your own drinks (available from Asda in Shipley open 24hrs & I think there’s a booze shop on Market Street)
    The Hockney pub behind them is ok.

Best avoid the pub next door on Otley Road though, our singer nearly got his nose bitten off outside that pub just for trying to help someone into a taxi 😯

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Saltaire to Shipley pub crawl – Boathouse / Don’t Tell Titus/ Fannys / The Victoria Hotel / The Shipley Pride – the rinse it in Shipley in dirty old pubs.

Curry – The Agraah, Shimla Spice, Adab ( great dirty curry house).

or do the pub crawl then get the train from Shipley to Leeds

theotherjonv

+1 for the Shipley Pride and then the Aagrah

Sancho
    Free Member

Bradford is a hole, just get some cans and some pies from Tesco it will be on a par with anything you can find in Bradford itself.
    then get out of there quick.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mmmm, Aagrah eat-until-you-die buffet… That’d be mint.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

DBW – That would be a great way end your evening.

Pub wise, I wouldn’t bother going beyond The Shipley Pride and into shipley town centre, the pubs there are sh1t.

&

Don’t bother with Bingley, crap pubs

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Echo above re Saltaire pubs, although spend less time in the Boat House & Dont Tell Titus as the prices are now stupidly high. There is also the Tramshed on Saltaire roundabout which is worthy of a Stag Do visit.

Curry vote for me would be Shimla Spice in Shipley (take your own booze) Aagrah you would have to book in advance and is not as good as it used to be. A cheap dirty curry would be Adab.

Its a fair way from the Karting track (been a few years since I went but great fun when its wet) in Bradford to Forster Square station.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bingley’s not that much cop these days for pubs (and I live there), I’d stay in Saltaire if I were you and go to the few pubs there and the Aagrah. Skipton is ok, but another 20mins on the train, but what they’ve got there is pretty much the same as Saltaire (Aagrah and same chain pub as Fanny’s).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Fannys isn’t a chain pub, its owned by a sweaty fat man (Marcus)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Places To Eat & Drink In Bradford’ is closed to new replies.