• This topic has 35 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Places or things from your youth that you miss
  • SaxonRider

Looking for a picture of a club from my youth for this thread, got me searching through images of the lake where my aunt and uncle had a cabin when I was growing up, and I am now experiencing physical heart-ache.

The place was amazing. In the Whiteshell Provincial Park on the Manitoba-Ontario border, it was a log cabin built on a cliff overlooking West Hawk Lake. My dad and my uncle built the place by hand, and there were stone steps that led down to the dock and boathouse on the water.

Many a summer night, we would sit down on the dock after a cold moonlit swim and listen to the loons.

In some ways it was a fairly typical Canadian experience, but regardless… what a privilege!

Just a glimpse of a small part of the lake:

the-muffin-man

Youth

fasthaggis

My Dad

weeksy

Anfield stadium.

SaxonRider

fasthaggis – Member
    My Dad

I’m with you there. 🙁

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hairless earlobes

Stevet1
    Free Member

freedom

DezB
    Free Member

Being attractive to the opposite sex 😥

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I’d show that Mark Webb a thing or two…

perchypanther
    Free Member

My mate Ewan.

We were best mates all through school and did the same course at Uni.
    Almost every happy memory of my childhood included him.

In second year at Uni he met a girl to whom I took an instant and mutual dislike. However, the choice was his to make and we tolerated each other for Ewan’s sake for the next four or five years.

Ewan got a job which took him away to the Falklands for three separate 6 month periods.

On the third of these he met another girl whilst he was there, who was from St Helena but was working in the Falklands.
    When he returned to the UK, he binned his long term girlfriend and was going to import the one from St Helena.
    We went out for a beer one night and he started telling me how he hadn’t been getting on with the original girfriend and how horrible she had been to him over an extended period of time.

That’s when I made the biggest mistake of my life to date.
    Instead of just listening without comment, I told him how much I had always despised her. I held nothing back. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

Three weeks later the St Helenian one was forgotten and he was back together with the original one. They were married less than a year later and are still together with two kids after 17 years.

I haven’t seen or heard from Ewan since he got back with her. I stupidly put him in an impossible position of having to choose between his wife and his best friend. He made the same choice I would have made in his place. I don’t blame him one tiny bit.

My fault. My biggest regret of my life.

darrell
    Free Member

just going out playing without a care in the world and meeting up with all your mates

scud
    Free Member

The affect of gravity on my body, i used to have large chest and thin waist at 25, no at 41, my chest has shrunk and my waist expanded, i expect by 65 i’ll have really fat ankles…..

johndoh
    Free Member

My dad. And my mum.

🙁

smell_it
    Free Member

The joy of a new grot mag.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The joy of a new grot mag

Wookster

30″ waist, No Hangovers….

senorj

There used to be a small music venue in Cockermouth called The Office .
    Had so many great evenings (&mornings) in there.
    Rip Errol .

garage-dweller

Live music. Usually 2 or 3 times a month in my late teens with people who liked rock, metal, blues.

Sitting with a couple of beers listening to a good album loudly too. Harder now there is always a kid asleep or a neighbour to think about.

Much harder to find time these days.

Northwind

Cas Rock Cafe and the Tap o Lauriston. Especially the Tap, never known a place to cause so many conversations with so many randoms, it was a total melting pot. And everyone was in a band. Sort of places that are culturally essential, but nobody in any position of authority cares because it’s the wrong sort of culture

Daffy

Woolworths

jambalaya
    Free Member

Team sports and two good knees ! We moved around a lot so no one place had a particulary fond memory as a kid. Uni and Postgrad where good, should have stayed on another 2 years really and tried for the PhD. Probably miss more things from my mid 20’s to mid 30’s than earlier.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Stimorol, I was convinced ( in 1983) it had a wee bit of billy in it.

ulysse
    Free Member

Ere, Perchy, that reminds me…
    Back in the 90’s i saw a video with this bloke with his arm in some bird right up to his elbow 😛

It was Rod Hull, you mucky minded pups

flanagaj
    Free Member

The simple life. No social media, no internet and 4 channels on the TV.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Racing these in the Fort Lauderdale Keys..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Racing these in the Fort Lauderdale Keys..

Ahhh the Sunfish, the illegitimate love child of an Oppie and a Laser.

Oppie club at Trearddur bay, you had sunshine, we had wind (lots), tide (lots), rocks (both the cliff and the pointy under the surface type), sharks (basking) and fog.

bencooper
    Free Member

My treehouse. It was amazing, in an old cherry tree in the garden, I mostly built it myself and it had a roof with opening glass skylight, a rope ladder you could pull up to keep out girls, and enough space to camp in at night. It was ace.

ferrals
    Free Member

Summer holidays

Having no concept of responsibility or worry about money/jobs etc

A lot of friends who I’ve lost touch with or fallen out with

Nipper99
    Free Member

Building dens out in the fields – we had some great ones with stoves/fireplaces etc to bivvy out in. As above, no social media mobile phones.

wilburt
    Free Member

Some lovely friends, male and female.
    Sometimes I see people now and think “hey thats such and such” only to realise thats how such and such looked 30 years ago and they are old now and I probably wouldnt recognise them.

teasel
    Free Member

Not that I climb many trees nowadays but the ability to fall out of them and land as if made of rubber is something I miss.

A good sense of hearing is also something I’d like to own again.

Being attractive to the opposite sex

Age has swung that in my favour; I get more offers now than ever.

I know – swoon, right… 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The smell of deep heat rub, as an athlete it was always the stench that filled up changing rooms of schools at county cross country races

flap_jack
    Free Member

The smell of a two-stroke running with castrol-r.

finbar
    Free Member

Time. Summer holidays, half term, after school, weekends, breaktime, lunchtime…

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Living in a civilized society rather than one on the verge of collapse.Vast swathes of this country are becoming Mad Max territories.All because of the greed of the greedheads.

wicki
    Free Member

Dorset, especially the coast between Seaton and Poole, many a great beach party along the coast when I was young, and just staring out to sea,and the storms too.

deep sigh.

monkeycmonkeydo where?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Places or things from your youth that you miss’ is closed to new replies.