Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pizza makers of the forum step forward.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Can anyone come up with a good reason why I shouldn’t attempt to make pizzas in a cast iron frying pan with a lid as a make shift oven on top of an open top braai ( I’m in Africa so I can call it that)

Unfortunately buying a Unni isn’t going to be possible.

maccruiskeen

Give it a go – you can’t die trying, the worst you can manage is a not-great pizza. If the lid is cast iron too try getting that as hot as possible before you start so that you’ve got good heat all around and don’t over-load it with toppings, especially the cheese.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye there will just be universal dissapointment from the 12 lads that want pizza haha.

Going to give it a punt but it will be hard to hide my **** ups 🙂 and ingredients are expensive ere.

Maybe next week I’ll go see the welder see if he cant make me a wee box out of scraps to immitate an oven on top of the braai

maccruiskeen

Give it a whirl – they might works as pizzas they might not – you could just make flatbreads and put the ingredients on top as a sort of open sandwich if they don’t work out as pizzas straight away.

As I said – don’t overload them and probably keep the pizza itself small relative to the pan

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Put something in the pan to lift the pizza and stop it from getting “fried”

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO its better to use a pitta bread and top that thinly with stuff than try and do that – It never worked that well as an oven when i tried it on a hob but it was not a complete disaster either but the cheese wont really melt

Marin
    Free Member

Crack on. Did it in Nepal. What’s the alternative?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

mine never looked that good 😳

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alternative is no pizza. We have gas hobs and the braai only.

To use pittas I would first have to make pittas …..

I’m also going to make naans in a similar fashion later interested week.

I was hoping if I got the pan hot enough prior to putting the pizza in the residual heat would heatghe inside quickly again to cook the toppings

Junkyard
    Free Member

nans are traditionally cooked in a pan not an oven so they will work – no flat bread is

Pitta is just an unleavened base so the dough cooks quicker

theotherjonv

For authenticity you want heat from beneath (hence a stone or a heavy based pan – several Uuni users on their FB page are recommending a steel base i.o stone because it reheats faster) and then flames above for the topping. But no reason why you can’t use the braai to give a hot base and then create heat above as you suggested. Caution would be that you have the two at suitable temps because if you need longer to melt and cook the toppings that it takes to cook the base, then you’ll get a burnt base and that’s not nice. Which is where flames come in because they’re instant heat, whereas once you take the lid off then you’ll lose temp fast.

But as others say – give it a go, and go easy on the topping so they do cook as fast as possible.

adscatt
    Free Member

I’ve made the Jamie Oliver quick pizza in a frying pan using self raising flour (I think it was self raising flour), we love homemade pizzas in our house and this frying pan pizza was pretty good so I’d say give it a go, I had to finish it under the grill for one which was overloaded with topping

blader1611
    Free Member

If they look a bit rubbish then just fold it up and call it a calzone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Good idea blader.

Doughs prooving just now. Not quite my standard 12 hr but I doubt the guys will notice haha.

My sauce is made and my mozzerlla is grated.

If it works I’ll be bringing back anchovies from the UK next hitch !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon they’ll be good, crack on.

Edit – no access to oxy-acet burning gear? That’d sort yet toppings….

piemonster

@Junkyard

nans are traditionally cooked in a pan

You MONSTER, and I thought you was vegan!

Andy_B

Pizza Hut fry their crap. Hopefully you can do better.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well it works.

I’m not gonna call it a pizza it’s a bit more like a topped naans. But it’s better than the take aways here.

It’s a thumbs up from the lads

finephilly
    Free Member

Good idea. it’ll work, no problems. Get a nice thick cast iron pan hot and use a bit of self raising flour in the dough to puff up the base.

niksnr
    Free Member

I thought naans were traditionally cooked stuck on the side of a tandoori?

trail_rat
    Free Member

they are But lacking a tandoor…well.

niksnr
    Free Member

Looks good. Id eat it (but that’s hardly high praise!

joshvegas
    Free Member

How about getting the pan hothothot then whack it in lid on. Coals on top.

tymbian
    Free Member

Following this just for the recepie that includes Syrup in the base..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Get the pan hot hot hot, then put the pizza on the lid and put the pan over it (as in cook it in the pan upside down).
    You need heat from above and below for good pizza.

thenorthwind

braai

Saw this on the gas/charcoal thread. Assumed you’d massively misspelt “grill”. Googled. Is educated.

hooli

My understanding is the lid will stop moisture escaping so the base will never cook well. You need the bottom hot enough to cook the base quickly (and let the moisture escape) and you need some heat around the top to cook the ingredients. To get your setup to work, I would imagine you need a much bigger lid suspended over the pan to trap rising heat and cook the toppings.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im in africa so i get away with it thenorthwind

Ill stick with calling them topped flat breads. base needed more salt and a little sugar but given i am measuring by eye and texture it will be a learning curve.

gonna do naans next time the saffas light the braai .

bruneep

Can give you a couple bags 1kg of caputo 00 flour if you fancy your chances going through customs next time you’re going out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I need to come see you and get some of that for my home pizzas. These lads can suffer with the west African bread flour. It’s course as ****.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pizza makers of the forum step forward.’ is closed to new replies.