Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Pizza express.
  • geoffj

The service is so variable its almost a lottery. A couple of years ago, the Perth branch was staffed almost exclusively by eastern europeans and the service was fantastic. On the last visit at the end of October it had reverted to being run by North Muirton neds and was ‘kin awful.

On recent experience I can recommend the one in Kendal and Southampton Row.

footflaps

PE’s business model is based on the use of discount vouchering as opposed to marketing budget to advertise.

Not sure that’s the case, a lot of restaurants are using discount vouchers now just to fill covers as discretionary spending has taken a big hit post 2008. It’s hurting the bottom line:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/27/tragus-cafe-rouge-strada-losses-restaurant-vouchers

dmorts

Is it just me or is it a strange name for the brand? Pizza Express, it sounds like a kebab shop. Also if the dough is made and toppings are ready to go, a pizza takes 10 mins max….. so why is their place called ‘express’?

EDIT: Bit of history from Wikipedia:

Founded in 1965 by Peter Boizot, PizzaExpress opened its first restaurant in London’s Wardour Street. Inspired by a trip to Italy, Boizot brought back to London a pizza oven from Naples and a chef from Sicily.[3] In 1969 jazz performances began at its Dean Street restaurant, London.[4] PizzaExpress was the first to bring pizza to the UK high street in 1965[3] and was the first to sell Peroni beer in the UK.[5]
    In 1995, PizzaExpress expanded into Ireland and currently operates 10 restaurants there under the brand name Milano.[6] The company also owns the brand name Marzano. Originally Marzano was used in countries where the brand name Pizza Express was not available, as with the use of the name Milano in Ireland, but it also exists in some territories, such as Cyprus, to differentiate between the restaurants selling primarily pizza and those offering a wider range of non-pizza meals inspired by Italy

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hatter

When you’re in a strange town on business and need a reliably decent meal PE fits the bill just fine, it won’t be memorable but it’ll do just fine.

The Pizzas in Italy though, oh my god, even little places that are essentially a stone oven set into a wall with a few plastic chairs next to it seem to churn out the most amazing food, if you think they’re no better than PE you’ve been taken to the wrong places.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It wasn’t “express” last night but the 40 mins between entering and getting food was a welcome change which gave iua us time to talk as a family.
    I also skipped the peroni as I was driving, but on seeing the price I was glad I was driving.
    All in all we enjoyed it and will go back to the same one as the staff were lovely and all the food was eaten.

llama

What restaurant can you buy a big (600ml?) Peroni for much less than £6 then?

(Pubs don’t count)

jamiea
    Free Member

Not sure about Pizza Express, but I’m not so keen on eating commercial pizza dough after learning what chemicals get thrown in 😯

Pizza night Friday with homemade soughdough pizza FTW!

Cheers,
    Jamie

mikewsmith
    Free Member

llama – Member
    (Pubs don’t count)

Virgin lounge Melbourne free…

onandon
    Free Member

PE if fine, it offers pretty decent pizza at a reasonable cost.
    The menue has prices and no one makes you order a large peroni. ( I don’t think 6 quid is too bad )

Two pizzas and two beers for just over £30. That’s not bad. It’s a bloomin bargain if you have one of the many vouchers.

Yes, its not the ultimate restaurant or the ultimate pizza. The same order in zizzi or Ask would be just as much and probably of a worse quality.

llama

Virgin lounge Melbourne free…

Has the champagne run out?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Probably not many, I wasn’t complaining at the price, (though the £4.20 a bottle stuff doesnt seem expensive ) just that I always seem to spend a lot in there. I blame the company I’m usually with.

Pigface
    Free Member

One of the only places that has anchovies, a pizza is not complete with out those little salty fishies, this apparently is not a commonly held belief 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I like it.

ninfan
    Free Member

We took my (hair shirt wearing) older brother there once, for my daughters birthday party – lovely pizza, bit I’ve never heard someone gripe so much about price, and he wasn’t even paying 😉

seriously, its a running comedy in the family, never spends a penny, vouchers for everything – even goes to the library to use the internet rather than pay for it at home. Just for a laugh we bought him Taybarns vouchers as a present once – I don’t think he ate for a week before or after 😆

DrP

Why not stay in and have fun with the kids building your own pizza, fun, easy and the ingredients are inexpensive… own choice of toppings…

Why not indeed… 🙄

Sometimes people like different things..

DrP

Cougar

Two pizzas and two beers for just over £30. That’s not bad.

You live in London, don’t you?

At an East Lancashire pub and then on to a kebabbery: Two pints of decent beer rather than fizzy pish, fiver; two 12″ pizzas, tenner. For “just over” thirty quid I could go out on the lash, grab a pizza on the way to getting a taxi home, and still have a tenner left.

Granted, the ‘ham’ is turkey painted pink, but as a voodoo vegetarianist this doesn’t overly concern me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why not stay in and have fun with the kids building your own pizza, fun, easy and the ingredients are inexpensive… own choice of toppings…

Yes, I agree. Wrightyson is a bad parent.

DrP

You live in London, don’t you?

Cougar, try ANY civilised town south of the mines…..
    Beer/cider’s at least £3.50 a pint, even in a dingy pub!

DrP

onandon
    Free Member

I live just outside London but I can’t think of a place I’ve visited in the uk or Europe where it has cost any less.

I’ve recently been in geneva for a few months. The same meal would cost around £80 – £100.

grum
    Free Member

At an East Lancashire pub and then on to a kebabbery: Two pints of decent beer rather than fizzy pish, fiver; two 12″ pizzas, tenner. For “just over” thirty quid I could go out on the lash, grab a pizza on the way to getting a taxi home, and still have a tenner left.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is ‘kebablishment’.

Still, comparing a takeout to a restaurant isn’t really fair. And you still have to live in East Lancs.

footflaps

And you still have to live in East Lancs.

Surely there’s no need to live North of the Watford gap in this day and age?

Jamie
    Free Member

And you still have to live in East Lancs.

…in the 1980s.

IHN

Unsurprising that people on STW would be all snobby about Pizza Express I suppose

It’s not snobbery from me, I simply think that PE is overpriced and underportioned.

There’s one in Cirencester, right next to a proper little Italian trattoria. A few times I’ve come out of the Italian after a really nice, really good value, home-cooked meal and looked at the folks in PE and thought ‘why’?

But, you know, each to their own.

catvet
    Free Member

A close mate of mine at uni, the nephew of Peter Boizot the founder of PE, floated PE on the stock market. Made a fortune, it then crashed under the new management, then bought it back into private ownership, rejigged and resold it for a huge amount!!
    Clever business strategy if it works!

grum
    Free Member

Unless you’re into mountain biking of course.

There’s one in Cirencester, right next to a proper little Italian trattoria. A few times I’ve come out of the Italian after a really nice, really good value, home-cooked meal and looked at the folks in PE and thought ‘why’?

Yeah, you definitely don’t sound like a snob – or massively smug. 😆

I’m all for independent restaurants, home-cooked food, yada yada yada – but I think PE do what they do well, and sometimes it’s what you want.

Can I also suggest if you think their portions are small you’re a greedy ****! I’m a big guy and I can barely finish most of their pizzas. I’d agree it’s a bit overpriced unless you are using a code though.

IHN

Yeah, you definitely don’t sound like a snob – or massively smug

I can assure you, I’m neither. I’m just confused as to why someone with a direct choice of two establishments serving a similar style of food would pick the one that has higher prices and inferior food. The answer is, of course, mainly, the power of branding.

I think PE do what they do well, and sometimes it’s what you want.

This is perfectly fair. Sometimes I just fancy a burger, and, as I’m not a food snob, if McD’s (or better still BK) is the nearest place doing it, that’s where I’ll go. However, if there was a place right next store to either that sold better burgers for a cheaper price, I’d go there.

Pigface
    Free Member

Clever business strategy if it works!

The guy that runs Hell Pizza in New Zealand did the same thing, started from scratch built a good chain and reputation, sold it, new owners screwed it up he bought it back.

Love Hell Pizza 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So far south of the Watford gap that it’s fine, anything from the channel to Cumbria/Durham/Northumberland is a dump really.

hooli

Pleased it isn’t just me who objects to £6 for a beer. FFS, it is not like there isn’t enough margin in a £10 or £12 pizza as it is. I reckon the pizza costs them about £2 to make so even taking into account the staff and overheads, the pizza makes them plenty of margin without raping me for a beer on top of it.

As far as I know they don’t even use a proper wood fired oven do they?

brassneck

Equally, our local family run trattoria, is more expensive than PE and serves pish. They trade on their ‘authenticity’ to the pseuds.

They don’t take Tesco vouchers either 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Pleased it isn’t just me who objects to £6 for a beer. FFS, it is not like there isn’t enough margin in a £10 or £12 pizza as it is. I reckon the pizza costs them about £2 to make so even taking into account the staff and overheads, the pizza makes them plenty of margin without raping me for a beer on top of it.

Did they force you in there at gunpoint?

I can assure you, I’m neither. I’m just confused as to why someone with a direct choice of two establishments serving a similar style of food would pick the one that has higher prices and inferior food in my opinion.

FTFY. Not everybody likes the same stuff – your opinion isn’t necessarily superior to other peoples’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon the pizza costs them about £2 to make so even taking into account the staff and overheads

So at £6.31/hr (UK Minimum wage) you get 19 minutes of staff time.
    Assuming it takes 2 mins to take your order, 3 to make the pizza, say 2 to slice it and bring it to your table and 2 to clear and wash up thats 9 mins which leaves £1 for ingredients, heating, lighting, insurance, ovens, and all that other shit that people making mad claims on the internet don’t understand. Our local cheap as **** pizza shop used to charge £6-8 for a large pizza just about thrown at you.

IHN

Equally, our local family run trattoria, is more expensive than PE and serves pish. They trade on their ‘authenticity’ to the pseuds.

Fair enough, but this means my other statement still applies, but this time in PE’s favour

I’m just confused as to why someone with a direct choice of two establishments serving a similar style of food would pick the one that has higher prices and inferior food. The answer is, of course, mainly, the power of branding.

They don’t take Tesco vouchers either

I live in Cirencester darling, do they take Waitrose vouchers? 🙂

IHN

Not everybody likes the same stuff – your opinion isn’t necessarily superior to other peoples’.

Exactly, which is why I said

grum
    Free Member

Came across as: ‘if those stupid plebs want to eat their rubbish chain food then let them, I’ll be at the authentic trattoria, revelling in my awesomeness’ 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well it is STW Grum

IHN

Why do[s]if[/s] those stupid plebs want to eat their rubbish chain food then let them, I’ll be at[b]when they too could be at[/b] the authentic trattoria, revelling in the glow of my awesomeness

🙂

footflaps

your opinion isn’t necessarily superior to other peoples’.

+1

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

the Pizza Express Calabrese is pretty much my favouite dish ever!

we go to them in London all the time, 2-4-1 with the tastecard, or there was a 40% off deal not long back. they’re a contractor’s dream.

what makes me angry is when they try to refuse the tasecard because we didnt book or something! even when its completely dead. ive even been turned away at the door for not pre-booking only to stand outside phone them up and book a table for right then! jumped up jobsworths.they also pull yor pants down with Peroni! as if anyone ever pays full price tho!?

grum
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    well it is STW Grum

Why do those stupid plebs want to eat their rubbish chain food, when they too could be at the authentic trattoria, revelling in the glow of my awesomeness

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Pizza express.’ is closed to new replies.