• This topic has 81 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Favourite pizza?
  • theotherjonv

my daughter’s best friend from junior school is Italian, so we’ve had some great home made ones at their place. ‘Highlight’ was a veggie one with broccoli, asparagus and artichoke, my wife still raves about it.

(I don’t like artichoke or asparagus so it passed me by)

chewkw
    Free Member

Or just add your own anchovies … 😛

Pigface
    Free Member

I make a cheat pizza using a flat garlic bread, harrisa paste then ham, peporoni, onoion with cheese and anchovies, 10 mins in the oven and nom nom nom. Nice and spicy.

scuttler

Crumbled sausage and red onion with a little bit of rocket thrown over.

lunge

Thin and crisp base.
    Tomato sauce, but not too much.
    Mozzarella, but in lumps not grated.
    Bit of goats cheese.
    Chorizo or some kind of spicy sausage.
    Parma ham or some kind of salty meat.
    Lots of ground pepper.

Nomnomnom.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I make a cheat pizza

No you don’t, you make posh cheese on toast! 😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Similar to theotherjohn, had pizza actually in Italy (northern high mountain cafe) and it was simple, yet exotic topping, with extra virgin olive oil drizzled over, thin crispy base, cooked in a proper pizza oven and fantastic. I do like American pizza and understand it’s popularity, but experiencing the real thing is a should do (not must do, as eating pizza’s not that big a deal).

garage-dweller

@tomhoward Tartiflette pizza has just gone on my bucket list!

For normal consumption,

Thin base:
    Pepperoni and some kind of fiery pepper or shrimp

Other top toppings have to include anchovies and goats cheese.

Banned from any pizza I eat – PINEAPPLE – it is insanely tasty but it clearly evolved for upside down cake not pizza.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    You need to sprinkle some MSG on the toppings … a bit only … not a lot ..

Michael Schenker Group? lots of drugs, but not much topping.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Stopped at a restaurant in San Francisco just on chance, didn’t realise it had won all sorts of award and was mitchellin guide recommended etc.

Had a Detroit style “Motorhead”

Square pizza cooked in blue steel pans from detroit
    and topped with wisconsin brick mozzarella cheese, white cheddar, tomato sauce and garlic butter toasted corners. Topped with pecorino, oregano, garlic, extra virgin olive oil

Toppings were – pepperoni, salami, mushroom, bacon, sausage, ricotta, basil

Cooked in a gas oven at 550 degrees

Honestly, probably one of the best meals I have ever had, the missus (who is an insane foody, has done something daft like a 1000 trip advisor reviews) is still banging on about it 2 months later.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Like a good sandwich, less is more when it comes to pizza

Thin, crispy base with air blow holes.

Thin layer of tomato sauce, mozzarella in clumps.

Salami
    Olives
    Anchovies

Other allowables:
    Chilli
    Capers
    Onions
    Basil
    Prosciutto or similar
    Egg

Never:
    Chicken
    Pulled pork
    Pineapple

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Morrisons meaty feasty thin thing with some extra pepperoni/salami & jalapenos on. pretty decent for the price TBF.
    NOT Effin Donimo’s or any other franchise overpriced shite, that’s for sure.

isto
    Free Member

Homemade with fresh mozzarella, prosciutto and lots of blended jalapeños all over it. Finished with some rocket once it’s out of the oven. Currently cooking them on stones in the oven but I plan to make a pizza oven in the garden…once I YouTube how to make one and get my father in law to help.

Caher

That Diovola I had in the pizzeria under Edna.

skids
    Free Member

most pizza is good covered in tabasco or franks

PiknMix
    Free Member

This thread made me order in pizza. One ham and pineapple, one mighty meaty.

Can’t wait for pizza for breakfast.

chewkw
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member

chewkw – Member
    You need to sprinkle some MSG on the toppings … a bit only … not a lot ..

Michael Schenker Group? lots of drugs, but not much topping. [/quote]
    I can assure you MSG is not harmful at all. Guarantee to make your food taste good really give it a try. You can also add some to your stew or soup etc … 😛

Mine is Ajinomoto but it’s made in France … How the hell does Japanese MSG became the norm in French food I don’t know. Yes, the French food taste good because they might have secretly sprinkled some MSG to enhance the flavour just that you they don’t tell you. 😆

davros

Two pages and no nention of nduja. Local bar sells them, very nice and spicy.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Tandoori Pizza washed down with bottles of Sol in Fer a Chavel, Verbier.

Or

la Reine in pizza express with extra spinach and a soft fried egg in the middle.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Homemade – thin base and not overloaded with toppings. For me, chicken pieces, sweetcorn or peppers and mushrooms. Then mozzarella cheese. As stated above, the sliced seems to work better than the grated.

Top tip (think may have read it on here) is invest in one of these cast iron skillets. While pizza is in oven, heat the skillet up on the hob until it’s seriously hot. Then finish the pizza off by placing it on the skillet just for a minute or so when out the oven. It really crisps the base up nicely.

The skillet also works really well for cooking homemade nan bread.

While I like building a fire as much as the next man, I find it hard to see how to justify a wood-fired pizza oven. They’re a lot of money and I can’t believe the pizza would be that much better than the skillet method. And realistically, once the novelty wears off, how many times a month are you going to use it?

tomhoward

And realistically, once the novelty wears off, how many times a month are you going to use it?

Based on how often he posts something on Facebook about it, a friend of mine uses his for every meal, and has for the last 18 months…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And realistically, once the novelty wears off, how many times a month are you going to use it?

The novelty of great Pizza never wears off.

bodgy
    Free Member

Meatballs and chilli with roast fennel.

benp1

Rarely buy supermarket pizzas these days, not because I’m a snob, just the way it’s played out recently.

My favourite takeaway pizza is usually a straight up pepperoni, love it

But since getting an Uuni we have pizza a lot more, it’s a nice bit of family time. Usually it’s a margherita with a couple of extra bits (chicken, ham, sweetcorn etc). The guaranteed winner is garlic pizza – thin base, olive oil and crushed garlic

Mmmm, need to do some pizza this weekend I reckon

BillOddie

I am yet to find a pizza I didn’t enjoy.

That being said, given the choice proper italian woodfired pizza with one or two meaty toppings takes some beating.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Fat Tony’s Whistler Beef & Blue Cheese.

UK, Hawaiian Dominos
    Shop Chicago Town Pepperoni

grum
    Free Member

Capricciosa usually.

Had one in France with goats cheese, honey and walnut which was pretty awesome.

I can make a mean pizza from scratch – wish I had a proper oven.

BikePawl
    Free Member

It all started in Mamma Mia’s in Edinburgh,
    Haggis, Blue cheese and sweetcorn.

Cougar

ASDA “family” pizza base with some celebrity chef or other’s name on it. Serves one (-: Home-made garlic butter, home made pizza sauce, Quorn pepperoni, red onions, peppers, sweetcorn, drizzled with Sriracha.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s no cheese on that Pizza.

NO CHEESE! What in dear god is wrong with you?.

Cougar

NO CHEESE! What in dear god is wrong with you?.

I’m allergic to the stuff. Thanks for asking.

grum
    Free Member

Even vegan cheese?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My fil claims he’s allergic to cheese as well, before ripping into pesto on everything.

Deep mistrust of the cheese shunners me. 😆

Cougar

Even vegan cheese?

Can’t remember whether I’ve ever tried. I used to get the most monumental migraines, vomiting, great fun when they’re both at the same time. I gave up trying in the end, it’s not something I overly miss.

sbob
    Free Member

Aromi in Cambridge do a pizza with a butternut squash sauce instead of tomato, I’d recommend it highly.
    For takeaway it’s pepperoni and sweetcorn.
    Pineapple can **** right off.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Great thick chewy base. Crispness is on a par with baggy shorts. Invention of the Devil.
    Piled with various meats then covered with strong cheese. Kebab is good but any dead mammal will do. Vegetable matter is ok if mushrooms, pineapple or baked beans. Not really important as in life.
    Having said all that those two chaps on some telly programme with the wizened old witch/cook did a reasonable one for the mass market. Fairly thick and chewy.

Cougar

You know, I’m glad you said that. I like both thin crust deep pan, given the choice it’d usually be a coin flip in my head. Maybe I’m missing something but I’ve never really understand this pursuit of a pizza base you could shave with as some sort of holy grail of pizza making. “Yes please, give me less food” does not compute.

tomhoward

“Yes please, give me less food” does not compute.

Similarly…

More bread please.

-no one, ever.

Cougar

But I -like- bread.

One of my favourite “waiting for the taxi whilst beery” take-out places used to be 39’s in Blackburn. They did a deep-pan pizza there that was about 2cm thick, and it was mega. You felt like you’d properly eaten something when you’d finished, rather than a cream cracker with a few onions thrown at it (plus a bellyful of something absorbent was a good idea after a night on the lash).

jonnyrockymountain

The yorkshire men and Bombay chicken, on menu below are my favourites

http://www.mozzarellas.uk.com/menus/take_away.pdf

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Favourite pizza?’ is closed to new replies.