Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pixar Shorts – Red's Dream
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Got the Pixar Shorts collection on bluray, watching a few of them now. Red's Dream, from 1987 is excellent, and pretty amazing considering when it was made. It's also got bikes in it (sort of), so if you haven't seen it then worth a watch. Doesn't need sound, but obviously better with.

Red's Dream

🙂

bollocks, wrong forum :shakey:

theflatboy
    Free Member

i thought you'd agree 🙂

porterclough
    Free Member

Looks up from his copy of The Renderman Companion…

My favourite is Luxo Jr. from a year before – getting emotion out of anglepoise lamps was a work of genius by John Lasseter. Tin Toy is also excellent.

Loads of in-joke references to these early shorts in the later Pixar movies if you are paying attention…

Drac

Tin Toy is very good and the inspiration for Toy Story IIRC.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Knick Knack is my fav. With the lecherous snowman.

thepurist

I'm with porterclough – Luxo Jr is Pixar's defining moment for me. Any of you CGI geeks know of an online source to see any bits of 'The Works', the aborted project that was going to be the daddy of them all?

theflatboy
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member

Knick Knack is my fav. With the lecherous snowman.

just watched it. great stuff (here, if anyone wants).

i quite liked tin toy, but couldn't concentrate on anything other than the terrifying baby!

i'm working my way through them in chronological order, very enjoyable.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There was a new one on with Wall-E on the DVD about a magicians rabbit.

Very good; nice to see they haven't lost their touch with shorts.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I felt so sorry for the poor wee unicycle. 🙁

Drac

Luxo Jnr, remember watching that we awe on TV think it may have been Rolf Harris introducing it when he did that programme about animation.

fbk
    Free Member

There's a collection? Just nipping over to Amazon for a mo….. 🙂

I've always loved these. The lamp one was ground breaking and still looks great now. Even if it did take several banks of computers an awfully long time to work it all out 🙂

Edit – Luxo Jnr – that's the one 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

there is indeed, i've got the bluray copy from lovefilm.

as you can imagine, the bluray doesn't do much for the early ones, but from about geri's game onwards the picture's fantastic. they're very entertaining.

and scott, that magician one was on pre-wall e at the cinema as well. it's a good one, too. 🙂

birky
    Free Member

Went to a Pixar exhibition at one of the Edinburgh museums a couple of years ago. Best bit by far was the Toy Story zoetrope …
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDgwpVCz_Y

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pixar Shorts – Red's Dream’ is closed to new replies.