Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pivot Mach 5.7 opinions sizing please
  • richwales

Hi any owners out there care to comment on how they size up. Looking at the geo they don’t seem to follow the long tt short stem size. I’m 5 10 and considering a medium as the website says it’s built for 5 11 riders. The large is more in keeping with my previous bikes but has a ridiculously long seat post. I prefer the ride of dw link bikes so very keen on the pivot since the turner 5 spot is no longer.
    Cheers

Highland28
    Free Member

I went from a 2009 Ibis Mojo in large to a medium Pivot mach 5.7, size wise it is a good bit shorter but then the top tube on my ibis was around 600+mm, and feel much more comfortable on the pivot. I’m 5′ 9.5″ and have a 50mm stem with 750mm bars. From your height i would probably recommend a medium however its always worth trying to get a sit on one. Im guessing from you username your in wales? If you had been closer i would have offered you a seat/spin on mine.

euain

I’m 6’1” and have a Mach 5.7 in Large. My reverb (125mm drop) fits fine – but there’s only about 0.5″ between its collar and the top of the seat tube. If I was a bit smaller, I’d not be able to run a reverb in it.

Of course, your legs might well be longer than mine – or you may have no interest in a dropper – but worth knowing about. I don’t think I’m particularly unusually proportioned in terms of leg length / body length. 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ and have a small Mach 5.7.

I like it… but I know that I like small bikes. Not sure how that translates for you.

MartynS

5.10 and a medium here.

Its a perfect fit…

enmac
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 8″ and ride a small. Probably could have got away with a medium but would dropper post collar would have been hard down on the seatube.

richwales

Thanks for the replies. Freeborn have them at a good price so I’m tempted. No known faults or weird quirks from what I’ve read?

Highland28
    Free Member

Only problem I have had with mine is poor lower link bearing, the enduro ones that they come with aren’t the greatest and mine went within a year. Seems to be a bit of a known problem but a fairly easy one to keep on top of.

RustyMac

I am 5’8 and ride a small with a 70mm stem, 711mm bars and a non layback Thomson post. It fits me really well. Thought long and hard about a medium but went by the manufacturers guide in the end.

Quirks with the frame.
    BB is pf90 but not all press fit BB’s will fit as there is a chanel into the BB shell to allow for suspension movement. Shimano ones work and the new Hope one fits as well. Ck, kcnc will not work.

Front derailer mount is a direct mount. Buy an E-Type and undo the mounting plate and it works perfectly.

Headset is 1 1/8 semi integrated upper, 1.5 semi integrated lower.

Rear axle is 142×12.

mmannerr

No problems except normal ones with Pressfit BBs and Fox shocks. I’d try to get ride before deciding on size, I’m about 6′ on Large frame and not entirely happy about the fit for me. On most days it still feels like the best trail bike I have ever ridden.

Btw, Medium is what designer of the bike and suspension both ride which may explain why it looks the best of the sizes.

MartynS

while we’re here….
    anyone running 9 speed??
    I am and have been told i can’t get a front mech to accommodate a 44 tooth ring. The reason being is basically “who runs 9 speed anyway..”

its not a massive problem, just wondering if anyone was…

RustyMac

I’m running 3×9 on mine. Will look to upgrade in time but it works fine with a XT e-type front mech.

MartynS

Rusty..
    forgive me for being dim, but just to confirm you’re running a 44 tooth outer on your 9 speed set up and it works with an e type front mech…?

euain

Just to add to the confusion – the alloy frame is e- type mech (I think). Carbon is direct mount front mech which is different. It’s a single screw and a slot for height adjustment. E-type is 2 screws.

On the carbon, I ran XT 9-speed fine for a while. Was only on a 22/32 and bash at the front though as the big ring was swapped for a bash guard. I changed to 10 speed for a clutch mech after a while when I needed new chain and cassette though.

RustyMac

Sorry if I have confused. 44 tooth yes, front mech is an e-type mech directly mounted to the frame.

JohnnyPanic

I was also looking at those frames in Freeborn 🙂 Can anyone confirm the stand over on the med & small frames? At 5’6″ with 29″ inside leg I’m guessing a small is the answer but the mediums don’t exactly look big.

RustyMac

Can’t comment on a medium however I have comfortable stand over on my small with a 30″ inside leg. At 5’6″ I would really be looking at a small frame.

I went by the size guide here :-

http://www.pivotcycles.com/tech/getPage/2-pivot-faq

JohnnyPanic

Cheers Rusty, looks like there’s no crossover at 5’6″. Plainly a small.

RustyMac

small is 16.5″ so not too small.

The way I looked at it correctly or not was

My inside leg – 30″ – 760mm ish
    Frame is 16.5″ – 420mm ish
    Crank arms – 175mm

leaves 165mm of seat post for me, so i would have the option of a 150mm drop reverb if I wanted

29″ is 737mm leaving 142 mm ish of seat post.

oli575
    Free Member

I am 5’10.5″ on a medium alloy frame. TT is noticeably shorter than my old medium 575 (not a surprise but feel it on the climbs). Finish is not as good as the 575 in black ano either, wearing off much more easily.

Rides much better though, especially down, I didn’t expect much but the ride is night and day better than the 575 and goodbye brake jack.

I would like to upgrade my shock though and still haven’t fitted a dropper. Mine is a 2011 I bought unused and I’m not sure how tidy the reverb routing would be.

From Friday I will be running a 160mm Pike on mine so can’t wait to get out and try it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pivot Mach 5.7 opinions sizing please’ is closed to new replies.