Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Pivot Bolt Seized into Bearings
  • stewart74
    Free Member

The main pivot bolt on my Titus El Guapo frame is well and truly seized into the bearings and my LBS have been unable to shift it.

Can anyone recommend an engineering company in the Stockport area who might have an industrial press to try and push it out?

My only other option would be to cut the swing arm and bolt off and buy a whole new one.

Thanks in anticipation!

nick1962
    Free Member

This happened to mine.Everytime I turned the bolt it just splayed the swing arm out but didn’t undo until I rounded the pivot bolt, then it was well and truly stuck.My one man band LBS(in Glasgow) sorted it and fitted a new bolt and bearings for £30 so it can be done.I still have the disintegrated rusted bearings and races and am dreading changing them again! Try having a go yourself.Soak in penetrating oil,turn frame on it’s side,bang with a soft mallet and persevere.If no luck then maybe try drilling or sawing the bolt out,got to be worth a try.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a hand clamp on, the ones joiners use, and clamp round the swingarm, otherwise as above, the swingarm just splays apart.

Bewilderedsassanack

Just done mine. Same issue. Follow bodgers technique at your own risk:

I found there was enough room to hacksaw off each end of the stuck pivot bolt in the joint between bottom bracket/swingarm (the wee washer in the joint will probably die during this episode and need replacing too -eBay).

You can then remove swing arm.

Couple of enthusaistic blows with hammer and screw driver destroyed bearings enough to get out remaining pivot bolt/central tubing/rusted on bearing centres (which need hacksawing again to free central tube).

Knocked out exterior casing of bearings, done.

You have to be very careful with the paintwork during hacksaw phase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Pivot Bolt Seized into Bearings’ is closed to new replies.