Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pivot bearings: ceramic or skf
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

The standard set didn’t even last 12 months and due to frame design I want whatever will last the longest. I vote skf and get the best seal possible but my OH votes ceramic so when the seal does go at least the races won’t fuse solid to the balls. What do you guys think or have experience of?

slinkybike
    Free Member

Go stainless steel or be prepared for a big bill ceramic bearings in my oppion are only good if you spend the big bucks and get the special harderend races. Otherwise the the super tough ceramic balls smash the less tough bearing race to bits. How much riding, conditions did it take to wear out a set in a year it might be good going for the design.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

due to frame design

what frame?

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

My experience of ceramic bearings hasn’t been brilliant. Foolishly bought a Superstar ceramic BB – it exploded mid ride (fitted about 6 weeks) & by the time I got home had scored the axle on the cranks. Superstar told me it was incorrectly fitted / misused. Bought a Hope Ceramic BB & bearings died fairly quickly, but nowhere near as quick as the superstar. Now run Chris King’s & they’re bombproof. I’ll stick with steel bearings from now on.

GolfChick
    Free Member

A Lapierre zesty.

I assume the standard bearings were rubbish to cut down on costs, 3 of the 6 were completely seized. Ride 3-5 days a week depending on weather and conditions in the wyre forest. Mixture of trail centre stuff and natural trails in the wyre.

neninja
    Free Member

Get high quality stainless steel bearings as suggested above from SKF, FAG etc

I’m not sure if he has been banished from here but kaesae formerly a member of STW does quality bearings for a decent price. He can be found on Ebay selling as Katec Bikes – username airborne10101

He supplied stainless bearings for several wheelsets. I’m yet to have to replace any of them.

jimw
    Free Member

I may have got the wrong idea, but my understanding of the advantages of ceramic bearings are mostly found on applications where high rotational speed/low friction is required. As suspension bearings are only moving a fraction of a revolution, their advantages are lost. To gain the rust free advantages you would need full ceramic anyway.

jasonm945
    Free Member

You ride 3-5 days a week and you’re bearings “only” lasted a year?

I’d say that you were lucky to have bearings last that long with that amount of riding!

As already said Kasae does good bearings and refills them with a waterproof grease.

Jay

dale
    Free Member

I use enduro max,
    fill them with extra grease carefully (remove seal least exposed)
    Every 3 months split and revolve pivot bearings to work in grease and reposition ball bearings
    Its a faff but ride in a gritstone area with a crappy pivot system (cannondale rz)

GolfChick
    Free Member

well wasn’t really a year, its a year in may and ai stripped it down maybe a month ago now…. and who knows how long they’ve been seized for. its only now riding the OHs difference I can tell the major difference in performance.

Cheers for advice guys, some good points, about the limited movement in pivot bearings especially.

bren2709

Always buy quality brands SKF, INA etc etc.
    At the end of the day by get what you pay for.

I always use a local bearing supplier Hayleys, Erics or Brammer.

cakefacesmallblock

I swapped out my pivot bearings for Kaesae’s last year and stainless Hope bb and headset. They’ve all survived the extended gloop in Wyre.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I use enduro max,
    fill them with extra grease carefully (remove seal least exposed)
    Every 3 months split and revolve pivot bearings to work in grease and reposition ball bearings

I echo this and –

but my understanding of the advantages of ceramic bearings are mostly found on applications where high rotational speed/low friction is required. As suspension bearings are only moving a fraction of a revolution, their advantages are lost. To gain the rust free advantages you would need full ceramic anyway.

And

You ride 3-5 days a week and you’re bearings “only” lasted a year?

I’d say that you were lucky to have bearings last that long with that amount of riding!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d not bother with ceramic ones you just won’t see the benefit of the huge extra cost.
    Good quality ones would be my suggestion rather than just the cheapest

GolfChick
    Free Member

i went for skf bearings in the end, just waiting for the frame to come back.

vinylspin
    Free Member

I had a chat with Specialized workshop mechanics when my chainstay bearings failed on FSR and they advised against using ceramic for replacement, instead they said to go for genuine SKF, Enduro or INA.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pivot bearings: ceramic or skf’ is closed to new replies.