Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)
  • Pivot 24/12 roll call.
  • coomber
    Free Member

Just seen the forecast…. very wet.

Pictures on Facebook say it’s dry but if it rains like forecast from now until Sunday it could be quite muddy.

Kryton57

Likely another 12h solo entry up for grabs, I’ll know this afternoon.

No idea how to transfer it though.

tonycottee
    Free Member

Kryton57 – I’m still looking for entry if this is available?
    James

colin9

No idea how to transfer it though.

I think you can just turn up and tell them that you’re the original entry’s name?

amedias
    Free Member

Pictures on Facebook say it’s dry but if it rains like forecast from now until Sunday it could be quite muddy.

Stop it you! we’ll have none of this doom-mongering, the forecast is for FUN no matter what the weather 😉

coomber
    Free Member

Stop it you! we’ll have none of this doom-mongering, the forecast is for FUN no matter what the weather

😆

I’m super jealous. Even if it’s pouring down I can’t think of many places that would be better for some riding in the wet.

BadlyWiredDog

Very late I know, but I have a 24 solo place I can’t use if anyone’s feeling last minute masochistic 🙂

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Now lets all calm down and not go all Daily Express on this.

So looking at our Norwegian friends at yr.no they are forecasting 5mm of rain over a period of 6 hours at time of writing (Plymouth Long Range). In comparison based on the figures at the brilliantly nerdy Bear By the Sea on that faithful night in 2012 a total of 31mm of rain fell on to already pretty damp ground. So that’s approx an 84% increase.

So in summary.Yes you might get a little damp Friday and the course might be a bit tricky to start,but it will be nothing compared to that year. So lets put on our big boy trousers (or Sumo suits) and crack on!

40mpg

I’ll be there. On my fatbike. Solo 24. In a sumo suit. Whyyyyyyy will I never learn???

Got the flu too this week

mjsmke

In 2015 there was very heavy rain on the Friday. So heavy I was driving at 50mph in a 70 zone because I couldn’t see! On the Saturday the first few laps.were a bit soggy but it did dry out quite well so I’m really hoping for the same this year.

richmars

As above, regardless of the weather, it will still be a great weekend.

pictonroad

Just put my dry weather tyres on.

I think that tells you what the weather is guaranteed to be like.

stumpy01

Weather swether……I’ve just packed every bit of cycling clothing I own to mitigate any wet that we might experience!
    We WILL have fun!

mjsmke

Right. I’m out. Weather’s getting worse so currently looking for alternatives for a weekend of riding unless the weather perks up. At the moment I’d rather sit on the turbo than drive 6 hours to sit in the rain.

IdleJon

Right. I’m out. Weather’s getting worse so currently looking for alternatives for a weekend of riding unless the weather perks up. At the moment I’d rather sit on the turbo than drive 6 hours to sit in the rain.

I’m in Swansea, getting ready looking at a grey sky, 17° dry..

If I didn’t ride in this sort of weather I’d never ride. It’s not Arizona.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

If I didn’t ride in this sort of weather I’d never ride. It’s not Arizona.

Yep that is pretty much my view. Plus the Met Office always over egg the forecast these day. TBH I did a 2 laps of Cardinham Woods the other day is persistent drizzle and never bothered with a waterproof as it was to warm! Ah well mjsmke its your call, just more free beer for us. 🙂

stumpy01

Well, Team Piecep is committed come what may, weather-wise!

Driving down tonight, probably arrive around midnight and stick some pop-up tents up for the night.

Hopefully, we will have a dry start to Friday, so we can get our proper tent set-up in the dry before the annual pilgrimage to Sainsbury’s for supplies.

Probably won’t ride a practice lap – this’ll be our 10th year in a row, so we know most of the course that there are rarely any surprises.

I meant to pack a mud tyre for the back wheel in case it’s really cludgy but forgot – hey ho.
    We’ve got a dirtworker for bike cleaning & I’ve got plenty of clothes, although typing this has made me realise I packed no overshoes…..
    We just stop riding & open a beer if it gets too nasty – we do it as much for the weekend away as for the riding!

Look out for the red SRAM tent & feel free to pop in for a cuppa! Great news that Team Sumo will be there.

Will there be a jump of doom this year?!

colin9

Will there be a jump of doom this year?!

I hope so, I missed that last year.

coomber
    Free Member

We’ve hardly had any rain this week so far. It’ll be bone dry and can’t see it cutting up much between now and then with what rain is forecast.

jam-bo

I think you are forgetting where newnham park is. western edge of the moors always cops it in these conditions.

it shit it down here most of yesterday, its been showery today and more persistent rain forecast for most of friday and into saturday.

apart from that it looks fine….

longmover
    Free Member

Suitably moist then!

coomber
    Free Member

Good point. I’m in the sunny parts 😆

Surely the trees absorb the worst though?

jam-bo

yep. definitely.

(i sacked off my 24hr solo entry way back in may. only riding I’m doing this weekend is with my 5yr old son)

amedias
    Free Member

I think you are forgetting where newnham park is. western edge of the moors always cops it in these conditions.

it shit it down here most of yesterday, its been showery today and more persistent rain forecast for most of friday and into saturday.

Meh… so it’ll be a bit soggy for a bit, it’s long race, and I’ve been wet before and I got over it 😉

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Jam bo seen earlier today 😉

jam-bo

I’ve lived on the western flank of dartmoor for long enough to have any optimism about the weather soaked out of me.

heading to lustleigh in a bit, its always sunny on that side of the moors…

mjsmke

We’ve hardly had any rain this week so far. It’ll be bone dry and can’t see it cutting up much between now and then with what rain is forecast.

Has it really not rained much down there so far?

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Its been heavy showers, but nothing really sustained with really sunny weather between so in Exeter it’s been fairing okay. Still muddy in places but nothing awful.

mjsmke

In 2015 it dried up quite quickly after the very heavy rain all of Friday so if the forecast for Saturday eases off I might still go. I don’t mind riding in the mud, just not in the middle of summer in the rain. It’s not worth the 6 hour drive.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

I can see you point about the drive. At the mo yr.no are saying about 10mm of rain tomorrow with some more late on Saturday. A light breeze and 18 degree should stave of any major saturation. I guess your soloing mjsmke?

mjsmke

I guess your soloing mjsmke?

Yeah 12hr. Last year was my first solo and that was great with only light rain in the evening. So really hoping the rain stays away for as long as possible. Hopefully until after the 24hr riders finish too. I’ll load up the car tonight still and will probably end up going anyway. Just deciding if I should take my hard tail too now.

rOcKeTdOg

If everyone stays away then there’ll be more free beer for the rest of us 😉

vacant80
    Free Member

I have a 24hr solo entry for sale if anyone is interested? Injury means I’m unable to ride this year.

mattbee

I get back to Portsmouth from Brittany at half 6 Fri eve them an driving down. Hoping it won’t be too wet, but it is racing in the UK after all. What will be will be…

MrsToast
    Free Member

For some utterly insane reason, I’m doing the 12 hour solo race. Despite swearing off racing after Mountain Mayhem 2012. Despite having been off the bike for ages due to having a baby.

I’m terrified it’s going to be too technical for me, or just a horrendous mud pit, and I’m having to leave my baby for the first time ever.

I’ll be the short hobbity woman on a green Stumpjumper, probably weeping in a bush whilst getting overtaken by unicyclists.

amedias
    Free Member

My Wife is in a team for the 12hr and this is her first EVER bike race and has expressed many of the same concerns so you might have company in the that bush, just in case it helps…

Stupid.is
    Free Member

Hey Mrs Toast don’t panic! The 24/12 course is normally pretty easy with b lines or even c lines. Everyone will be super friendly and no unicyclist to mock you! And as for mud, it should not be to bad. All depends on tomorrow!

dabaldie
    Free Member

Ok, all you doom mongers… Want a live course update?
    Ive been strimming this afternoon and despite a few showers and some gusty wind the ground is dry.
    There are a few damp patches but they’ll be dry after 50 riders…
    Forecast is dry tomorrow morning (Fri), rain coming in for the afternoon/early evening for a few hours, but not too heavy. Dry overnight, its still warm so conditions will be good.
    Sat Morning is dry, with a bit of light drizzle late Sat afternoon/early evening and then dry overnight.

There is nothing technical, No B lines, not needed. 50% of the climbing is in the first climb up the tarmac then its fun fun fun. 99.9% or riders are courteous, Looking at the team names, some of the previous “abrupt” teams aren’t there. Most riders will call a side to pass if they want to get past, or most of the soloists will happily wait behind you to get a bit of rest!

Transition Teepee is up, food is onsite (but not yet cooking).

The majority of the course is in the trees so will stay dryish. The return to the field is towards the end of the lap, and then back up into the trees for the scream down the hill, through a few tents (less twisty than last year) and home.
    Field is dry, I got sunburn today!.

Yes it will rain, bit wet Friday pm, but no it wont be biblical. We lost 4 gazebos and an awning THAT year.
    Many people I know are running fast tracks or less, I’m running Ground Controls, but only because I like them, and it allows me to make mistakes towards the end of my 12hr solo.
    See you at sign on.. I’ll be the short one trying to understand your team name changes. When trying to find your name, you’ll be sorted by 12hr or 24hr then category, and then team name.
    T shirts are not free this year. Sorry! But there are goodies.

AND HAVE FUN!!

stumpy01

Cheers for the update dabaldie…

We’re currently about 20 miles past the RAC tower…..

Mrs Toast – you’ll have a blast. Friendly riders, great course, fun but not too techy.
    Stop by the red and white Salsa tent if you want a cuppa….

MrsToast
    Free Member

Cheers for the update!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Pivot 24/12 roll call.’ is closed to new replies.