Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Pity me for my First world woes…
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Ha ha, I was having a wry smile this morning at my ‘terrible’ start to the day…

As the daughters (private) school has already broken up I set off early on the bike to work. Bent over to pick my helmet up and smashed by organic pint of milk on the drive as it slipped out of my (broken zip) bag. Then as I stared open mouth at the mess I failed to realise the electric garage door was closing on my 29er (though thankfully missed the frame and just a slightly buckled wheel…

Makes you think sometimes if they’re the only issues I’ve got at the moment then I’m really really lucky in the whole scheme of things…

If you rode a 26er the door would have missed your wheel by 1.5″.

martymac

could have been worse, imagine if you’d ridden over the glass and punctured?

nedrapier

re: the milk, did you cry?

toby1

I assume the butler (who is there to support the Nanny of course) can clean up the broken glass and if you selected correctly will be an excellent wheel builder too then?

timraven

If you rode a 26er the door would have missed your wheel by 1.5″

Fantastic new thread opener, another set of spurious reasons for not getting in to wagon wheelers 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely the garage door should have some sort of cut out to prevent such carnage? Next time it could be a childs face!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Yes, think of the children!

marsdenman
    Free Member

organic pint of milk

there’s your problem, right there, normal milk would have been tough enough to take the hit 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

All down to a broken zip?

Name and shame the manufacturer.

McHamish
    Free Member

re: the milk, did you cry?

There’s no point.

Northwind

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

If you rode a 26er the door would have missed your wheel by 1.5″.

And even if it had hit it, it wouldn’t have bent.

footflaps

Surely the garage door should have some sort of cut out to prevent such carnage? Next time it could be a childs face!

You’d think so, but the one I just bought and installed just keeps closing and whatever is in the way either gives way or stalls the motor until it’s thermal cut out kicks in, so the child’s face would be well and truly squished…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thhat’s dangerous. Ours only has to touch something and it opens right up again. Personally I’d disconnect that, it cannot be right surely?

Cougar

Next time, you could have two halves of a child’s face.

footflaps

Thhat’s dangerous. Ours only has to touch something and it opens right up again. Personally I’d disconnect that, it cannot be right surely?

Well that’s how it came together. It has two controls – a key thing which you have to hold turned to go up/down – so presumably you’d hear the child being squashed and stop. It also has a remote control thing and that is press once and it goes up/down and the auto limit thing stops it at the top/bottom – that would squash a child until the motor cut out kicked in, which isn’t very sensitive.

Luckily I don’t have any small children and the cats run a mile from the thing…..

footflaps

Like I said in another thread, I wouldn’t recommend Auto-roll to anyone, esp people with small children who lie with their faces directly under a roller shutter door….

edlong
    Free Member

All down to a broken zip?

Gotta be Altura.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the garage door should have some sort of cut out to prevent such carnage?

Mine does! There is also an optional optical sensor extra that won’t let it close when there’s something in the way. Hormann ftw. What kind of cheap rubbish are you using? I thought you said first world problems?

honeybadgerx

RE: Fortress Flaps

You have to remember that come the Apocalypse, the auto-close door on Fortress Flaps stops for no man woman or child! Would be a bit embarrassing to get radiation poisoning all because your niche rigid 29’er wheel got caught in the door.

Did anyone see Dredd 3D?

footflaps

What kind of cheap rubbish are you using?

Good question. I was expecting one of those IR beams which stops if you break the beam….

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cough, Vaude, but to be fair it’s had a good and long life. Basically today (of all organic days) the zip didn’t bind as you zip it up and I didn’t notice. Worked the second time (albeit without the added pressure of the pinta).

Would never have happened on Tofu Tuesday…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Pity me for my First world woes…’ is closed to new replies.