Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pitmedden Forest trail conditions
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was up at Pitmedden this evening. The trails are in a truely awful state. I don’t think I have ever seen them so bad at this time of year and seriously doubt that they will recover before winter. Some may need re-routing, and all badly need the fresh needle-fall from this autumn/winter.

I know the summer had been wetter than usual, but the damage to the trails following an event earlier in the year seems very much in evidence. I think I’m going to have to give Pitmedden a break for a while as tonight’s ride was not doing the trail any favours, and to be honest, it wasn’t that enjoyable, especially when I consider how badly damaged the trails have become this summer.

Northwind

It’s been hellish weather for trails tbh, there’s even obvious weather damage at some of the surfaced trail centres. Just so continually wet, with spells of dry and spells of heavier wet to mix it up.

vorlich
    Free Member

Blairadam isnt great either ATM. Looking forward to winter when all the part-timers are tucked up at home, I think things may actually get better.

MrGrim

In my experience it’s not the part timers causing an issue, just terrible run of weather in dense forrest meaning the trails never get to dry out. I’ve been up at Blairadam three times this week and have ended up sticking to fireroads as riding most trails is compounding the issue. Unless we get a really warm September I can’t see any change until next spring

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My thoughts (& fears) entirely.

vorlich
    Free Member

Was just meaning the folk who stop riding in winter. 😉

Blairadam has always been bad for mud, but as you say terrible weather, which apart from the temparature is not unlike winter conditions. Except in winter, there are less folk riding it due to dark nights, etc. Normally this time of year should be when the trails recover to some extent.

But yes, it’s pretty grim. I’ll be looking to do an alternative route up there over winter away from the worst sections.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I don’t think the weather in the run up to muckmedden will have done the place any favours.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pitmedden Forest trail conditions’ is closed to new replies.