Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pitfichie
  • ChrisL

This is the FC’s current trail map for Pitfichie. I have an older one that includes a section of trail between points 3 and 6 on the current map in the Granite Top trail.

Does anyone know why this bit of trail is no longer included on the Granite Top trail and whether it is still in a usable condition? I recall it being a natural path over the evocatively named “Pile of Stones” hill. It may have been a bit muddy at its north end. The line of the path still seems to be on the map, just not included in the official trail.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thats what I would call that the Green Hill and it was there the last time I was there (which was 2012 mind….). It’s part of my standard loop from the car park.

Seen as its a forestry road (albeit overgrown) through the forest and then a *path* up and over the exposed moorland I can’t see how it could disappear. The link from the bottom of the hill to main fire/access road had some stonework to cover some of the worst muddy bits (nearer 6 than 3).

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m getting confused…

This map seems to have the Green Hill portion of the Red ‘erased’. Also, was there a trail South of Green Hill as well?

Pile of Stones IS Green Hill as far as I can tell.

Something is afoot…

roverpig

It was still there last time I was there (a few weeks ago) and given the access rules and conventions up here I can’t see it being closes unless (temporarily) to allow them to log a section of the forest.

There are loads of routes on Bennachie, for example, that don’t appear on any trail map, but you can still ride them.

ChrisL

Thanks for the help. It sounds like that path is still worth checking out despite its disappearance from the trail map.

the_lecht_rocks

green hill climb [pile of stones ???] will always exist – it’s a common walkers route too.

i’ve rode that hill for the last 23 years, doubt it’ll ever disappear !!! ???

ChrisL

Are there still mince-able lines on the DH trails? I managed to get a trail hardtail down one of the DH lines last time without harming myself or getting run over by DHers angry at my low speed but I don’t know if things have become more gnarcore since then.

euain

Was there last week and the path was still there :).

A couple of trees down but easy enough to step over and I’m sure they’ll be cleared soon enough.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Was there yesterday and I can confirm there were men with LOTS of dynamite, and Green Hill IS now a ‘Pile of Stones’
    Suck it up sisters 😉

ChrisL

To answer my own question in case anyone else in future wants to know, there are still minceable DH lines, despite the warning sign at the top of them.

Also, I noticed a piece of singletrack coming out of the trees just west of post 13 in the map above. I’d guess it starts by turning right off the purpose-built trail that comes down from Cairn William. Any pointers for where on the trail I should be looking for the turning next time I’m there? I didn’t notice anything while I was riding that descent.

metalheart
    Free Member

Also, I noticed a piece of singletrack coming out of the trees just west of post 13 in the map above. I’d guess it starts by turning right off the purpose-built trail that comes down from Cairn William. Any pointers for where on the trail I should be looking for the turning next time I’m there? I didn’t notice anything while I was riding that descent.

There is an unmarked trail comes off one of the corners (where it starts to flatten out I think) on a left hander that’s kinda goes straight down and pops out just west of the marker. I tend to ride to the end of the trail then double back for it…

chico66
    Free Member

You go straight on at one of the left hand turns at the bottom of the Devil’s Staircase. Easy to miss if you’re pinning on. It runs parallel to the fire road and is quite good fun!

ChrisL

Ta!

euain

That’s the one – it’s this Strava segment if that helps: Sketchy Pitfichie Descent

After the last of the zigzags, there’re a couple of fast bermed corners and then onto the flat – bigger jump and couple of corners and 2 wee jumps – just after the second jump on the left corner – go straight ahead.

It was riding brilliantly this summer – a bit water damaged over the winter but still good fun!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pitfichie’ is closed to new replies.