Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Piss poor finish on Easton ec70 bars….is this normal?
  • indiajazz
    Free Member

Just received these bars and there is a really scuffed,scratched finish to them,before i send them back is this normal because i know its a laquered coating to the carbon fibre,but it still looks pretty shoddy!?

benpinnick

scuffed or smooth but visually flawed? run your finger over it – smooth or rough?

indiajazz
    Free Member

Smooth as silk…..looks like it’s under the laquer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Probably right. They’ve not got a cosmetic weave on the surface, so there’s mould lines and what not.

JoeG
    Free Member

Is it just the lay of unidirectional (instead of woven) carbon?

benpinnick

Thats totally normal. Most UD carbon finish looks like that. Small variations in the outer carbon show up in the lacquer as lines and paler spots. When you see super smooth/uniform carbon its because its had a cosmetic layer added for looks or possibly painted. Raw weave carbon is even worse. Looks rough as nuts.

indiajazz
    Free Member

What you’re describing seems to match what the bars look like,it’s a dark grey in general then what appears to be scrapes and stuff…..it looks so rough it’s got to be right(if you see what I mean!!)
    Thanks for clearing that up.I shall now put the scruffy bugger on x

Northwind

Yah, probably what you’re seeing is just what carbon looks like. The cosmetic top layer some bars have is basically wallpaper 😆 Seems to be more of a mark of a cheap bar these days, posh parts are happy to look less nice

indiajazz
    Free Member

JoeG it is,it isn’t the usual weaved carbon.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry thats not an Easton. Full stop.

Yak

Got one here. Same scruffy appearance where you can see the carbon wrap with no cosmetic layer. The ‘scruffy’ visual edge of the carbon wrap is on the underside of the bar though so not visible when on the bike. Been solid for over a year.

indiajazz
    Free Member

hora….I got it from Merlin,I think I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say.These “imperfections” are really visible and not underneath like yours Yak.

Northwind

Hora knows nothing. Exclamation mark.

davosaurusrex

Hora – for maximum Internet Authority points you’re supposed to type “End Of.” not “Full stop”. Wins any argument. Boom.

skids
    Free Member

They are a heavily counterfeited bar , maybe they accidentally bought stock from a dodgy supplier

DanW
    Free Member

What Ben and Northwind said.

Sounds normal to me.

Can you post a pic?

Wally

Pic will say a 1000 words.

Is how they should look like – a kind of silky patchwork, with a clear mould line running the length of bar. Not a naked carbon wrap. These have obvious scratches – which would not bother me. Hope Nick likes them from Richard on here a couple of years ago.

Yak

Yes, same here as pic above.

jamj1974

Got a pair of these in the shed – look identical in finish.

DanW
    Free Member

That is not a “piss poor finish” that is “what CF parts often look like without a cosmetic layer” which is very normal and is exactly how these particular bars are designed to look.

indiajazz
    Free Member

Will post a pic up……thanks for your help!

andyl
    Free Member

yup, that is exactly what UD carbon parts will look like. I quite like it.

Do you want to use them or sit and look at them? 😉

indiajazz
    Free Member

Don’t seem to be able to post up a pic from my iPad,the more I read your posts and looking at the photo here I reckon it’s fine…..I’m just a asthetic ponce! 😉

Wally

Save photo file. Have two tabs open – Tiny Pic and this.
    Upload onto tinypic and then copy the message board address into STW post.
    Is just one way.

indiajazz
    Free Member

indiajazz
    Free Member

chestrockwell

They look just like my Havoc’s and I got them direct from the importer.

euans2
    Free Member

They also look like my Havoc’s

njee20
    Free Member

Totally normal.

Ignore Hora. Full stop.

bearnecessities

Ignhora?

rexated
    Free Member

ignhoramus?

😉

julians
    Free Member

That’s normal.

And this thread is a perfect example of why you should ignore hora when it comes to anything to do with bikes.

indiajazz
    Free Member

Thanks guys…much appreciated.On they go!

unovolo
    Free Member

The image below gives a idea of some of more common Carbon finishes available, I actually prefer the finish of UD to the more cosmetic 3k and 12k finishes.

benpinnick

Yep. Thats normal… You know why? Because the resin layer is also clear. When bars are made they are basically resin and carbon sheets squished together. Where the resin leaks out from between the carbon layers, which it will do, it changes the refraction of the lacquer, making it look slightly glassy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah my EC70 wide flats look just like that. Better that faux weave finish IMHO

indiajazz
    Free Member

Here they are in situ ……

bearnecessities

Fence needs attention.
    Grass needs cutting.
    Grass needs repair.
    Pants are too baggy.
    Towel’s seen better days.
    Chair needs re-staining
    Your trellis has collapsed.
    Bars are fake.

Nice bike though 8)

indiajazz
    Free Member

Aha!!! It is a shambles I agree.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Saddle is too high.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Piss poor finish on Easton ec70 bars….is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.