Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pipers Gate :-(
  • nosedive
    Free Member

I rode Pipers Gate in the peaks yesterday for the first time since the ‘improvements’.

What a disaster. Another good descent lost to the gentrification of the peak district.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Is Pipers Gate one of those bits that’s had to be repaired after being completely destroyed by the off-roadists?

And people complain about erosion caused by mountain bikes 🙄

docrobster
    Free Member

Pipers gate has been improved imo.
    The one that has been really ruined is plop plop splash- the drop down from lenny hill to the ford

Pook

anyone got a link for lenny hill?

allthepies
    Free Member

Here ya go.

Lenny Hill

lump

^^ 😆

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Isn’t pipers gate on blacka moor?

nosedive
    Free Member

just round the corner from blacka moor. I heard Lenny Hill was even worse, not been there yet since the work. double 🙁

I dont think Pipers Gate ever suffered from motor vehicles (not that I ever saw any there any way. It just got muddy and full off rocks, off camber jumpy droppy rocks. but no more.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Piper House Gate sanitisation is not an improvement. Far more people are riding it now who didn’t have the ability/bottle to ride it before. The Lenny Hill sanitisation is also disappointing.

I understand why the work has been done, to appease other users, and I’m sure Ride Sheffield were involved to help put the riders point of view across but it’s still sad.

soulwood
    Free Member

I haven’t experienced the Piper Gate beige-ing but I have ridden the Lenny Hill descent. I thought it was downright dangerous, firstly the gate at the top is now jammed open and within yards is one of the many ludicrously massive toblerone shaped bars across the path. These bars are blended in with the beige path, if it wasn’t for me thinking the gate was going to be closed I would have hit that hard to see bar quite quickly. Hopefully all this torrential rain that everybody is hating will return the paths to their former rutted technical glory.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Lenny Hill is a big disappointment, no doubt – especially considering the SSSI status. Sheffield Wildlife Trust were as surprised as the rest of us with regards the width and over the top work that that Sheffield Council did there. Ride Sheffield certainly weren’t aware.

Piper – I think that’s to the level that we can realistically expect, when there’s contrasting opinions from different trail users. Not ideal, but a long way from what they’ve done at Lenny Hill.

We (Ride Sheffield) are now a good bit more involved in the consultation regards works like these.

Take it easy on the concessionary BW, it’s the first winter it’s continued with that status, with this rain!

nosedive
    Free Member

I think Pipers gate is more dangerous too, it is easy to go too fast on it and get out of shape. Before you really had to try hard to keep a good pace up over the rocks.

It’s certainly been a year of atrocities for Sheffield Rights of Way Department. I’m beginning to think we would be better off without them. To think they use my tax money for this makes me sick. There are bigger potholes in my road then there are in Houndkirk moor right now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pipers Gate :-(’ is closed to new replies.