Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pipedream Sirius Ti – how much flex?
  • sleigh62
    Free Member

Ok … feeling a bit perplexed!

I thought I would try out a new steed so just built myself a Pipedream Sirius Ti.

I know steel/titanium frames are supposed to have more ‘feel’ via a degree of flex but this feels like it’s made of rubber!

Admittedly I’ve come from a Rocky element 70 MSL which is mega stiff but this just feels a bit too flexy.

Components are transferred except the forks are a temporary job with a straight steerer and 9mm QR … But does a tapered steerer and 15mm bolt through really make that much difference?

Any tales of experience would be most welcome cos at the moment it’s a bit of a let down!

wwaswas

all that a stiffer fork is likely to achieve is to transmit more force into the frame and make it flex more?

does it feel noodly all over or in one particular area/direction.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Is it a bad thing? Or just not what you are used to?

I had an old Merlin Ti frame and if you put your foot on the BB area, you could easily push the whole frame out of flunker by several inches. It’d spring back perfectly.

Didn’t stop it being a beautiful bike to ride, nor did it fall to bits in a few weeks.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

9mm QR fork will be quite noodly compared to what you are used to, I expect.

Straight steerer is not such a massive noodle problem if in a semi-integrated headset scenario – otherwise – with external cups it will be – IME.

In short, it could easily be the forks!

(Or the frame)

(Or both!)

amedias
    Free Member

One of the nicest riding, and overall quickest XC bikes I’ve ever had is also one of the noodliest, sure it’s not just ‘different’ rather than ‘worse’ ?

sleigh62
    Free Member

Thanks all …

It feels like it’s coming from around the headtube area. I might try taking the headset out and making sure all the faces are perfect then refit the headset.. It’s completely external cups as its a narrow headtube.

Everything looked like it was seated properly when building it.

I’ve also got Easton Haven carbon bars on at the moment so might try some allow ones as they are quite flexible in themselves.

I’ve treble checked most other things!

sleigh62
    Free Member

Yep … could just be so different I guess … need to try it on the trail as at the moment I’m just testing around the streets.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pipedream Sirius Ti – how much flex?’ is closed to new replies.