Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • pipe diameter calculations?
  • lovewookie

Hi,

Don't suppose anyone can point me in the direction of how to work out the most suitable diameter pipe for an application.

Info I have is:

overall pressure not to exceed 6 bar (could do with being lower than that)

flow rate of up to 115m3/hr

water.

🙂

Need to know what diameter pipe I can use that will not up my pressure too much.

thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

graham seems to have some software to hand on my earlier thread on pipes – maybe he can help…

Albanach
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Need more info than that. What's the pressure at the inlet to the pipe? What pressure is it discharging to? (atmosphere?)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

need more detail,

type of pump
    details of the location and type of valves present
    length of pipe (either actual or as the crow flies, there's fairly established factors to convert between the two)
    number and type of bends
    vertical height gained/lost allong the pipe
    pipe material
    is the water just plain tap water or something else (i.e. should i wory about errosion velocities, vapour pressure etc?)
    if its a centrifugal pump, are you designing for a shut in (no-flow) pressure of 6bar (in which case, absolute or gauge?), or a pressure drop of 6bar in the pipe?

lovewookie

OK. it's from several borehole pumps (centrifugal, each delivering about 1 ish m3/hr)and the pipe is open to a storage tank at one end. Straight run, 600 metres. Ideally the pressure should not exceed 6 bar, but it'll start at 0 (other than displacement) as the pumps will come on in sequence.

basically I want to know if I need a 200mm pipe or a 1000m pipe in reality.

overspec would be better. Assume water, I'll worry about materials.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘pipe diameter calculations?’ is closed to new replies.