• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • pipe cutter?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Got some new forks coming – never cut any down before and I don't have a decent hacksaw.

Was thinking of getting a pipe cutter like this – http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PIPE-TUBING-CUTTER-TOOL-3-28mm-3-16-1-1-8-plumb_W0QQitemZ310103147538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item4833968412&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_3520wt_838

The forks have a 1 1/8th steerer. Would that work ok?

saladdodger
    Free Member

no believe it or not the alloy used for steerers is too hard

Swiftacular
    Free Member

May not get the best cut, as youre average fork steerer is quite a bit thicker than a copper pipe.
    If using a cutter, you're better off going for one designed for stainless, a swagelok one being the best example. Perfect straight cuts everytime, and the cutting wheels last forever.

If you're anywhere near Lincs, ive got a Swagelok cutter and Swarf cleaner you can borrow?

EDIT you are right, alloy is too hard for a steel cutter designed for copper/mild steel. The ones for stainless are a different kettle of fish.

halfbee
    Free Member

I have always used a cheap pipe cutter, the steerer needs finishing with a file afterwards because the ali gets swaged outwards. But otherwise alls good.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

These kiddies….wouldnt have bought them especially for the job, about £200 the pair, but i had them for work anyway.

rs
    Free Member

same here, bought the cheapest pipe cutter i could find, works a treat.

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm… thanks everyone.

Might see if my ex-metalworker mate will do it for me then. 🙂

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have an old CK pipe cutter that must be 30 years old its cut copper, brass, mild steel and chromed steel pipes over the years. Having cut both steel steerers threaded and unthreaded aluminium steerers are not harder than steel steerers they are thicker walled but they are not harder. Takes about 5 mins to cut easy peasy.

saladdodger
    Free Member

ah so it looks like I need a new blade then it has been used rathere alot and it is about 20 years old

sorry 😳

Zone
    Free Member

yep… and just tidy up a bit…

oh …and check twice and cut once… 😀

ajantom

Any bog standard pipe cutter will do the job, just take it nice and easy, and use WD40 on it.

I have a waaaaaay old one that I inherited form my dad, must be 25 years old at least. Used it recently to cut both steel and alu steerers no problem.

+1 for measure twice (or even thrice) cut once……..don't do what I did a few years back, measured the headtube and the headset, and then the spacers, and then the stem. Did that all twice, added it up, then cut the steerer. Hmmmmmmm, that's funny, it's much too long I thought……….I'd only gone and measured the whole length of the headset, not taking off the part that sits in the headtube. Doh 😆 That learned me.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Another vote for a cheap pipe cutter. I've got one that cost about £8 in B&Q. Must have done a dozen steerers with it.

petefromearth

nothing wrong with using a pipe cutter, if anything i'd say it's better than using a hacksaw because you know it's going to be dead straight

for new forks the MUST HAVE tool is a proper star nut basher-inner. it's very easy to mess up if you try and bodge it (speaking from experience!)

bassspine
    Free Member

If you've never experienced the 'express lift' sensation of realising you just cut the steerer too short, you haven't lived. Don't ask me how I know this…. 🙁

Ewan
    Free Member

I used a 25mm pipe cutter I brought from B&Q for 6 quid. Produced a really nice clean cut, didn't even really need to tidy it up with a file, on a Magura steerer.

However, I can not stress enough the need to measure twice, and then measure again before you commit.

Star fangled washer would be the only thing i'd get a shop to do.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Just buy a Hope head doctor or a FSA expander bung and dont bother with the star nut. I prefer a hacksaw for what its worth. Pipe cutters take too long to cut. Its not critical to get the steerer cut as level as a snooker table. I have had forks from fully built bikes with less than a level cut!

tomlevell

Hacksaw and if you want to do it properly a saw guide.

I can't believe a man doesn't own a hacksaw. It's tool No2 after the lump hammer. Metal blade can cut anything in a pinch especially when combined with the lump hammer ;0)

nbt

I've tried it with a hacksaw and with an £8 B&Q pipe cutter. The cutter did the job fine but did splay the end ever so slightly, had to file it down to get the spacers and stem on.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Just get a decent hacksaw from ToolStation or Screwfix (or other local hardware store, of course!).
    Some tape on the steerer tube might help you guide the blade, otherwise get a guide like TL says above.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tape a spacer to the headtube as a guide and use a hacksaw …double bodge fix!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Use an old stem as a cutting guide if your hacksawing. I tend to measure about 10 times go and have a cuppa measure again and again and again and again it has sometimes taken me an hour to get the nerve up to start the cut.

jonb
    Free Member

Hacksaw.

It doesn't matter if it's dead straight as long as it is pretty straight.

There will be a gap between the top of the stem (or spacer if you have one above) to allow you to preload the headset.

zaskar
    Free Member

I used a £5 Wickes diy pipe cutter on my some Rc31 but the steerer wasn't chro mo I think done on the cheap. Just take your time. And leave some space for you to file down straight.

I would just use some patience, a proper saw and a vice.
    A guide always helps.

If you rush it using a decent pipe cutter, then the blade will snap off-have some spare.

daveh
    Free Member

I can't believe a man doesn't own a hacksaw. It's tool No2 after the lump hammer.

Maybe he progressed straight to angle grinder! 😈

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

One word of warning – make sure you mark it up to include a gap for all the spacers you need – a bike shop fitted mine first time & hadn't put on the spacers when they measured it. oops!

Sam

Maybe he progressed straight to angle grinder!

I often use one to cut steerers, much faster and a nice clean cut. Needs a bit more tidying up after than a hacksaw though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘pipe cutter?’ is closed to new replies.