• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pins and needles
  • SiB
    Free Member

Keep getting them in my right hand when riding. I havent noticed that my riding position has changed and my bike hasn’t changed. Basically everything is the same as it used to be but now I get pins and needles to such an extent that I have to ride one handed whilst the ‘affected’ hand goes back to normal.

Anybody had similar, any preventions?

Thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

I occasionally suffer from this, but more frequently other “bits” go numb while riding. Never found a cure for any of them, other than shifting position 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think he means riding his bike coffeeking…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

My “other sport” involves a lot of stress on the neck…I find worn neck muscles, and trapped nerves in the neck will cause really bad pins and needles in the fingers for subsequent bike rides. It can go as bad as loosing all feeling in fingers and like you, riding with one hand etc.

Android
    Free Member

It’s just old age creeping up on you. I suffer from this, moreso on my roadbike. Sometimes on a long ride it would go to my feet as well. I went to a physio and was given exercises, which I can do on the bike as I’m riding along. Basically you look down and push your head / neck back as far as you can, then turn to your right as far as you can for 6 seconds, then the left for the same. I ended up converting my roadbike over to flat bars, but the MTB is as it always was and I now have no problems. I did find that a backpack made it much worse. You could try dropping your seat slightly which would give you a more upright riding position and take the crick out of your neck.

Good luck
    A

SiB
    Free Member

if it starts on my other ‘bits’ coffeeking I shall be hanging up my wheels and starting crown green bowls

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks Android, a few things to try there

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got a semi-numb left little finger and have had for the past 2 months niw. A bit of research linked it with Guyon’s Canal Syndrome which seems to be popular with cyclists. I asked on here if anyone else suffered but got no replies so I guess it’s just me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s just old age creeping up on you

bad posture is age independent 🙂

hora
    Free Member

SiB it could be your posture/positioning at work as well. I found that I was resting a nerve of my arm on the corner of the desk when typing. I wrongly attributed this to the pins and needles on the bike. PS- if your bits are getting numb- change that ASAP. Last thing you want is future erectile problems.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maybe I should have given up at the age of 20 then 😀

sfb – cheers 😀 So was I, for the record!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve been getting this myself really badly in my left hand (I’m right handed so it can’t be too much time with Hannah and her five sisters). It get particularly bad at night when it stops being pins and needles and ends up being just painful.

I’ve read a bit about carpel tunnel syndrome and wondered if it might be this. The distribution of the sensation/pain is important in the diagnosis apparently; the radial ulnar nerve I think serves the thumb, index and maybe the middle finger whereas the ring and little finger are served by a different nerve. I think that’s right.

Anyway, the waking up at night with it in pain is a key feature of the carpel tunnel syndrome.

SiB
    Free Member

Whatever happened to gold old fashioned pins and needles?!

Thanks for all your advice and possible diagnosis – will be trying a coulpe of them on commute home if they start.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pins and needles’ is closed to new replies.