• This topic has 217 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 218 total)
  • Pinnacle Ramin One
  • lazyrider
    Free Member

tsmado

Been looking at all these great bikes and pics of them – got me going. I’m off down Evans tomo to get one. Crickey, what a lot of bike for the £.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just been on my 4 (basically now spec’d as a 5) round Cannock today. Absolutely flew around. A total riot!

These bikes are the best kept secret going as far as HTs go!

tsmado

OK, got it. 1st got a L, then returned and swapped for XL – better for me. Parked up just next to my Kinesis ATR. Time for a pedal swap and a brake fix as the front pads rub like mad out of the shop…

tsmado

Sorry tried to ad pic, but can’t work out how to do it – doh.

tsmado

tsmado

Finally! Although now it’s covered in mud…

tsmado

Out today, the front chain retaining device got covered in mud. Can I just bung one of these on the crank and remove the device without doing or buying anything else? Thanks for any replies.
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

jameso

^ yup, it’ll not be as reliable as with a clutch mech also but a good NW ring (they vary) will keep the chain on in most cases – consider removing a chain link or 2 if possible as the tighter mech tension will reduce bounce.

tsmado

Thanks, appreciate that. Do you know who makes the ‘good’ ones?

tsmado

Ah, decision made. Superstar has these rings on special today for £15!!! Today only apparently – so anyone who wants one get it now. No, I don’t work for them. Use code ‘SANTA7’
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

lazyrider
    Free Member

Good idea with the narrow/wide. Did you remove the arm that extends out of the bottom bracket that the chain device is bolted too as well? Easy?

tsmado

Hi
    I just got the ring, which I have not fitted yet. Looking at the current setup, the crank will have to come off to remove it – at least that’s what I think. Also, as the bracket (chain device)holds the crank out a bit, I assume will need to put on some BB spacers in place, so as to have same chain position. Ho hum…

lazyrider
    Free Member

I thought that arm part might be more hassle to remove than it’s worth. Maybe a job for the dremel while the chainring is off, if the narrow/wide works ok – and next time the bottom bracket is out take it out completely and replace with a spacer.

Would be interested to hear how it goes

Clink

Jameso – any update on eta on the new Ramins?

jameso

Clink – Member
    Jameso – any update on eta on the new Ramins?

They’re made .. ETA TBC, will check Monday. With one thing and another a few non-essential (I know, I was offended .. ha) production runs were pushed back but they’re done, studio shot of the Ramin 3+ from a couple of weeks ago –

They’re not on the Evans site yet though.

Clink

Cheers! :-). Don’t suppose 29+ fits in the front? If not I wonder if a stooge/krampus fork on the front might work…?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I see the extra bottle bosses etc on the fork , is this the EBB version? … I like the colour as well 🙂 .. rough prices yet ?
    looking like my new bike packing bike 🙂

jameso

Clink, 29+ probably would fit, it’s a 470mm fork. Not tried it though. You could use the EBB dropped down to offset some of the geometry change.

Stumpy, yes it’s a split/clamp shell EBB. Shorten the rear end or position it up for B+, down for 29″. Or SS it.
    Wheels are QR non-boost for swapability with older stuff you may have and they’re convertable to 12mm + 15mm thru if needed. £800 RRP, possibly less, TBC.

Clink

like ^

shermer75
    Free Member

That looks great

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

It does look good and ticks alot of boxes in the fact I can SS as well when I feel the need 🙂

wonderbadger
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I’m seriously considering this bike to replace my 12 year old hard-tail commuter. It only has to cope with a (sometimes) muddy disused railway line on the way into work so no suspension needed and the simplicity and quality of the Ramin appeals.

2 questions come to mind:
    Am I late to the 29er party, ie as more manufacturers seem to be concentrating on 650b bikes are parts for 29ers going to dry up – I’m hoping the answer is no as the larger wheel size seems ideal for my use.
    Does anyone know if there is much difference between the 2015 and 2016 models? The 2015 is currently available at £400 but I was wondering if its worth waiting for the 2016 model and seeing if there is a sale mid-year which brings it down to the same price (wishful thinking?) – colour isn’t a major factor for me so thats not a consideration, just spec and value.

Thanks
    Andy

cokie

29ers have been adopted by the majority of manufacturers and pushed in lots of applications. The majority still offer a long travel 29er variant where supposedly 650b would ‘excel’. I can only think of Giant that scrapped 29er.

The 650b segment has replaced the 26” bikes and a few 29ers. The 29er size is stand out and adopted mainly by the commuters, leisure cyclists and XC, trail riders, as well as the giants.

29ers are here to stay. You won’t have any issues sourcing parts for them for the foreseeable future.

For what it’s worth, I own 3 29ers and love them. I think i’ll only go 650b for long travel or park/pump track bikes.

avdave2

It looks like it’ll work with my Rohloff which is Brilliant 🙂

I’ve been looking at getting my 26″ frame converted for discs, it’s v-brake at the moment but by the time I pay for that to be done, get it repainted and buy a rear brake this starts to look a better option, just a wheel build to factor in.
    And of course I’m then left with a bike to convert to single speed as well despite never having had the need or desire for one 🙂

wonderbadger
    Free Member

Does anyone have any info on the 2016 Ramin One? Just trying to figure out if I should jump in now and get the 2015 model ordered or if there will be any worthwhile difference on this years model? Think I’ve made my mind up its the bike I want, just curious as to any updates 🙂

jameso

Ramin 1 2016 ETA May, basically the same bike spec-wise, with widened F+F clearances for B+.

wonderbadger
    Free Member

Thanks for the update jameso. As I don’t have any plans to look at 650b+ then I think the 2015 model will do the job – looks like I might be bike shopping at lunchtime then 😀

mlucas666
    Free Member

The Ramin 1 & 3 are showing on Evans site:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-1-2016-mountain-bike-EV244137
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-3-plus-2016-mountain-bike-EV264163

Do they both use the same frame?

I love my 2015 model and I’m seriously tempted by a B+ version.

avdave2

Do they both use the same frame?

The 3 has an EBB so they are not the same frame. No geometry chart showing at the moment for the 3 so can’t really tell if the EBB is the only difference.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Is Ramin 3 really worth £350 more than the Marin Pine Mountain?

jameso

Is Ramin 3 really worth £350 more than the Marin Pine Mountain?

Nope 🙂 The RRP is wrong .. it’s £750. Upload error. Fixing it now.

No geometry chart showing at the moment for the 3 so can’t really tell if the EBB is the only difference.

Same geo, adjustments via the EBB aside.

Clink

Any confirmation that it would fit a 29+ front?

jameso

No, not tried it sorry.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m in the process of selling my Anthem and looking at going back to a simpler hardtail especially 29er hardtails.
    In the last week ive considered second hand On one Scandals,the Boardman Pro 29er and the Voodoo Bizango, which seems particulary good value.

However the 2015 Pinnacle one really appeals at the £400 sale price as its the same money as the Genesis High Latitude frame only which I also considered and gives a good base for upgrades.

Is the rigid fork a straight steerer,and will it take a tapered steerer fork?
    Looking at the higher spec models they seem to be taper but I’m wondering if the headtube is the same on the one as higher models? Also is the One dropped compatible eg 31.6? Just trying to work out how future proof the frame is……

jameso

JGG – the frame’s a 31.6mm seat tube with a custom spec shim to take a 27.2mm post. Take post and shim out and fit a dropper, the cable guides under the TT can be swapped for guides that can carry additional cables.
    The fork is a straight steerer but the head tube is 44mm ID so the external lower cup headset used on the Ramin 4-5-6 will fit with a tapered sus fork, 100mm ideally but 120mm won’t mess it up. Stock rigid fork is 470mm.

mikertroid
    Free Member

JGG

I’ve had a Ramin 4 for a couple of years and it’s a great bike. Its unbelievably capable; I’ve fitted a 120mm Reba, and it’s similar spec to the 5.

I was so close to getting the Iroko this year which looks a riot. Funds preclude that for now….

avdave2

the cable guides under the TT can be swapped for guides that can carry additional cables.

Even better news if I do decide this is the bike for my Rohloff 🙂

faustus

Are there going to be any 2016 Ramin frames/framesets available soon, out of interest?

wonderbadger
    Free Member

Sorry to dig this one up again, wasn’t able to get the Ramin One a month ago due to the time taken to get the cyclescheme voucher through – it’s now here and now I wonder if its worth hanging on to see if there will be any further discount on the 2015 model as the 2016 is only 3 weeks away. Anyone with any insider information or previous experience with Evans, do they discount more at the end of model lifecycle? I suppose the only other risk is that they take the 2015 model off the system entirely (although not sure what they would do with current stock level which has stayed pretty stable in the last 6 weeks).

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Ramin One’ is closed to new replies.