• This topic has 217 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)
  • Pinnacle Ramin One
  • gearaddict
    Free Member

First post on here, looking for some guidance…I recently sold a Scott Aspect 50 which I bought a couple of years ago and never got on with. It always felt like I was leaning too much on my arms and made my neck muscles hurt.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for something decent quality that is more comfortable to ride and not too expensive (sub £500) and the Ramin One struck me as an interesting option. For the money I have, the forks I would get would be pretty average at best so maybe I’m better going with the Ramin One 2014 for £380, which has fairly decent components and getting a decent suspension fork later.

I was in Evans today but they didn’t have any Ramin Ones. I tried another 29er and the guy there was recommending I go with a Medium (my Scott was a Large) since, although I am 181cm tall, I am more leg than body. 🙂 It makes sense – get the bigger pedal-seat distance of the 29er without having to stretch too far forward for the handelbars. The top bar distance on the Medium Ramin One is 585mm, which is identical to the Large Scott Aspect 50.

Anyway, they’ve ordered me in a Medium 2014 one to try (no Large ones in stock) so we’ll see how that goes…

daveh
    Free Member

By its a slow burner this thread!

I hear what you’re saying but a large would be more normal. That of course means nothing but the alarm bells ding-a-ling a tad when there’s only one size in stock and that’s the size recommended to you. No large Ramin 2, 3, 4 or 5s available for you to try?

Jamie
    Free Member

Missed this the first time around.

172cm here, and on a medium Ramin. Also a bit leggy for my height, 31″ inside leg (78ish cm?). Here is how it was set up:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/zSTRn71.jpeg[/img]

…I would really try a large as well, if you can.

metruscan
    Free Member

Just thought I’d chuck in my thoughts as I bought a Ramin One on the £400 offer a couple of months back. I got a medium size, I am 5.8 with 29 inside leg. Bike fits like a glove. A previous poster asked about the tyres, and as I only use this bike off road, I found really didn’t like them at all, so I swapped them out for Trail King 2.4. Big tyres I know, but I like them. 25 ish psi and the grip and handling are amazing. Brakes excellent, gears change as they should, low enough for climbs on The Monkey Trail / Macc Forest etc. The bars were too wide for me, as I prefer to ride past trees and not hit them, so they were cut down. And I swapped the pedals for an old set of more grippy Wellgos. Oh and it needs lock on grips, the supplied ones move about. Hard bike to fault for the money.

alanofm
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” or about 178cm and I ride a medium. I never had the luxury of testing the bike first as mine was bought online and shipped to Munich (where I currently live). I swayed between the two sizes but in the end chose the medium which I would say is perfect for me. I’m more body than leg so more stand-over is welcome. As you are that little bit taller, you may be more comfortable on a large. The last I looked there was a pretty detailed geometry/sizing chart on the evans website, that might be of help.

I had the misfortune of breaking my ankle right at the beginning of June, so I missed most of the summer riding this year. I am feeling strong enough again to get back out there, but it’s definitely time to re-evaluate the tyres. I have a set of Nobby Nic’s that I can throw on which will probably be a pretty decent upgrade to the stock tyres, but I always felt the Nobby Nic was more of a front tyre. I might just get something in 2.4 to squish my way around through winter. Those Trail Kings may be worth a look.

In other news, I upgraded the “finishing kit” to lightweight Syncross gear (although the seatpost is still original as I can’t find the right one) and the rear mech, cassette, chain and shifter is now XT. I had the same problem as Metruscan with the bar, so I got a shorter one so that I can actually get down all the trails in the area without the trees on either side ripping the skin from my hands. I also chucked a set of Ergon grips on there for good measure as the stock ones didn’t take long to fall to pieces.

daveh
    Free Member

You know, there’s only one thing better than a Ramin One…

zempy

……is it a Fluro yellow Ramin 5 frame from evans for £109 (£89 to me as I had a £20 off voucher)!

I snapped my on one scandal last year and have been looking for something cheap to replace it. Just bought an XL after reading this thread and looking at your photos Daveh. I’m 6ft 2.

It’s will be a 1×10 with 100mm (might reduce to 80mm) forks and a 70mm stem.

It’s going to be delivered to my local evans in about a week, can’t wait. I love a bargain.

daveh
    Free Member

It very nearly was but no, it’s a another whole Ramin One. I collect today and will start stripping tonight. Wide bars short stem, carbon fork, hope/crest wheels, 1×10: 38t narrow wide with one up 42t. Looking forward to taking it back for its 6 week service!

daveh
    Free Member

And here we are, work in progress but getting there:

acidchunks

^like 🙂

I have a large ramin 5 frame being delivered to my nearest evans sometime this week. probably won’t look as nice as yours when built though!

alanofm
    Free Member

Your picture is down Daveh, can you post another? I’m dying to get a look at this monster! Will this be a Ramin for off-road riding this time?

In other news: Unseasonably warm weather (in Munich) meant I was riding my Ramin One in shorts and t-shirt on January 10th this year! It’s time to start working off that turkey!

daveh
    Free Member

Sorry, got myself in a pickle because of exif/GPS type issues. Here’s one, but since I’m a tart it’ll have red pedals too soon :lol::

Still commuter biased, but my old blue one has regained off road focus.

alanofm
    Free Member

For the love of 90’s bright paintjobs! That is a really nice looking ride! No need to excuse yourself, I’d be slapping the red pedals on too!

Is there any major differences between the two frames other than colour?

daveh
    Free Member

Don’t think so in terms of geometry etc though last year’s was triple butted and I believe this year’s is only double. Another difference is that last year’s XL came with a 31.6 post (27.2 for the other sizes), this year it’s 27.2 across all sizes

zempy

3 rides on my ramin now. Very impressed the XL is perfect for me ( at 6ft 1 and a bit I usually ride a large). Currently fitted with a salsa rigid fork, but I’ve got a new on one carbon fork to fit. It climbs like a demon even with 1×10 36 rear cassette. I built it for use as a winter hack bike for grotty Peak District night rides. However, the frame is much better than expected, so it will probably get a lot more use than that!

jameso

Daveh, frame is the same. And I suspect that post size difference is a website typo, its always had a 27.2 post.

rtc3000m
    Free Member

Hi all i have just ordered a 2015 ramin frame from evans 😀
    Will this be the right headset i need for it (straight steerer reba forks)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-warhead-44iiss-headset-2014/rp-prod85844

Many thanks

Rich

acidchunks

Yep, that’s the same headset I fitted to my ramin 5 frame on Sunday 🙂

rtc3000m
    Free Member

Great thanks

Rich

daveh
    Free Member

And I suspect that post size difference is a website typo, its always had a 27.2 post.

My 2014 XL definitely came with 31.6, whereas my mates M had a shimmed 27.2. You should be able to make it out from the photos on the first page.

Pedals arrived today, but they’re pink! Boo. Sending them back.

acidchunks

Here’s mine, not as pretty as daveh’s but i’m happy with how it turned out 😀

wors

I’m very tempted!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

acidchunks – what tyres are those?

acidchunks

1.75″ Schwalbe landcruisers, I really rate them. They roll well and the high volume eats potholes.

daveh
    Free Member

I’m very tempted!

I’ll just leave this here: 😈

1.75″ Schwalbe landcruisers, I really rate them.

Do you not find them a bit puncture prone? I moved on to Marathons (Supremes) for that reason.

acidchunks

No, quite the opposite. Used the same 26″ version for 2 years with zero punctures. Only started getting flats on the narrower 700×35 when I’d completely worn down the center tread. These have punctured once in 6 months but that was a seriously evil shard of glass that I reckon would have taken most tyres out.

alanofm
    Free Member

I love that the thread for this gem is still alive!

I must say guys, I am very jealous of the paintjob on the 2015 model, it looks brilliant!

I will eventually get a picture of mine up. I think I’ll stick on the new tyres and pedals this weekend – so maybe a picture then.

Daveh – How do you find that On-One fork on the bike? I am still deciding whether to put a carbon fork or a Reba on mine.

daveh
    Free Member

Pretty good I reckon. I’ve had the carbon tubes with aluminium brace and dropouts type fork before and found the compliance poor yet the stiffness was also poor on the brakes (mind you, I am 15+ stone). And that was on a 26er. The monocoques are certainly an improvement in both areas and they’re very light! They were down to £104 recently which is a very good price but alas they’re back to £150 now. I think the only fault I can pick with them is the wall thickness of the carbon steerer is too thick so getting an expander to fit is difficult.

drewd

Has anyone tried one of these in size small? If so how did they find it? Evans list small for 5’4 to 5’7, so should be a good fit for me at 5’5.5 but I have never owned a 29er so was looking for real world feedback.

I know that the medium and large are popular, and I went and sat on a small Ramin 2 yesterday, but haven’t riden one. I noticed that the small with front suspension is fitted with forks with 20mm less travel than the meduim and large sizes, but the Ramin One forks appear to be the same across all models. Or am I over thinking this?

rtc3000m
    Free Member

Pic of build

jameso

I noticed that the small with front suspension is fitted with forks with 20mm less travel than the meduim and large sizes, but the Ramin One forks appear to be the same across all models. Or am I over thinking this?

80mm works to lower the front end height, it starts to get a bit high for some riders with longer forks and small 29er frames. Drops the BB a tad also. That said it’s only 10-12mm of fork height once you’re riding and the fork’s moving. The rigids are all 470mm long, that’s 100mm-corrected and works out ok for front end height on the S size.

DrP

Well…NOt a Ramin one, but a five frame built up with pro2 evo/Arch Ex rims, and Revelation RL 130mm forks, plus XT running kit..

It’s replaced my 140mm meta 5 full sus (which never got ridden really!).
    This is for playing about on the south down/bike parks/trail centres/all day adventures..

Not had a proper ride on it yet as only finished last night, but went ofr a little spin with the lad.
    All I can say so far is that the ‘black forks’ are like BUTTER!! Uber smooth!

NIce frame, seeing as it was only £98!!

DrP

drewd

80mm works to lower the front end height, it starts to get a bit high for some riders with longer forks and small 29er frames. Drops the BB a tad also. That said it’s only 10-12mm of fork height once you’re riding and the fork’s moving. The rigids are all 470mm long, that’s 100mm-corrected and works out ok for front end height on the S size.

Thanks, it sounds like it might be OK for me then. I just sold my old bike today and was hoping to snag a 2014 model, but it looks like they have sold out since I looked yesterday!

zempy

Daveh. Which bung did you use in your on one carbon forks? My Planet X one is too big to go in the steerer!

daveh
    Free Member

A Planet X one, but I had to file the *”#% out of it, filed the ‘slit cylinder’ such that if could close more and filed both ‘cones’ that act as the wedges. Took ages! There was another Ramin thread recently where someone linked to a bung that supposedly worked.

Better (weekend) pic required but mmmm red pedals:

Quite expensive this cheap bike!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

How come they look to be “currently available” in every size except Small at the morment on Evans website??

Its only January 2015, and you can’t get a 2015 bike 🙄

daveh
    Free Member

XL went out of stock over Christmas, then came back in over new year. Probably just a blip in supply at this moment.

jameso

We’ve sold out until the next drop. Will check on when they’re due in.

jameso

… Mid Feb.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Ramin One’ is closed to new replies.