Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pinnacle bikes 2015, I like.
  • jupiter
    Free Member

Up on the Evans site, I like the look of the Arkose 4 and 5 (and the ss). I am really interested in the Ramin 6, 1×11 120mm black hardtail. Looks fantastic but I presume no front mech ever because of the shorter stays than the rest of the range, and double butted frame rather than last years triple butted frame, would that make a real difference?

prawny

27.2 post though. Fail.

Very close, but ultimately, no ta.

mattjg
    Free Member

27.2 post though. Fail.

Why fail? My bike has a 27.2 seat post, it rides good.

z1ppy

I’d imagine it’s due to the lack of 27.2 dropper posts

jupiter
    Free Member

31.9mm seat tube takes dropper but comes with a shimmed 27.2 seatpost.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

Always liked the look of the Ramin One in blue – not so keen on the new Matt Lime 🙁

brant
    Free Member

27.2mm is a good diameter for a rigid seatpost.
    Bit springier.
    If it’s shimmed, the man is a genius.

jameso

Thanks. Actually the frame tubes are the basically the same aside from the welding type and mods for a longer fork, we’ve just found a few errors in the upload. Web boy’s caffeine drip has been turned up to 11 today.
    Ramin 6 will take an FD (with reduced tyre clearance) if you use the bolt-in cable guides to add a full outer cable to an FD that has a cable stop built in with a bolt-on mech adapter. The guides are meant for dropper routing but an FD could be added with a dropper if you get the 4-cable bolt-on guides. You may want to secure the cable on the upper seat tube with a zip-tie but that’s one advantage of matt black bikes, they don’t show up.
    You can also get 34.9mm clamp-on cable stops that would fit the upper seat tube and allow a std down-swing FD, these have better clearances. Either way you need 1 adapter piece but we thought that better than having redundant stops on an otherwise fairly clean frame. tbh, I’m not sure the 5mm reduction at the rear is a big deal, but shorter tends to be better within reason and it seemed daft not to reduce it if we were 1x specific on this bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d imagine it’s due to the lack of 27.2 dropper posts

There is no lack of 27.2 dropper posts. I have an XFusion HiLo.

FWIW the 430mm chain stays aren’t particularly short for a 29er HT, though making them shorter probably makes the frame production more expensive.

jupiter
    Free Member

Thanks for that info, it’s good to know. I like the Lithium 5 as well (could be expensive at Evans later in the year); no Neon’s this year,too much like the Hoy bikes?

jameso

making them shorter probably makes the frame production more expensive.

430mm actual is about 424mm rear-centre – 26ers ride well at that length, tbh I see no need to go shorter. Particularly as front-centres gets longer on slacker 29ers. I think the front-rear ratios get out of hand on some 29ers – yes they’re fun in some respects but it’s not all positives imo. I know ‘shortest’ sells bikes and some will disagree with me, that’s ok.

prawny

27.2mm is a good diameter for a rigid seatpost.
    Bit springier.
    If it’s shimmed, the man is a genius.

Only had a quick look but if this is true, then I take it all back.

It’s not that there’s no 27.2 droppers but it does limit your choice.

Edit – read the evans site properly. I take it all back and now want one badly. Apologies.

jupiter
    Free Member

430mm is short enough for me, it’s not a custom 44 bike(which I would love, but very expensive); but for a mainstream dealer I think it looks great.

jameso

Neons are the same as 2014 – no changes from SRAM + Shimano on those bikes and they’re pretty much what we want them to be really, selling well. Hoy bikes aren’t any influence on these bikes, 2 separate lines.

Brant, it is / thanks for the thumbs up.

mattjg
    Free Member

430mm actual is about 424mm rear-centre – 26ers ride well at that length, tbh I see no need to go shorter. Particularly as front-centres gets longer on slacker 29ers. I think the front-rear ratios get out of hand on some 29ers – yes they’re fun in some respects but it’s not all positives imo. I know ‘shortest’ sells bikes and some will disagree with me, that’s ok.

Sure, fair points. My Yelli Screamy rides very well at 424mm actual (dno what rear centre is), I’m going to try my N9 with the sliders slammed forwards (Canfield say that’s 418mm) but I have a feeling it’s going to start to feel a but front-rear unbalanced (for general trail riding) as you suggest.

Whether a few mm makes much difference unless in the hands of an expert (I’m not), is also moot.

Good job on the frames jameso, especially binning the front mech.

z1ppy

5mm made all the difference to the feel of my rear end 😛

What’s the rest of geometry figures, unchanged from 2014?
    (or when will you whip the web monkey’s into updating the Pinnacle site?)

jameso

Geo sheets going up anytime now. On the Ramin 4-6 frames the HA is a degree slacker static with the longer fork. BB dropped, SA a little steeper. Reach is a little longer but it’s not really changed the fit.
    The 1-3 are same as 2014 frames with 100mm fork geo. They’ll take 120mm though.

Clink

No ss version?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone ride the 2015 version yet? Thinking of a 2015 R5 on CTW as my 2014 R4 is so much fun….

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone??! 😐

mikertroid
    Free Member

I see the 6 has been reduced to within an acceptable margin above the CTW scheme…

SRAM X1 Reba RLT, tubeless ready….

Roll on April!!!

mcnultycop

Fancy an Akrose 4 now, I’ve just been down to Evans Trafford Centre and had a look at the 3 and 5 SS (no 4 and 5 in) and they look great.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My 2014 Ramin 4 is a great bike. I think you get pretty good spec, geometry and fun for the money!
    It’s a bit heavy but that’s not a problem where I ride it but the next bike will do the odd 6&24hr race next year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle bikes 2015, I like.’ is closed to new replies.