• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Apologies for the late reply mcnultycop – I have 38’s on mine.

Jameso, thanks continually posting on here. Can I check in with you please, I’m looking at another Arkose and I was wondering if you have any of the 2018 Arkose 1 framesets going at all? I love the colour and glittery appeal of the 1 🙂

jameso

No probs : ) No Arkose 1 framesets sorry TD .. just the stock separate frameset.

charliem
    Free Member

@jameso – Mudguards to cover 700×40 tyres on an arkose 4 – bluemels/chromoplastics (not sure what the difference is)? Something else? Thanks

jameso

40mm tyres and reasonable space for guards might be an issue if you have 11s – FD arm is a bit long. Also hard to get a 45mm section guard in over a 40mm tyre on the 2016 bike – more clearance on the 2017-18. Any guard should work if it’s 45mm section but you’ll prob find a 35mm tyre and a 42mm guard an easier fit.

charliem
    Free Member

Thanks jameso! It’s a 2018 model so no FD & decent clearance, will try some 45mm sks somethings and see what happens.

pclayto
    Free Member

hi JB72

The cable routing did confuse me for a while.  Looking at online photos, the internal gear cable would cross inside the downtube.  That’s how I have installed my cables, as JamesO recommends.  The cables do not touch the frame at all, if installed like this.

Next time though, I will do it so they internal cables do not cross.  This is how some other bike brands have it, but the cables will rub the headtube, so some protective tape will be required.

jeffl

Just bought a frameset to replace a broken London Road. Looking at the internal cable routing it appears there’s no stop for the brake cable. Which makes sense if you’re using hydraulics, but I’m using BB7s. I assume people just run a full length outer for the rear brake even for the internal routing.

jameso

I assume people just run a full length outer for the rear brake even for the internal routing.

Yep, esp. for cable brakes. Once you get the outer length right, feed it as far in from the lever end as poss, wrap a few cable ties around the outer and feed them as far up the outer as poss – help reduce any potential rattles. If possible, seal the caliper end with some grease under the end cap or use a shielded cap.

jeffl

Cracking thanks 😀

jeffl

So finally found some time to build the frame up. I was really impressed especially with the smalls things, for example all bolts e.g. for bottle cages were already greased. Anyway on a quick local shakedown ride of a few miles I really like it. Seems more compliant than the London Road frame which it replaced. Not got round to weighing it yet but so far really like it.

Good job Jameso.

Sorry pic isn’t the best.

paulst
    Free Member

Hi.

Well, firstly: this has been one of the continually best threads through me deciding to buy and Arkose in 2015, and subsequently what people recommend to kit it out with. Such a welcome relief from the rest of the internet!

And also @jameso as others have said, thanks for continually posting here. It’s great to get tips and suggestions straight from the horse’s mouth.

Can you tell there’s a question coming though!? 😉

Unfortunately my Arkose 4 2015 frame just broke. (Is it trying to tell me to lose weight?) It was all going rather well getting replaced under warranty and was getting built up yesterday, but unfortunately the one they’d ordered in was one of the newer frames that has the through-axle on the front fork instead of quick-release. Apparently, there isn’t any of the 2015 year frames left now, so they need to contact the warranty people again on Tuesday to work out what to do.

I guess one option is to get a different front wheel.

However, I’ve just been looking at the Evan’s website and there’s still some stock of the Dolomite frameset from 2016 which seems to still have the QR on the front fork. So I was wondering whether to suggest that as an option too as whilst it is nice to have the option for wider tyres, I’ve only ever had max 28s on there as I’ve just been commuting on roads with it.

So my question is:

– are the main differences between the Dolomite and Arkose just that the Arkose has a little bit longer wheelbase, BB bit higher off the ground, and much better clearance for wide tyres?

Thanks for any advice anyone,

Paul.

jameso

Hi Paul, good to know the warranty process worked out, shouldn’t be any probs if you wanted the Dolomite frame. Geometry tables are on the Evans site, they fit similarly just with the handling differences you’d expect from the more road biased design. Still, it’s not a racy, low bike, more of a good winter trainer, audaxer kind of road bike. HTH.. cheers James

paulst
    Free Member

Thanks @jameso for the reply.

Popped into the store this afternoon to chat to them about it. There was only one of the Dolomite frames with QR on the front left in stock at the warehouse, so they’ve ordered it for me already before someone else snaps it up. So at least I have a fallback now if the Arkose is not going to be an option. Although I guess it would have only been a case of getting a through-axle compatible front-wheel to replace my QR one. Anyway, will see what the warranty peeps suggest.

Thanks again.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of the Alfine or the x?

I’m toying between the 2; I’ve had an iOID Alfine for years and it’ been faultless.

Mainly for bridleways and long rides round Cranbourne Chase/Salisbury plain.

pclayto
    Free Member

Here’s another photo of my Arkose 2016, in commuting mode.  Fitted with Schalwbe Road Cruisers 40c, but they only measure 38mm wide.  I got away with fitting the 45mm mudguards.

Pinnacle Arkose 2 2016

Splash-man
    Free Member

I keep looking at the Arkose and wanting to buy one but how the hell do I justify it when I have no use for one !

I either to change jobs or move house or retire.

Help, the teal and the luminous yellow look lovely !

Help me justify !

mounse701
    Free Member

Hi, I’m after some very specific Arkose knowledge please!

I’m currently building up a new bike but have yet to buy the frameset which will more than likely be an 2017 Arkose 4.
    I’m hoping to use a set of 650b Fulcrum Red Power wheels that has a 15mm thru axle on the front. I’ve bought a 12mm sleeve that will shim the hub down to 12mm so it can be used with the Arkose. My worry is that the 15mm part has an outer diameter of 20mm which may catch on the inside of the fork dropouts. Are the Arkose forks flush on the inside of the forks or are they shaped in a way that will prevent me from using these wheels?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hi all, quick question (because i’m being somewhat lazy and haven’t trawled through the earlier posts much!), that I guess Jameso might know the answer to- 43mm panaracer gravel kings on stock rims on 2015 arkose 4, will they fit? anyone already got any on theirs? either tubeless or not…

jameso

Are the Arkose forks flush on the inside of the forks or are they shaped in a way that will prevent me from using these wheels?

Hope that makes sense?

Sorry, late reply, been away. Yes it makes sense, I’d have to check a fork though and won’t have one in front of me for a few days. It’s not entirely flush there but I can’t be sure if it’s in any way that will cause an issue for the larger end cap.

Is it not possible to replace the hub end cap instead? One reason that going with 12mm for a bike like this was OK was that you can go down a size for 15mm hubs, but not all 12mms can go up a size.

43mm panaracer gravel kings on stock rims on 2015 arkose 4, will they fit?

Can’t see why not, the rims were ATD490, TLR with 17mm internal width. Ideally I’d go a bit wider these days but that was the spec range then. Fork crown clearance might be a bit tight, 40mm Nanos fitted but only just.

(same for others asking about ATD490s and tubeless a while back)

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Hi,

can any of the current framsets be ran  Singlepseed? I really need to replace my ageing commuter with something disk friendly. Thanks.

jameso

^ The Arkose Alfine frameset can – https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-alfine-2017-frameset-EV294333

(ignore the 2017 tag, it’s the same frame on 2018 bike also)

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso, that should have been bleedin’ obvious 🙂 I blame a long ride yesterday 🙂

windysurfer
    Free Member

Still enjoying my 2015 Arkose 4. Currently running Nano 40’s and managed to fit some mudguards with a bit of help from a hacksaw and heatgun.

Any chance a 650b will squeeze into this frame?

Here it is in all it’s glory after a very muddy ride

ElShalimo

@jameso – re: 2018 women’s Arkose, my wife is thinking about getting a new do-it-all bike and I recommended the Arkose. She has tried drops before and had issues with the finger reach whilst in the drops, reaching to the lever. (It was a men’s bike though). For the kind of riding we do this would be ideal if she was comfy with the “reach”.

Do the women’s versions have different STI shifters? Or are they fitted with shims for smaller hands?
    Thanks

mounse701
    Free Member

Is it not possible to replace the hub end cap instead? One reason that going with 12mm for a bike like this was OK was that you can go down a size for 15mm hubs, but not all 12mms can go up a size.

Thanks Jameso for the reply.
    The Fulcrum hubs I have seem to be built around a 20mm axle which have a 15mm thru-axle spacing. I don’t think I can change the end caps but I may be wrong. I had a look at some Arkose forks yesterday and there is quite a definite shoulder around the 12mm opening which may obstruct my Fulcrum hub.
    My problem now is I’ve faffed around so much that all the medium 2017 Arkose 4 framesets have sold out!
    Thanks again for the reply.

ransos
    Free Member

Just ordered myself a 2018 Arkose 2.

ElShalimo

a gloomy afternoon bump for @jameso

jameso

Do the women’s versions have different STI shifters? Or are they fitted with shims for smaller hands?

Bump spot … Same STIs as the RS405 and 505 have reach adjustment, ~10mm in total at the fintertip area.

ElShalimo

@jameso – thanks, that’s good news !

Do the guys in-store know this too?

jrmac
    Free Member

Hello,

Just a few questions if you dont mind.

I understand the FD “pull” is from the bottom, but what about the swing? Is it to from the bottom?

Does anyone use inline brake levers with there mech disc brakes? Can you still get a tight/firm lever is it mushy?

Last one..i promise. Has anyone fitted a drop seat post on their arkosy? model? internal or external? did you have to hack into the frame for the cable?

jameso

Do the guys in-store know this too?

All 600 of them? Maybe not, if I was on the shop floor for the day I’m sure I would be caught out on not knowing the spec detail of every part, to be fair. It says on the product page of the Evans site that 505s have reach adjust but not on the 405 spec. 405s do have it though.

jameso

Just ordered myself a 2018 Arkose 2.

High 5!

jameso

I understand the FD “pull” is from the bottom, but what about the swing? Is it to from the bottom?

Not sure what you mean there sorry?

Does anyone use inline brake levers with there mech disc brakes? Can you still get a tight/firm lever is it mushy?

Does tend to make them less positive or at least more sensitive to set up, we used to spec them then removed them later on. It was a popular spec a while back but the CX link has faded and they seem less requested now.

Last one..i promise. Has anyone fitted a drop seat post on their arkosy? model? internal or external? did you have to hack into the frame for the cable?

Don’t hack/drill into the frame : ) just run it under the TT with some zip ties maybe?

ElShalimo

@jameso – thanks

ransos
    Free Member

High 5!

Cheers! And bang on the Cycle to work limit…

While you’re here, do you have a recommendation for mudguards and pannier rack? Thanks.

duncancallum

I’m getting a 2 unless any one can convince me a 3 is worth the extra

jameso

While you’re here, do you have a recommendation for mudguards and pannier rack? Thanks.

Any/most good ones will fit, the bike doesn’t have any specific mount needs. You may find some 26″ racks fit OK as the upper eyelet on the SS is ~20mm higher than if it were on the rear of the dropout.

jameso

I’m getting a 2 unless any one can convince me a 3 is worth the extra

What you get is the full carbon fork (-250g or so) and 11s 105 with a Praxis compact chainset. Just comes down to whether you value that for the added £250.

I won’t suggest the 3 rides dramatically (or even much) differently, perhaps I’d pick up on the carbon steerer fork being a tad comfier if I was feeling particularly sensitive but I wouldn’t bet a large sum on it. The 2 is a great bike for the money, the 3 mainly upgrades the spec.

ransos
    Free Member

Any/most good ones will fit, the bike doesn’t have any specific mount needs. You may find some 26″ racks fit OK as the upper eyelet on the SS is ~20mm higher than if it were on the rear of the dropout.

Thanks. 50mm width for the guards?

eklami
    Free Member

Hi all! Based on this thread I had guts to order one and it finally arrived to Finland last week. So far it feels good and seems to be what I imagined beforehand! I was just starting to fit mudguards and noticed that the front fork design seems to got updated at some point as mine has normal hole through the fork in the up and the eyelets are in the end of the fork and not in the middle anymore, is this the normal way for new Arkoses? I was mentally prepared to twist and fiddle to get front mudguard installed nicely. The saddle has been positive surprise also, might not need a change at all.

And here’s how a stock Three looks like, going to add mudguards and rack for commuting.

Brand new 3

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.