• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • andysmiff1
    Free Member

Can anyone with a newer arkose post some pics of the down tube entry ports for the internal cable routing?

Thanks!

A

wilburt
    Free Member

Does the newer one have a thru axle for the rear wheel?

jameso

wilburt

Does the newer one have a thru axle for the rear wheel?

No, just the front.

lifecycl3

Do you think there is any chance evans would swap just the fork for me. maybe for some sur charge?

Probably not as a red fork on it’s own isn’t worth a lot as a resale but if the frame’s not built up, pop it back in the box and swap it for the Arkose 4 frame that has the full carbon fork. It’s about 450g vs 700ish iirc for the Al steerer version.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Biggest 650b tyre I’ll get on a 2016 Arkose 4 fork? Got a 2″ Specialized Fast Track measuring up at about 48mm wide on the rim, will it work?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Having actually done a bit of reading now, this sounds a bit unlikely.

sandwicheater

Anyone have 30/32mm road tyres and guards? You mind sharing a photo?

Don’t fancy massive/wide guards as will be 70% road duties and unsure how well narrow guards would fit in the mahoosive forks.

Very tempted by the 2017 4.

johnnystorm

Sandwicheater, I’ve emailed you a picture. 🙂

sandwicheater

Thanks johnnystorm, reckon I’ll got for it. Cheers

rdmp2
    Free Member

Is James Olsen still hanging around this thread? If so- strange question for you. Having an recurring issue with fitting the rear wheel of my 2017 Arkose 2. Its really hard to fully seat into the dropouts- I have to remove the skewer, rest the wheel on the dropouts and physically pull them apart for the wheel to drop in. Entirely possibly I’m being incompetent and doing something wrong but I’ve never had this problem across a dozen other bikes yet it happens every time I remove the rear wheel of the Arkose. Have you ever come across this before?

Cheers

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Does anyone know the weight of the 2016 arkose 4 frame or frameset. I looked on evans website but there is conflicting information. Thanks

Andy

XL frame, headset, seat clamp 1730 gms. XL forks with maxle 510 gms (kitchen scales….)

charliem
    Free Member

Finally cracked and bought one of the new arkose 4’s…took it for its first decent ride yesterday, absolutely love it. Turns out disc brakes and wider tyres can make riding awful roads in the pissing rain quite fun. Might get a 44 or 46t chainring for the front…then I just need to get it set up tubeless!

Question for any 2017/2018 owners – what mudguards are good on these frames with wide tyres? Running the stock riddlers atm but have ordered some 40c g one speeds so looking for something that’ll cover those.

Oh and props to my local Evans for giving me BC discount. First time using evans and I was a bit nervous straying away from LBS but so far so good…

pclayto
    Free Member

Hi, I have just signed up to this forum so that I could do to this post.

I have just bought a Pinnacle Arkose 2 frameset, 2016.  So far liking the look of it, having just built it up the other day.  Not ridden it yet though.  I am not sure if a crown race needs to be fittted to the forks though, as there appears to be a visible gap between the forks and the frame.  Can anyone look at their arkose and advise?  None of my other road bikes have such a visible gap.

thanks, Paul

20180220_232758

20180218_162027

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Does the fork look like it has a built in bearing seat at the right angle??

I think if you put a crown race on that wasn’t meant to be there, then the gap would be much bigger than what your photo shows, it just wouldn’t sit on the crown of the fork.

From what I remember, my 2014 version with carbon steerer had a crown race

jameso

Missed a few here recently –

@pclayto
    – They all use a crown race yes, looks normal, there’s usually around 2mm gap there. What headset did you use? Might be worth checking the race is seated evenly all the way down but it looks fine from the photo.

@rdmp2
    – Yep, just hadn’t seen the thread bumped up in recent weeks sorry. Sounds like it’s worth checking the dropout spacing or alignment, the shop can do that for you. If it’s out, sorry for the faff but we can get it sorted for you, the guys at the shop will advise.

pclayto
    Free Member

Thanks for the response, James.  I will drop the forks out later and have a look.  I didn’t inspect it too much, I used the headset bearing that came with the frameset from Evans cycles.

I took the bike out for a quick 300 yard test, and it all seemed fine.  I’m impressed, and loving the colour.

For info, I went with the XL, and I am 188cm (6ft2).

rdmp2
    Free Member

Thanks James, will do.

FWIW your willingness to contribute to this thread was a major factor in buying my Arkose!

chrisdb
    Free Member

I’m going to buy an Arkose in cycle to work but I am torn between the 3 and 4

i prefer the luminous colour of the 4 for visibility and less likely to get stolen.

How does the SRAM groupset stacknup against 105? I’m used to ultegra so makes me a bit nervous.

Any other differences between the two?

staffo
    Free Member

What is it about the Arkose frame that makes it suitable for 650b wheels? The BB drop at 76mm is 6mm lower than similar bikes such as the Planet X offerings, which I thought would make pedal strikes more likely?

jameso

What is it about the Arkose frame that makes it suitable for 650b wheels?

Nothing more than any other frame with the clearance, tbh. The layout and geo suits a more capable tyre but the Pyrolite is also a great bike on 650B and that’s a more road-going geometry.

BB drop – 70mm BB drop is common spec for a road race bike on 700 x 23mm tyres with an OD of about 670mm. A 700 x 32 or 650B x 47 will be ~685mm. The Arkose increases BB drop to keep the BB at about the same height while the wheel gets a bit bigger.

Assumption is that we need higher BBs for off-road use, but enough clearance for quite rooty singletrack would compromise road and gravel cornering and general handling for a drop bar bike imo. Road race spec or ISO lean angle regulations also assume pedalling round corners – who does that outside a crit race? On a CX race course the off-cambers might justify a 5-8mm BB raise over road bike spec but ime a  low-ish BB is a benefit more of the time. And it’s only ~6mm lower – not a big difference.

mcnultycop

Hopefully a really quick question:

Will I get a set of G-One Tubeless tyres to seat OK on my Alex ATD-490 32H rims on my 2015 Arkose 4 (I’ve got an Airshot)?

I’m still running the 35c Small Block 8’s it comes with as standard (on my second or third set) – could I squeeze a set of 38c G-ones in the frame?

Thanks

pclayto
    Free Member

My Pinnacle Arkose 2 2016 on its maiden voyage.  Handlebars still need adjusting….

Pinnacle Arkose 2 2016

riddoch

My 2015 arkose 3 wheels which are alex but not sure of the model are running tubless.

But I use stans rim strip rather than tape and the join on the rim seemed to leak initially so probably not officially tubless ready.

riddoch

Jameso,

Is there any plans to extend the Pyrolite range (only sora model on thr website) or alternately ship Arkose with 650b wheels?

Also what happened to the steel version?

Neil

jameso

Is there any plans to extend the Pyrolite range

Not yet, possibly next year – we’re just seeing what the reaction is. Arkose with 650B, probably for MY19, not all but some.

Steel version – will arrive under a different name as basically the ‘Arkose Touring’ – a triple, guards and a rack, steel fork.

scgf
    Free Member

I have an Arkose 2 2016 model. I’m looking to see how I could improve it rather than buying a new bike. Having read loads online it appears that new wheels are a good upgrade. Any ideas?

My Arkose 2

scgf
    Free Member

After getting lots of help in another forum I decided to buy a set of wheels. I chose HUNT 4Season Gravel Disc with fitted tubeless Schwalbe G One AllRound tyres.

johnnystorm

McNultycop:

I’ve run 40c nanos in my Arkose on Alpkit Orbit wheels without too much bother (some paint has rubbed off when it was really muddy, not tyre rub.)

On the stock wheels I’ve run gravel kings tubeless with tesa tape, no issues whatsoever.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I have G Ones on mine and they have been brilliant, so much fun on them in the snow this week 🙂

mcnultycop

Cheers Johnnystorm.

What size do you have teadrinker?

staffo
    Free Member

I’ve been considering an Arkose 3 to replace my Planet X London Road but the difference in Stack height has put me off. My small London Road has a stack of 532mm compared to the 570.5mm of the small Arkose. I’ve just had a look at small Arkose in my local Evans and it was next to a size 50.5cm Norco Search A which has a stack of 529mm. Looking at the 2 bikes side by side there didn’t appear to be 41mm difference between the top of the head tubes (even taking into account the different BB drops and tyre sizes).

Does anyone (maybe Jameso) know if the stack height is measured differently or exaggerated on the Arkose compared to other brands?

Cheers

Staff

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Anyone have a medium arkose frameset that they want to move on?

currently you can pick up a 2016 frame for £230, but not sure i can justify another new frame – but if anyone has one they’re done with then i could be tempted to try one out.

cheers

jameso

Does anyone (maybe Jameso) know if the stack height is measured differently or exaggerated on the Arkose compared to other brands?

It’s not that high imo – I’d say many brands’ all-road bikes are too low, too road-biased for off-road or longer-ride use.

The Arkose has a slightly longer fork than some, plus a lower BB – that’s 10-12mm of stack. But it’s not a road race bike where you spend time cruising in the bunch on the hoods or at full pelt mainly on the drops over an hour or 2 max. It’s a type of bike where you brake better from the drops and you ideally need to be able to use the drops 50% of the time, to ride all day or have off-road security. If the stack is too high it may be the wrong bike for you, or you might benefit from adapting to higher stack for the use the bike is good for. All in all, I see a lot of this bike type with flipped up stems, bars rotated up and a few spacers, but rarely slammed.

RustySpanner

Looking forward to seeing the steel tourer, sounds spot on.

What colour did you go for?

benmullard
    Free Member

Hi James (O),

I have been using my Arkose X on road recently (I now have three sets of wheels for it – originals with Nano 40Cs, 650b with WTB Byways and some Mavic Aksiums from my new road bike) and occasionally run out of top end gears.

I’m thinking a new chainring (40 or 42T) will probably do, without losing too much at the other end (11-36 cassettes all round).

What is the BCD of the chainring used on the X?

Thanks.

Ben

jameso

RS, it’ll be gloss black. Small copper details. Not called Arkose though : )

Hi Ben, it’s a 5 arm road, 110 BCD. Which wheels do you prefer for 50/50 mixed terrain rides?

benmullard
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso – the 650bs are probably the best all round: quick enough on road, great on dirt and gravel and only really fall down in proper mud. I used them for the Gold CX gravel cross event last October – struggled in the wet chalky mud, as did everyone else, otherwise they were spot on.

Cheers

Benn

jb72
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an Arkose 2 2016 frame (like pclayto above) – any tips on the internal cabling? I guess the gear cables cross over internally … is there a recommended order for inserting them?

Thanks.

jameso

any tips on the internal cabling? I guess the gear cables cross over internally … is there a recommended order for inserting them?

I’d recommend the RHS / rear mech cable go into the LHS of the frame so as you say, they cross internally. Just feed them in, either first, they’ll pop out the bottom and then go to the BB cable guide. It’s just about as easy as an external cable route.

jb72
    Free Member

Thanks jameso.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.