• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • umop3pisdn
    Free Member

SPAM

Selling an XL Arkose 4 Frameset

/SPAM

Ewan
    Free Member

jameso – do you know if any major changes are planned for 2018? I’m interested in the Arkose 3 as it’s got the hydro discs (going to use a commuter in all weathers)…

Also would you happen to know if Evans give a BC discount?

spooky_b329

BC discount seconded, reckon the Arkose Alfine is in budget if they will do the 10% – but as its an ‘in-house’ brand I doubt there is much incentive.

Also, is the internal frame routing on the Alfine model specific to the Alfine, or the same as the other UK spec models? I know the LTD Di2 has different blanking plates but I guess the frame itself is the same on all models?

Ewan
    Free Member

Just an update on this – I emailed evans – the reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately I can advise that we no longer offer a British cycling discount.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Gary_M
    Free Member

How easy it to change the rear mech cable on the arkose 4? Mine snapped this morning so I’ll need to change when I get home tonight.

Is it a total faff?

jameso

How easy it to change the rear mech cable on the arkose 4? Mine snapped this morning so I’ll need to change when I get home tonight.

Is it a total faff?

Couldn’t be easier. Let us know if I’m wrong : )

jameso

jameso – do you know if any major changes are planned for 2018?

Same frames, some colour changes and minor spec details. Nothing major.

Also, is the internal frame routing on the Alfine model specific to the Alfine

Yes sort of, it’s a specific frame as it has the EBB and the cabling needs to be a little different. Cable routing is full outer to the hub, external around the EBB area, but you could 1x it if needed as it has an extra RD cable stop on the CS (also for full outer).

Moses

SPAM

I’ve just advertised a 2nd hand medium Arkose 3 on the classified

/Spam

Gary_M
    Free Member

Couldn’t be easier. Let us know if I’m wrong : )

That’s good news. I’ve not looked under the bb but sounds like I just feed through the downtube then pops out at the bb. Fingers crossed 🙂

rob1887
    Free Member

jameso – do you happen to know if the 2018 Arkose models will keep the matte paint finish? I am close to clicking “buy” on an Arkose 1 which ticks all the boxes for me but am not convinced by matte paint.
    Anyone have any opinions on the durability of the Arkose matte finish?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mine has certainly stood up well to 22 months of commuting. Couple of chips but that’s nothing to do with the paint.

Cable through the downtube was a breeze btw, hardest bit was getting it through the shifetr.

jameso

do you happen to know if the 2018 Arkose models will keep the matte paint finish?

They will do, yes. With tan wall WTB Riddlers.

The Arkose LTD ED is gloss powder-coat black if that helps sell it?

Cable through the downtube was a breeze btw, hardest bit was getting it through the shifetr.

‘thumbs up’

jimdubleyou

It’s chipped away from the carbon fork where I take the front wheel off and otherwise generally abuse the bike.

Can’t tell when the wheel is on though…

Otherwise, it’s been pretty sturdy.

Ewan
    Free Member

Jameso – I’ve just bought a 2017 arkose 3 and i’m trying to work out which mounts I should use for the mudguards and which i should use for the rack. The frame has a set on the inside of the triangle and a set on the outside.

Having reviewed the thread I’ve seen that the pinnacle 3 that Brigante posted a page or so back has both the rack and mudguard mounts on the outside of the triangle – this makes more sense to me as there seems to be very little space between the disc and the inner mount on the non drive side. I think they’re both 2017 frames, so what’s going on?

Bregantes rear triangle

My rear triangle

jameso

Hi Ewan, the inside hidden mount was how they were arranged on the 1st production run. The idea was to use the inner mount with a taper/flatter headed bolt to mount a guard, the outer for the rack that needs more space – or just use the outer one for guards only. Feedback was that no-one was bothered about seeing 2 mounts on the outside and using std bolts was easier so they were moved on a later batch.

rob1887
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback on the paint.
    Jameso -thanks for the info on the 2018 bikes.
    I’ve gone ahead and ordered an Arkose 1!

shindiggy
    Free Member

Looking for a wheel upgrade from the stock 2017 arkose 3 wheels, anybody know the stock wheel weight.

benmullard
    Free Member

I thought I’d keep this thread updated with my ongoing experiences – I used my Arkose X for the “Gold Rush Gravel Cross” event at the weekend, running on the 650b wheels and WTB Byways.

Apart from one particularly sloppy and rutted section, it all worked very well (the original fit 40c WTB Nanos would have been better for that bit, but I think most things would have struggled, given how muddy it was and how deep the ruts were), coping with some fairly rough off-road sections and having enough gears for the various up and downs on road. A thoroughly good morning out!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1231449446

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Arkose in Matte black.
    Other than a bit of paint flaking off where the QRs clamp onto the drop outs, the only scuff I’ve got was due to it sliding down a metal lamp post – I’m not sure any paint finish could/would survive that.

So, yes, I think it is pretty durable.

benmullard
    Free Member

Agreed – mine is holding up well. A few grease marks (mine is white!) but cleans up well and, with the exception of small sections on the dropouts, still looks good / almost as new.

charliem
    Free Member

Quite like the look of the new arkose 4 (rival 1x, tubeless ready) although not 100% on the colour…

kelron
    Free Member

Lime green with tan sidewalls looks a bit weird to me.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I think the colour is awesome but agree all black tyres and rims would look better.

rOcKeTdOg

save me trawling 25 pages, the arkose 3 review from Road.CC on page one says “35mm tyre but you could probably go bigger” anyone know how big? and does the arkose 4 have more clearance? what are the differences between the 3 and 4 apart from around £100 for the frameset?

ciquta
    Free Member

you can go as far as 700×45 since MY 2017

johnnystorm

I have a 2015 Arkose 4 and can fit 40c Nanos in it. Lots of mud and you get fork rub. Afaik the 2016 & 17 have more clearance. The LTD comes with Riddler 45c doesn’t it? So 2018 greater again.

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers

swanny853

Ooooh. That is nice. I find myself tempted by something with a little more clearance than my Pro6. Any ideas on the frame weight anyone? Or if you could persuade stealth dropper routing round the BB?

Is there anywhere you can demo these ‘properly’? I know ‘Evans’ but I was largely assuming that would just be round the car park.

riddoch

If you are at testing at the Gatwick store there is a bridleway that heads off just outside the car park, it’s basically a short farm track but it would be better than the car park. I think they might say don’t get it dirty but not sure. I don’t think the test rides a particularly time limited so you have time to get out of the carpark if you want 🙂

jameso

Any ideas on the frame weight anyone?

~1650g. Bear in mind I’m not a weenie so that’s from memory of last time I weighed one. The Pyrolite frame is very similar, same tube spec apart from CS and slightly different butting, that’s 1610g in L size for the laquered but no paint sample frame.

there is a bridleway that heads off just outside the car park, it’s basically a short farm track but it would be better than the car park.

Be really careful there in the daytime – a lot of heavy-loaded trucks and loading going on there. I’ve seen those trucks going pretty fast in and out of that site as well as up and down the road outside, where people also ignore the double yellows. It’s not a great road.

what are the differences between the 3 and 4 apart from around £100 for the frameset?

Full carbon fork on the 4 f/s. Frames are all the same spec though.

rOcKeTdOg

Thanks jameso

swanny853

Cheers Jameso

I’m not going to get hung up on 20g here or there but I’m not keen on adding a chunk of weight into the frame if I can avoid it, which I think is what the tripster AT would do compared to the pro 6. Actually, I just looked it up and it’s (claimed) 1.42 up to 1.84kg. I suspect it adds the stiffness for riding hard with luggage but the pro6 is my road bike too and I’ll keep weight off it where I can.

I notice the spec says three bottle cage mounts but I can’t see them on the photos- am I looking in the right place under the downtube? Any hints on stealth routing- I’ve had a few crashes trying to ride something steep and slippery on the drops and the saddle has caught up with me!

Be really careful there in the daytime

I’m only up the road from Gatwick so it’s where I’d go, thanks for the advice.

jameso

The photo samples used last year’s frame as it’s identical apart from the under DT bosses. Production bikes have them, they just needed ISO tests before production.
    Stealth dropper routing not inc, would be a case of drilling out one of the gear cable guides to take a full outer if you’re not going to use an FD, then route around BB casing/shell. It’d be tight but fine for a hydro hose.

I’m not keen on adding a chunk of weight into the frame if I can avoid it, which I think is what the tripster AT would do compared to the pro 6.

Someone at work bought a new Tripster AT (Alu), frame was in the office the other day. 1910g in a Small. Suprised at that tbh.

swanny853

The photo samples used last year’s frame as it’s identical apart from the under DT bosses.

Thanks

drilling out one of the gear cable guides

The holes are inner only then? Any pictures of how they exit under the bb? I wonder how easy it would be to 3D print a version of the classic under bb cable guide that would sit inside the be shell to take it round the axle sleeve.

1910g in a Small. Suprised at that tbh.

I was a bit disappointed as it’s getting heavy enough to push it out of what I’m looking for. It’s a shame because I quite like the look of it, the kinesis guys were very helpful and the short ride round the park I had on one seemed nice. I just know what that extra weight starts to do to a road bike- if I was looking for a rough duty tourer/tough cx bike primarily I think it’d be pretty on the money.

I think they said it was basically the downtube off the old FF29, which may give some clue as to construction/intent.

jameso

Any pictures of how they exit under the bb?

Not to hand sorry, it’s an open port between DT and BB shell, to a std cable guide under the BB. See comments above / earlier about the level of doddle in replacing them.

swanny853

it’s an open port between DT and BB shell

Like this?

johnnystorm

Yep, near as dammit arrangement (not for the front mech though).

ciquta
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find a cheap wheelset for this stupid 12×100 axle

any idea?
    should I go with adapters instead?

jameso

should I go with adapters instead?

The good thing about a 12mm fork is you can space down a 15mm XC 29er front wheel if the adapters are available.

lifecycl3
    Free Member

@ JamesO
    Ive just received an arkose 3 2017 frame set (the red/orange one)
    Looks pretty nice, smoothed welds and sort of cowled drop outs.
    My main concern now is that the fork (aluminum steer tube) feels a bit hefty in the hand. Dont suppose you know how much lighter the all carbon fork on the 2017 arkose 4 is?
    Do you think there is any chance evans would swap just the fork for me. maybe for some sur charge?
    cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.