• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • jameso

Tease us a bit more about the steel version James….

Sure – it’ll be a tourer. Triple MTB gearing, Marathon Mondials, rack and guards. Might do a minimal 1x bikepacker spec but for now we wanted more of a classic tourer as we haven’t got that in the range. I like the testing opportunities it may present..
    Got delayed by factory issues but good things come from that. It’s now made by a smaller factory who are really good, impressed by them. Will probably offer it as a frameset also.

RustySpanner

Sounds excellent.
    Standard QR’s?

If you want someone who can compare it first hand to a Disc Trucker and an AWOL, give us a shout, eh?
    😀

And please paint it in a decent colour, no drab greens or browns, they look so unappealing.
    I know it’s a tourer and doesn’t need to attract too much attention, but it can still look good….

faustus

On the contrary, keep the greens and browns and the lovely matt finishes! Nobody wants a touring bike in enduro colours 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

Speak for yourself Grandad!

jameso

Standard QR’s?

Yes : ) and IS disc mounts.

Thanks for the colours feedback. Won’t be full enduro, not classic MG either. Not decided yet tbh.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Looking for an Arkose ss or alfine in large or Xl if anyone knows of one available?

m4xime
    Free Member

When is that steel version to come out? Might hold off getting one then. Also, with that version being steel would you be confident it would be fine to be stored outside in a shed? Don’t think my SO would be happy with a third bike indoors.

Just thinking of rust mainly

dknwhy

So, on the back of this thread and the passion that James has for the brand, I took the plunge and ordered an Arkose Alfine online last Thursday to replace my Boardman.
    Had an email to confirm the order and that it should be ready for collection on Monday. Call the store today (Wimbledon) to get told that it won’t be ready at all as they’ve not built it yet.
    It’s not the fact that it’s not ready, it’s that no-one has even bothered to contact me and everything I’ve had from the emails said Monday. I’ve now organised to go to Wimbledon to collect it tonight and I’m wasting my time.
    The blasé attitude of the staff is just ridiculous. Couldn’t care less attitude. I’m in a queue and that’s it.
    I said that I could collect it and build it myself but was told it’s not assembled at all which I find ridiculous as I’m sure that it’s not just a box of parts by the time it reaches the store….
    Call customer service to be told that they’ve redirected my complaint to the store.

All the confusion could easily be avoided if the wording of their emails was different and said, “call the store after placing the order to agree your collection date.”
    Instead, you’re led to believe that it’s a magical service where your bike will be ready on a certain day and you get a phone call to agree a collection time….

Gary_M
    Free Member

should be ready for collection on Monday

Should is different from will be.

I’ve now organised to go to Wimbledon to collect it tonight and I’m wasting my time.

Surely you’re only wasting your time if you go?

I had to wait months for a new bike to arrive a few years ago, it was no big deal.

ElShalimo

jameso – Member

Sure – it’ll be a tourer. Triple MTB gearing, Marathon Mondials, rack and guards. Might do a minimal 1x bikepacker spec but for now we wanted more of a classic tourer as we haven’t got that in the range. I like the testing opportunities it may present..

Any ideas when it’ll be on sale?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve just checked my last evans order for a bike, it states

To avoid disappointment, please do not begin your journey to the store until we have confirmed the order is ready. We will email you when your order is ready to collect. For orders directly ordered from store stock, we will also send you a text message to confirm the order is ready.

jameso

When is that steel version to come out?

M4xime, Elshalimo, UK ETA in early Spring. Could be ready sooner but tourers don’t sell in any numbers in the run up to Christmas.

benmullard
    Free Member

An update on my Arkose X:

Now wearing new Planet X El Guapo Rattlesnake / WTB STi25 wheels, with WTB Byways set up tubeless (went up very easily with a track pump) – have also added a second wrap of bar tape (in almost matching orange)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VUtGir]New wheels and tyres[/url] by Ben Mullard, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V8vsVU]Untitled[/url] by Ben Mullard, on Flickr

shindiggy
    Free Member

I have anyone managed to source a replacement mech hanger for the arkose 3 (2017), my local Evans don’t know when they will be sent some as it’s a new model.

jameso

2017 Arkose hanger – code BRGD8 – seems that they’re out of stock as they’re not showing online, willneed to check that tomorrow.

Ben, the Byways look great on that!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

James, any idea if Evans will be selling XL Dolomite disc frames off any time soon?

jameso

Not sure sorry dtf, though if there is one it can be arranged. 2 things to check later then. Frame and forks, ’16 post mount or ’17 flat mount? ’16 more likely at the mo.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@benmullard

Could I ask where you got the wtb byways from? Any good?

Thanks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice one! There was a red one on Evans the other week, but it didn’t have full carbon forks so I dithered and now it’s gone. Not really bothered which year, as I was considering some new callipers anyway.

ilfer
    Free Member

@benmullard NICE ONE!
    I thought about the Planet X Rattlesnake WTB Set too. Can you tell me the weight?
    What year is your Arkose? Can you measure the clearance at the fork?
    I own a 2015 Arkose Two and wonder, if that would fit…

wicki
    Free Member

Thinking of an arkose frame I am 5’8″ but with a curvature of the spine from an accident, the longest top tube i want is 54 effective TT wich equtes to a small arkose does that sound daft I cant try before i buy I am in france.

benmullard
    Free Member

@root – tyres are from r2-bike in Germany- worked out about £50 each with postage. Very pleased so far – roll fast and give good traction on most surfaces I ride on. These tend to be local lanes, bridle ways and tracks – no tried in mud, but would switch back to the other wheels and WTB nanos for that. Alpkit have a good range of WTB tyres, just not the Byways (at least when I was buying).

@ilfer – wheels seem fine so far – I needed to swap the front axle end caps to go from 15mm to 12mm but all straightforward. Bit of pinging on the first ride, but settled down and seem solid since then. Afraid I didn’t weigh them – if I get a chance I’ll weigh the complete wheels which would provide an indication. I’ll also have a look at clearance, but I think from earlier posts I’ll have more in the 2017 frame than earlier years, so might not be helpful! I think Jameso has addressed this above or elsewhere though.

thorpedo

@wicki, I am 5’8″ and have a small Arkose (2015). It’s fine for me – I am on the border between small and medium according to the sizing chart, but I think it’s perfect.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I’m also 5’8″ and test rode both small and medium (2015) before buying. It felt like either could work for me. In the end I plumped for medium, deciding that way only because my road bike is medium and I’m used to that. Could just as easily have got on with the small, I think.

jameso

Shindiggy, BGRD8 Dolomite/Arkose flat mount version hanger – it’s in stock, code EV290813, just not on the site yet. Upload delay perhaps, sorry. Shops can order with that code though or call to mail order.

DTF – We have some XL flat mount / ’17 framesets, full carbon fork but full RRP also currently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll try asking my question again about wheels. I have a 2016 arkose but the front wheel has a lot of play and sound ‘hollow’. I had a quick look last night and can’t see any way to take up play. Apart from pack the bearings with grease is there anything else I can do or are they pretty much non serviceable?

jameso

Which model Gary? If it’s a sealed bearing hub it’s easiest just to replace them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for looking James; what’s full RRP? I haven’t seen the 17 framesets on the Evans site, only 16 and earlier.

Also, any ideas when they get reduced in price? 😀

Could do with getting something sorted for about September/October ish.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Thanks for the info James, any idea on the stock arkose 3 wheel weight. Mine are sounding and feeling a bit rough already after just 6 weeks, so will be looking for an upgrade sooner than later.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the response jameso, it’s an arkose 4. So replace the bearings? Or the wheels

shindiggy
    Free Member

Arkose 4 has replaceable cartridge bearings, so just replace the bearings if they are knackered.

If you want to replace the wheels though you could send them my way 😈

I’ve just had my bike back from its 4-6 week service and the gearing (front and rear) is now terrible, I had just re-tensioned and indexed it a few days ago. God knows what they’ve done in the store.

kilauea13

Any thoughts on the Arkose Ltd? https://grit.cx/received/2017/07/first-look-pinnacle-arkose-ltd-2017 It’s an interesting bike, but how well would the Di2 climber switch work mounted on the lever as a sole shifter? Is it robust enough?

thomthumb
    Free Member

following discussion in the pub last night how do you pronounce arkose.

Ar-koose (sort of like goose or northern cous-cous)

Ark ose (noah’s ark, northern hose)

shindiggy
    Free Member

It’s the latter for me.

edhornby

kililauea I saw that and my wallet got very hot in my pocket !!! given the climber switches are a usual addition to the TdF bikes (they get some hammer) then I’m sure they will cope with some off-roading

I do not need an n+1…
    I do not need an n+1…
    I do not need an n+1…

flange
    Free Member

Also considering the Ltd….I have too many bikes as it is. I don’t need it, there’s a massive amount of overlap with my other bikes (Grade, Kenesis, Airborne…), Di2 on a commuter is a daft idea….

BUT I WANT IT…

Jameso – quick one if I may – assuming this would take a set of hunt 650b’s with Horizons fitted?

jameso

It will take 650B, yes. Up to 50C/2″.

heebyjeeby

Jameso (or anyone else),
    I have a 2014 arkose 2 and am considering upgrading groupset to 105 hydraulic disk.
    It currently has a square taper BB – will this take a press fit or external BB?
    I assume it will take a front derailleur – if so what type?
    Also brake mounts – are they post or IS?
    Many thanks

flange
    Free Member

Thanks Mr O, appreciated.

Jakester
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    following discussion in the pub last night how do you pronounce arkose.

Ar-koose (sort of like goose or northern cous-cous)

Ark ose (noah’s ark, northern hose)

Honestly, until that post I thought it was “ArkRose”, which shows how much attention I pay… 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.