• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • lifecycl3
    Free Member

This is a question @ Jameso.
    Will the recently released 2017 model arkose be released as frameset only?
    Could you guess when that might be?

I’ve got a 2013 arkose frameset unbulit but I’m haveing cold sweats about not having enough clearance for 40c tyres.

ps. love this thread.

matt_outandabout

While we’re at it Jameso – what’s the plan for 2017 Iroko?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can squeeze 50mm tyres in? 2016 Arkose 4.

pictonroad

I have a 2015 Arkose 4, not sure if the 15/16 frames are the same?
    WTB Nano 40C fit in the back, but, there’s not much mud clearance and the front mech rubs when you get out the saddle.

I’m sticking to 35 on the back and 40 up front.

thv3
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Arkose 3, front mech (105 fd5800) is rubbing against the 40c nano at the rear when in the big ring.

Is there another compatible front mech without such a long arm, or more clearance?

ampthill

Anyone know if you can squeeze 50mm tyres in? 2016 Arkose 4

No

jameso

Sorry, missed a couple of posts on here over recent weeks.

thv3 – it will work out if the FD is set up correctly and the wheel’s all aligned ok. Might be worth checking the FD cable anchor point or ‘Hi’ stop (set screw) position?
    The 2017 frame is a bit longer in the CS to account for a lowered BB and 1/2 degree off the seat angle and create a bit more space here.

Matt – 66 static HA with 120mm fork, same reach as 2016 spec, improved dropper routing and side-swing FD route option. Due up on the site very soon, will get a pic posted up.

lifecycl3 – I’ll check in the week, not sure of ETA offhand sorry. Will be available though. 40C does fit the 2016 or earlier frames but it’s close, the new frame was in part to open up clearance around the FD and at the fork, as well as add flat mounts for the brake. We’ve had 650B x 2.1s in there – dry clearances at the chainstay rather than mud-room but it works and tbh real MTB tyres on a bike like this are a bit like DMs on a dancer imo. It’s fully road-plus-able anyway. 650 + Arkose : https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4eYHogeHG/?taken-by=pinnaclebikes&hl=en

thv3
    Free Member

Jameso – thanks for the tip, managed to get it working with some adjustment. It’s strange that the 5800 fd mech arm is so long, 5700 etc was far shorter with more clearance.

benp1

Hmmm, road plus looks interesting

lifecycl3
    Free Member

Thanks for replying Jameso. I’m holding my breath.

jameso

lifecycl3 – Hope you’re not too blue in the face by now! Looks like early summer for framesets sorry – all diverted to full bike production priority for the first 2 runs.

lifecycl3
    Free Member

Thanks for letting me know. Might have to buy a whole one then.

fatmax

@jameso or anyone else. Just come across the 2017 Arkose 3 and it looks ideal for my commute. However I’m a lanky 6’5″. Anyone got the 2017 geometry chart or real life experience of being this big on an XL?
    Many thanks

bossworld
    Free Member

Sorry to come back to this (other posts on the previous page). Haven’t been on my 2015 Arkose 2 since September, which was roughly a couple of months after I reported rear braking issues.

Went out for a short 12 miler on Saturday as the weather is improving, with the WTB 40c tyres back on. The rear brake rumble/shudder is back with a vengeance.

When I took it in the last time, they said the pads were badly glazed and sanded them down. I think this made it better albeit not fully solved. I’ve tried realigning the caliper a couple of times but it hasn’t helped.

Just wondering what to do next. The bike is less than a year old but I don’t know if this sort of thing would still be under warranty. I was thinking of trying to swap the front and rear pads to see if that makes a difference first of all, as the front doesn’t vibrate at all. My LBS (about half the distance to Gateshead) is offering half price servicing this month, but other than the rear brake, everything is running beautifully so that seems overkill.

jameso

^ Have you tried a round non-wavy rotor? ie an older Shimano or Avid G2.

If that makes no difference try sighting up the slot with a light behind, so you can see the gap between pad and rotor. Best to do this with fresh pads in rather than some that have worn in to match the rotor. Check how parallel the pads + rotor are. If the pads/caliper is too far off the rotor plane it can cause vibration, particularly with any wavy rotors. Facing the mount will fix it.

@fatmax, there’s a geometry chart on the bike page of the Evans site and it should be easy enough to get one in to try, plus there’s a 30 day right-bike guarantee.

superstu
    Free Member

Incapable of putting photos on here but just wanted to say that I bought an Arkose about a month ago (2016 ex demo) for a bargain price from evans.

It’s incredible. On the road I’m as quick as my old road bike, which I think is partly new bike enthusiasm but also because I’m more confident with the disc brakes and also because hitting pot holes unexpectedly (my riding is mostly country lanes and at night due to family and work commitments) don’t cause you to career off in the same way as it did on the road bike. I’ve taken it on a few bridleways as well and it’s coped surprisingly well. Tyres grip quite well and are predictable when you reach the limits.

My first bike of this type so can’t compare but can thoroughly recommend.

matt_outandabout

Matt – 66 static HA with 120mm fork, same reach as 2016 spec, improved dropper routing and side-swing FD route option.

Blue and red yes, black ‘meh’…
    £900

£1100

£1350

£1550

fatmax

@jameso – thanks, managed to find it when on the laptop and not my phone. Reckon I might just squeeze my lanky frame on an XL. And the Arkrose 3 looks great. Thanks. And fair play to answering so many queries, nice one.

jameso

^ Yes, sorry about that. It’s getting changed, not sure when though. I guess when the site design prioritised info and space they didn’t think geometry charts were so important. I disagree ..
    Try one out, I think it may be a bit small but with a flipped-up stem and a 400mm post, maybe. It’s relatively long in the reach anyway.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a large Arkose with a short stem in Southampton, that I could try for size? It would help enormously, saving me a trip to Reading by public transport.

I recall “The Dude” on here advertising a kharki Singlespeed last year, using photos taken on the Northam Bridge boardwalks, but I stupidly never got in touch.

Getting increasingly interested in the Arkose X, the only slight downer is that the fork now has an alloy steerer, unlike the Arkose models from a year or so ago.

bossworld
    Free Member

^ Have you tried a round non-wavy rotor? ie an older Shimano or Avid G2.

If that makes no difference try sighting up the slot with a light behind, so you can see the gap between pad and rotor. Best to do this with fresh pads in rather than some that have worn in to match the rotor. Check how parallel the pads + rotor are. If the pads/caliper is too far off the rotor plane it can cause vibration, particularly with any wavy rotors. Facing the mount will fix it.

Took the pads out on the front and back (see a little further down). Ensured all bolts tightened up, also re-centred the rear caliper one more time.

Was still happening.

Went round with a spoke key (not with the aim of adjusting – I’m nowhere near that skilled) but just to see if anything was loose. As it turns out, it seems I had a very loose spoke on the back. One (and only one) was effectively under no tension.

Done it up, and all seems fine now. A little bit of brake squeal from the rear but I have just sanded down the rotors and pads so we’ll see how that settles down. Put a dab of Ceratec brake grease on the back of the pads (where the piston makes contact) just to be on the safe side.

Did look reasonably parallel – for what it’s worth, this was the condition of the pads http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/Bossworld/k610/0C5D1ED9-829C-47C9-990A-EFCB2FEB9172_zpswvazzapi.jpg Looks as though it wasn’t engaging toward one edge of the pads, so hopefully a sand down/level off might help slightly.

Thanks again for your help.

Saw another Arokse 2 2015 round Whitley Bay last week too! 🙂

el_boufador

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what the biggest tyre I can fit though an arkose frame & forks is? It’s the 2014 version (I think) – I think they changed the fork design from 2015 if that makes a difference?

Considering building it up for some adventure cycling / gravel / montercross stuff and wondering what the biggest I can get away with is.

Also any tyre recommendations for that kind of stuff would be very welcome!

ta!

flows
    Free Member

@el_boufador

Hi,
    my 2014 frame can easily take a 42C tyre (19mm inner width rim). The clearance of my 2016 frame looks the same.
    I use a PlanetX fork on the first one so can’t tell how the clearance of the old fork version looked like.

My older Arkose with a recently fitted flatbar:

el_boufador

Nice one, thanks

benmullard
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a new bike on C2W, via Evans, and top choices are the 2017 Arkose 2 (Tiagra) and Arkose X (1×10, TRP hydros). I think the X is probably favourite for the riding I’m likely to use it for (country lanes, bridleways / tame trails and rides with family) as it looks a bit more off-road orientated.

Does anyone (Jameso?) know whether you can fit 650b wheels – I know it has clearance for up to 45mm tyres, but presumably that’s measured on 700c wheels?

jameso

Ben – 650B, yes, up to 50mm or so with reasonable clearance. This wasn’t great clearance but they are WTB Nineline tyres –

Horizons fit with loads of room.

benmullard
    Free Member

Great, thanks James – think I’ll be purchasing shortly!

jameso

Good stuff. WTB Byway 47s also fit well .. I can mention those now that the press release has gone out. Brilliant tyres.

benmullard
    Free Member

And suddenly the C2W value option looks like getting a second set of wheels and tyres at some point in the near future…!

Cheers again.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Looking for a definitive answer from Jameso if poss. I’ve got a 2015/16 Arkose singlespeed (absolutely love it) and plan to convert to 1×11 having got a SRAM s500 11sp bar end shifter, just waiting for a 1x Apex RD to come into stock. Anyway, had also thought about putting some Hunt Adventure disc 650b wheels on it, after seeing the WTB Byway tyres were coming out. However, the Instagram link a few posts above this suggests that combo would only work on the 2017 frames due to improved clearances (mines the original olive camo flouro paint splash frame). Is this the case? Cheers….

jameso

Byways fit the 2016 and earlier frames but the fork was narrower – it’ll fit but with a bit less clearance than the rear. I have some Byways here so I could check next week, maybe. The Hunt rims aren’t that wide though so that will help, my 650B road wheels are on WTB I25s and the tyres measure 47mm on those.

riddoch

Ere Jameso, can you persuade Evans to stock some i25 based wheelsets or Hunts 650?
    I’ve a 2015 frame and I was hopeful that given the WTB horizon site claims that on a 650b rim it would be the same diameter as a 700c 30mm road plus would be a simple drop in. but finding wheelsets seemed a bit more difficult that I hoped.

jameso

Riddoch, we have Hope wheelsets, Shimano, Mavic and other 650B MTB options, basically same thing but tbh I’d just get something like the I25s or I23s handbuilt onto the right hubs.

The main thing I like about the WTB KOMs is they’re foolproof for tubeless set up and Horizons and Byways are all I need tyre-wise on a 650B all-roader. 23-25mm rims match those tyres well and TCS is a great system – I’ve seated their tyre+rim combos dry with a hand pump. Unfortunately Evans doesn’t range any of this – at least you could see this as a geniune recommendation!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Luv2ride:

How have you got on with the SS version?

luv2ride
    Free Member

Jameso, if you could check the 2016 ss frame with the WTB Byways that’d be great.

Mikertroid, my SS Arkose is great, really enjoy it. I currently use some Kinesis CXD disc wheels with a Velosolo spacer kit running as single speed , so a bit lighter than the stock Alex rims. Also converted to tubeless with TCS Nano’s. I’ve also got a number of different rear cogs (16t and 18t Groove Armadas from PX, seem to be direct copies of the Andel cogs it came with). Put a Salsa Cowbell bar on with a wider flare, and a 39t front chainring (just because it was cheap and anodized red!) and everything else is stock. Now rocking a camo Blackburn outpost frame bag which carries my CamelBak, tools, etc.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Could be looking at my next CTW bike there….

luv2ride
    Free Member

^also meant to say, the Hylex brakes are very good indeed 🙂

Jameso: another Q, this timevre: the EBB on my SS. My local Evans (who supplied the bike) were unable to advise on the appropriate torque setting for the BB shell bolts. I’ve been setting them at 10nm but notice the insert can move a little during a ride. Any further info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

riddoch

Jameso, I had a quick look at the MTB 650b, I kind of assumed they’d be a bit wider, thinking about it as the i25 is 25mm that’s unlikely. When I filtered on QR and 650 only mavics and shimano wheels showed up so may not be all.

My original plan was some 700c hope 20five to go tubeless but road plus has turned my head 🙂

riddoch

Ahh, the hopes must labelled as 15mm rather than QR, the tech enduro looks like it might be the Evans available, in stock answer.
    23mm internal diameter, tubeless compatible, seems to tick the boxes.

jameso

When I filtered on

That isn’t always a great function on the site tbh : ) Some random categorisation creeps in from what I can see.

@luv2ride – 10Nm is about right but you can go a bit higher if needed, 13-14Nm isn’t an issue. Check the bolts are greased so you’re getting proper clamping at the torque setting. If it’s moving it could need a clean-out or some carbon paste. Any ongoing issues let me/Evans know as it should be solid, has been a good system ime.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.