• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • javipolo
    Free Member

I’m considering buying an Arkose as a comfier version of the Pinnacle Dolomite, change the tires for some 28c road wheels and use it almost exclusively as a road bike. Any Arkose owner would let me know how would you rate it as a road bike?

Shackleton

It is certainly well behaved on the road, mine gets used for commuting a lot and copes well with crappy roads on 28c tyres. Feels nice and relaxed for longer rides too but can’t comment on serious road use as road biking is a perverse pastime and shouldn’t be encouraged….. 😉

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I have a 2013 dolomite and a 2015 arkose. I really wanted my next winter road bike to have disk brakes so the plan was to use the arkose but I think due to the extra weight I’ll just use it for its intended purpose ie off road and perhaps get a new disk dolomite next winter.

minemapper
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ride-to-Work voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Really like the looks of the Arkose 3, but the Evans site is telling me late June is the earliest they’re back in stock. Can anyone tell me if there might be earlier deliveries anywhere? Would really like to test ride one too, but presumably one of the other bikes in the range will be just as good for that regarding sizing?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its sluggish as a road bike to be honest. Club runs on it I’d have to work significantly harder to keep up whereas on the race bike, I’m up front if/as I wish. Might be that its 4lb heavier than the race bike, might be the 28mm tyres, might be the frame, or just a combination of stuff.

But that’s not really the point of it, is it?

minemapper
    Free Member

I’ve spent 15 years on full suspension mountain bikes. I’m also 25kg off my fighting weight. I suspect it will feel just fine to me. 🙂

unpacman
    Free Member

Would Jameso or anyone else know what the black rubber housing inside the downtube of a Pinnacle Dolomite 2016 disc version frame might be?
    Just got hold of the red frameset you see. Would something like a Jagwire cable set have been used? The Dolomites in store use some kind of polymer housing for the gear cables, would that be right?

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

unpacman,

Normally it is to dampen any noise from the cable rattling.

Jon

dsb181
    Free Member

This might be a stupid question but;
    Can the stock SS wheelset take/be adjusted to take an 11 speed shimano cassette.

I’ve been doing the steel snobbery thing and overlooked this frame, I’ve got a 105 road groupset that needs a home, I’d need to swap out the hydro brakes for mechanical.

I love the paintwork on the SS model.

rockhopperbike

Alright chaps,

Question for the Arkose experts, I have a 2014 arkose 2 (the hydro disc version) I’m having a little problem with the front brake fading, any idea if I can put a 180 rotor on the fork, or will it all end in tears?

honourablegeorge

dsb181 – Member

I love the paintwork on the SS model.

There had to be someone… 🙂 I cant stand it, I’d have an SS frame in a flash if it could be had with one of the nice bold primary colours the rest of the range comes in.

nobelium
    Free Member

Just come across this thread and hope I get some advice.

I’ve got an Arkrose 2 (2014) that I want to fit a front mudguard to, but my bike doesn’t have a mounting hole (not front or underneath like later years)
    Some of that years models did have a front mount:
    A reviewer on the Evans site posted a photo with a front guard
    Road.cc review Mount holes on photos 22 & 27 here

Could I buy a fork from a later year or another make? What would I need to look for in terms of sizing?

I bought the bike for my commute that I’m generally happy with, but getting fed up with wet. I bought it together with long SKS fenders on C2W but Evans didn’t tell me that the model had changed since the reviews and the front mudguard mount had been removed.

jimdubleyou

I’ve got a 2015 model & the mount is under the fork.

You can buy the same fork here:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-2015-2016-fork-EV250550

I don’t think there’s any problem putting the new fork on your 2014 frame (but I would ask in the evans shop first if you’re unsure).

Edit: But, I’d be inclined to just buy a mudguard that doesn’t need that fitting.

honourablegeorge

Can’t tell from the link – is that fork tapered?

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

FOrk is tapered yes.

qwerty
    Free Member

Anyone thinking of selling a small SS disc? Email in profile. Ta

jameso

Nobelium, the bikes w/o a front mount that year were a small qty with a spec error that were sold at a reduced rate. If you paid full rrp you’re due a credit and it could go toward a new fork but the colour may not mach, depends what spares are in stock.

nobelium
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

I’ve put a question on the fork page if it will fit. It’s for commuting, I’m not worried about the colours.
    I have downtube mounted guard but they aren’t great

According to my order note I paid £714.53 in July 2014 on C2W, not sure how it came to that odd number, but looks like it was discounted. I’ll have a think about it and maybe order when next C2W window opens.

rockhopperbike

Jameso,

I have a 2014 arkose 2 (the hydro disc version) I’m having a little problem with the front brake fading, any idea if I can put a 180 rotor on the fork, or will it all end in tears?

jameso

rockhopperbike, a bigger rotor means less leverage at the caliper area but the fork spec is 160mm max and I’m not going to say it’s ok to go beyond that – I know how the fork is made but not enough about how the caliper re-location changes the stress there.

If it’s fading through heat, are you using metal or resin pads? Worth trying a 160mm icetech rotor maybe, can make more difference than going up a rotor size.

rockhopperbike

Alright thanks for that will look at the better cooled rotors and pads

unpacman
    Free Member

Hi Jameso – Is the Dolomite 2016 disc frame-set compatible with 160 rotors? Looking to fit some Juin Tech R1 callipers on and they’re 160mm only. (before I needlessly replace my 140mm centrelock rotors!)

jameso

^ 160mm is fine, you’ll just need either a 140-160 for flat-mount or a flat mount to 160 PM adapter.

RustySpanner

James, has your website disappeared?
    Can’t seem to find it.

jameso

You mean the Pinnacle site? It has .. It’s all on the Evans site now and the plan is to have improved product info capability on those pages in future. Evans site gets a lot more traffic.

RustySpanner

Thanks.

Looked nice, the old one though, clean and simple.
    Showed off the bikes well, nice big detailed photos.

white101

I have a 2014 arkose 3, has anybody else had any probs with the rear dropouts on the drive train side? I have severe wear on this side, the back wheel is no longer stable under the slightest pressure from the pedals.
    Had a torturous time getting home on Tuesday night, the wheel was jumping into the seat stays. I’ve not been able to speak to Evans locally (phones always busy) any fixes for worn drop outs?

thedude
    Free Member

I have a large arkose single speed for sale in the green splatter if anyone is interested. Email in profile

jameso

White101, how has the dropout worn? Are the hub caps secure, bearings loose?

white101

Jameso, The back wheel just had a hub service at my local Evans shop. If I could post a pic it might be easier to describe, but the frame has literally worn away on the cassette side, grove worn in from the QR spring.

jameso

Odd. PM me some pics, mail in profile. I’ll have a look, pics won’t explain it all but it’s a start.

white101

Jameso ygm, cheers

Lifer
    Free Member

Had an unexpected email from Evans yesterday and collected my brand new Arkose 3!

Just need to sort out front brake (caught the front lever as I was putting it in the car with the wheel off -idiot- so just a case of pushing pistons back in) but got everything else sorted yesterday evening. Test spin tonight then straight to work next week!

Love the black, although first upgrade is going to be some skinwall tyres 8)

teadrinker
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Arkose 4 frameset come with the 15QR at all? I’ve just picked one up and it isn’t in there and the guys at the shop don’t seem to know if they should or not? Plus Evans don’t seem to actually sell any which is odd?

😕

jameso

Frameset is with headset but not the fork axle. It’s a 15mm Maxle thread so Maxle light or bolted maxle thread axle all fit.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Thanks James, just to confirm is this one ok?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-maxle-lite/rp-prod54647

jameso

Should be, unless RS have found a new thread pitch, standard etc .. : )
    The complete bikes come with 15 x 100mm maxles and the fork’s the same.

teadrinker
    Free Member

So I’ve ordered one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-15mm-maxle-lite/?sku=5360580147

and one of these

https://www.evanscycles.com/rockshox-15mm-maxle-lite-EV226503

and both are too long? Can you point me in the right direction please as to which one to purchase as Evans don’t seem to know either. 😕

cokie

Hmm, when you mean too long- does the wheel sit in the dropouts with the skewer fitted and there’s play? If so, how much?
    Or are you fitting the axle without the wheel and it appears too long? Sometimes the wheel will stretch it out to the actual 100mm spacing.

On an unrelated note, whats the largest tyres I can fit with some clearance?

jameso

Maxles for a carbon road/CX fork are 125mm long in the 15x100mm size. The fork has a 10mm wide dropout on one side and 15mm on the other. Do you have one in approx 150mm for an MTB fork? Sorry, didn’t register to check you’d get a road or MTB type before, seemed a given but probably not a fair assumption to make.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.