Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose 4 Mech Hanger
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I had a bit of an issue on my commute yesterday with the chain slipping when I was putting any power down, setting off from lights etc. On my ride home I shifted through the gears sprinting across a junction, then everything went wrong.

Rear wheel seized, luckily I managed to unclip and stop. Looked at the rear and the mech was in the spokes, totally mangled.

So last night I had a look online for a new mech hanger and the first result I found was a thread on here about a recall of the mech hangers on 2015/16 Pinnacle Arkose 4 bikes.

I didn’t get the email regarding the issue and never read the post on here (can’t read the all you know). I had a puncture the day before and my hands were freezing when I fixed it and it’s possible I didn’t tighten the qr up as tight as usual – which is where the issue described in the post would arise.

Luckily it’s only a mech, a hanger and some chipped paint on the frame. Would it be worth taking up with Evans as I didn’t receive the recall email?

Of course it’s only £40 so probably not worth the bother but I guess it proves recalls are there for a reason.

jimdubleyou

I would call Evans customer service in the first instance.

Might be worth emailing jameso of this parish if you don’t get satisfaction from the labyrinthine Evans call centre – he works for Evans/Pinnacle and helped me out when I couldn’t get hold of a crash replacement fork.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes I was hoping jameso sees this post, if not I might email him.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I thought the concern with the pre-recall hanger was that the wheel could potentially come out but I read the OP as either saying the hanger came loose from the frame or the mech came loose from the hanger, and as a result the mech came into contact with the spokes of the wheel (that was still secured). Is that correct?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought the concern with the pre-recall hanger was that the wheel could potentially come out but I read the OP as either saying the hanger came loose from the frame or the mech came loose from the hanger, and as a result the mech came into contact with the spokes of the wheel (that was still secured). Is that correct?

No, the hanger snapped and took the rear mech into the spokes. There was slipping when I was riding into work and home but I thought the chain or cassette may need replaced, having read the details on the recall it looks like the slipping was due to the combination of qr not being as tight as it usually is and the faulty mech hanger so causing the wheel to move in the dropout. Possibly.

The main point is that I wasn’t contacted regarding the ‘faulty’ mech hanger but maybe my bike wasn’t affected.

Ordered a new hanger and mech now so will be back on the road in a couple of days.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i didn’t get the mail either, but back then just took my bike into evans and they replaced the hanger for free.
    not that this helps you, but maybe speak to them about it and see what they say?

Gary_M
    Free Member

When did you buy your bike xherbivorex? I bought mine on 1st Feb this year.

Kahurangi

Yes I would take it up with Evans and would be attempting to persuade them to make good (i.e. new hanger, mech and spokes put in the wheel).

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thankfully spokes not needed as the wheel is fine, although my rear guard is snapped as the mech caught on the stay and pushed it up.

I can’t be 100% sure my bike was one of the affected ones although it does say 2015/16 bikes. Plus I don’t really have time to peruse them and wait for an answer as I need to get the bike up and running asap.

freeagent
    Free Member

If you bought your bike in Feb-16 then I think the mech re-call would have been done before you got it.
    I picked up my Arkose 3 on Christmas eve 2015 (is a 2016 model) and delivery had been delayed due to Evans swapping the mech hanger.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s fair enough then, it was just the combination of events that lead me to think it was an issue with the hanger – qr possibly not as tight as usual, gears slipping, then mech going into spokes.

I don’t understand how else it happened as I was in the big ring smallish cog at the back so I’ve no idea how the mecha managed to get into the spokes.

No real harm done thankfully and I should have the parts tomorrow.

jameso

Not all bikes were affected and of those we contact we’ll not have up to date info for all, so if you have frame number we can check it, Feb 16 date of purchase is also useful as I can check if stock had new hangers fitted by then. On train now and can’t recall.

The hanger issue we found won’t put the mech into the spokes though and wasn’t related to them breaking, TBH that may sound like one of those things that happens due to shifting, prior damage etc? Not meant defensively, just neutrally or what someone may first assume. They’d probably want to have a look at it. You could pm me some images of the dropout if you wanted a quicker opinion but it may not be my call if it’s not clear from that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the response jameso. I can send you frame number and pics tonight but to be honest I’m putting it down to one of those things too, particularly if the issue with the dropouts won’t cause the mech to go into the wheel.

I’ve ordered a new dropout and mech from evans in Glasgow anyway so hopefully back on the bike by Thursday.

jameso

Send some pics over, worth a look anyway.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I’ll send tonight James. Thanks.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

When did you buy your bike xherbivorex?

i got mine october 2014, one of the early 2015 arkose 4s…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Arkose 4 Mech Hanger’ is closed to new replies.