Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PinkBike – questionable?
  • gavrobb
    Free Member

Chaps, I’ll resist mentioning names of ‘shops’ trading on PB but is it just me or does the PB classifieds seem to be a particularly shady place to purchase these days?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Definitely.

Here’s my cautionary tale…

Went to view a high end bike I’d seen on Pinkbike. Didn’t take any cash, just in case. The guy seemed reasonable, not an obvious scally. But, his tale of where he got his bike was patchy and full of contradictions. So I left it.

This week Plod come calling. Someone has seen their nicked pride and joy on Pinkbike, reported it to the Rozzers and they’d gone calling. Matey has my details so says I bought it. Great.

I considered telling Plod to do one and come back with some paperwork, but instead invite them in for tea, biscuits and a look at my bikes. All above board and receipted.

Give them my side of the tale and I think they were satisfied.

This is the second time this year that I’ve had unwanted Constabulary visits about nicked bikes. That’s 2 too many.

I think second hand bikes are becoming too hot to handle. Might be shops for me in future.

Northwind

PB classifieds have always been a bit iffy tbh. If you want to actually make a sale you need to get about 5 “definite” buyers, that way one of them might actually come up with the money.

chakaping
    Free Member

is it just me or does the PB classifieds seem to be a particularly shady place to purchase these days?

I’ve noticed more dodgy so-called “bike shops” on there too, whether they’re traders or just outright fences I don’t know but they’re on eBay as well.

In contrast to Northwind, I find PB users less timewastey than the SYW classifieds crowd tbh. Though I’ve done business with some very nice people via both recently.

plyphon
    Free Member

Bought my current bike on PB, well, I found it on PB, we then talked privately through email

guy couldn’t of been nicer. Even helped me out when ParelFarce beat the box about a bit and bent a hanger.

Tho thats the only thing I’ve ever bought off there./

tomaso
    Free Member

I am scanning all channels for my stolen bikes at the moment.

From personal experience I’ve sold quite a few bikes and frames etc on Pink Bike with no hassle and quite quickly. And I’ve bought a couple of bits and bobs.

I think it is the same as any site – good and bad.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I only use them if I can travel to collect. Def not risking postage!

Although to be fair – whats to stop dodgy people posting on here?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I tend to go elsewhere if the classifieds post is just a link to a pb advert.
    FFS at least post the advert properly on STW. Posting just a link on the classifieds should be banned!

Jamie
    Free Member

Sold my Defy to a nice chap on PB.

Emailed me in the morning, came over to look at it in the evening, and bought it 5 mins later.

…he also chucked me the market rate for the 105 pedals, when I realised the next day I’d left them on by mistake.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve sold more frames on PB than STW.

sugdenr
    Free Member

PB and Gumtree seems to be a magnet for ‘spivs and gamblers’, so if you dont have a good radar for fanjos and penis beakers stay away 😀

But if you can cope with kids and the messing, you can find/sell OK. I just sold a hub to Germany via PB.

banks
    Free Member

I’ve had far more dodgy replies on here than on PB. One guy on PB paid 18quid to have a set shimano sintered brakes posted to brazil!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Posting just a link on the classifieds should be banned!

It is banned on another forum I frequent. If you can copy and paste a link you can copy and paste an advert surely.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve had far more dodgy replies on here than on PB. One guy on PB paid 18quid to have a set shimano sintered brakes posted to brazil!!

I posted a full facer to India. I think the postage was about the same as the helmet.

banks
    Free Member

[/quote]I posted a full facer to India. I think the postage was about the same as the helmet.

The pads were clarks, they cost a fiver! He was dead happy with them.

Mark

It IS banned on our classifieds. If you see it, report it and we’ll deal with it 🙂

Drac

Include the whole ad in your post. Don’t just lazily put a link to your ad on another website – include all the details in your post. Links to ads on other websites (with the exception of eBay ads that conform to our eBay ad rule) will be deleted.

Oh! Mark entered the thread whilst I was reading it. 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, I hadn’t realised that. Not been on there for a bit. Thanks for confirming that, good work!

Drac, do keep up old chap!

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve bought and sold lots of stuff on pinkbike, some high end things like a frame, forks, shocks, and never had any problems apart from plenty of time wasters which you can get anywhere.

I think when you’re dealing with second hand things you always need to be as cautious as possible, regardless of the website.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PinkBike – questionable?’ is closed to new replies.