Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Pink Floyd
  • JoeG
    Free Member

Thanks. Now I’ve spent over an hour watching/listening to Pink Floyd on YouTube! 😳

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I’d asked I would think about my favourite band briefly, and say Pink Floyd. Just like the sound they make for most of what they did.
    Ask me about my favourite live music experiences and I will rave on about the two times I got to see them (Wembley in the late 80’s and Châteaux de Chantilly in something like ’94) for about as long as the actual concerts. Loved dance music around the 90’s, Manchester scene stuff enjoy the Pogues as much as anyone but Pink Floyd just seen to endure somehow.
    And age with Dave Gilmour being a quality guitarist.

bones
    Free Member

Nobeer… & zippykona sum it up for me. Also, Gilmour couldn’t play like Yngwie, and vice versa. Wouldn’t want them to.

jekkyl

Money get back
    I’m all right Jack keep your hands off my stack.
    Poems everybody?! Absolute rubbish laddie.

bikebob

Money it’s a hit
    ( although I’m sure some on here will say ) Don’t give me that do goody good bullshit.
    (Personally) I’m in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set. But . I can’t stand soccer so definitely won’t be buying me a new football team.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wish you were here is pure class,
    The wall is brilliance
    The rest is ok but not a massive fan of Meddle or Animals, apart from a few tracks.

For me Waters did the best stuff and his solo albums are really good, Pros and cons especially. I even like The Final Cut cut though and that’s almost a Waters solo album.

I’ve been listening to the Endless River a bit over the last few days and initial impressions were if it wasn’t good enough for the Division Bell why is it ok now! But it has started to grow somewhat. The best albums are growers. Amused to death took about 5 yers for me to really see it’s genius

enfht
    Free Member

Any Colour You Like + Acid = good memories.

augustuswindsock

I’ve got a bike…

kjcc25
    Free Member

First saw them live at Bingley Hall, Stafford, just after they released Animals, and then Earl’s Court after the release of The Division Bell. I’ve been to see Roger Waters three times most recently his Wall Tour. They are with out doubt the best concerts I have attended for the quality of the sound and the overall concert experience.

ampthill

The band is just fantastic and that’s really what I think

By the way which ones Pink

IanMunro
    Free Member

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn > Great
    A Saucerful of Secrets -> Set the controls, rest hmm.
    More -> Meh
    Ummagumma -> 50% awesome, 50% the drugs don’t work
    Atom Heart Mother -> Best cover picture ever.
    Meddle -> Great stuff.
    Obscured by Clouds -> Must have listened to it a few time, can’t remember a single song.
    The Dark Side of the Moon -> Genius!
    Wish You Were Here -> Beautiful.
    Animals -> Start of the decline.
    The Wall -> NO
    The Final Cut -> Dirge
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason -> Album title is almost accurate.
    The Division Bell -> Dad rock.
    The Endless River -> Probably more self indulgent twaddle.

neilthewheel

IanMunro, I agree with you there, except I think Animals is great – the first Floyd I ever heard and I loved it right away. obscured by Clouds is an overlooked gem.
    I saw them at Wembley in the Momentary Lapse tour and I thought they’d gone stodgy. For me, as others have remarked, the brilliance is in Gilmour’s restraint as a guitarist. every note has a purpose. hearing him wring out endless variations on his solos on Comfortably Numb, for example, was a pity. also their sax player had the crappest mullet ever.
    They weren’t the same without Waters, either.
    I won’t be buying the new album.

DezB
    Free Member

Despite this thread being wrongly started, I’d like to say I don’t like Pink Floyd. Just to, you know, have my voice heard.
    I like millions of other things though, so I am pretty sure I’m not missing out.

kelvin

I avoided all the later stuff for years, assuming it was all dull overblown dad rock… but then listened to Division Bell in full in the summer and was totally hooked… love it. And Gilmour’s On An Island. Lovely.

Momentary Lapse of Reason should still be avoided. Except Sorrow… that’s okay. The rest is terrible.

“New” album is okay, but inessential.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that there was a correlation between James Bod and Pink Floyd. You have your early, critically acclaimed, genre defining stuff (Sean Connery, Piper at the Gates of Dawn), a bit of a..er…’hiccup’ (George Lazenby, Ummagumma), your indulgent and massive selling return to form (Roger Moore, Meddle & Dark Side of the Moon), the new guy who takes it in a different but somewhat patchy direction (Dalton, The Wall & The Final Cut) and then they both chug on into old age and mediocrity (Pierce Brosnan, Divison Bell & The Endless River). Daniel Craig has spoiled this model and therefore does not exist (unless Dave Gilmour can pull something pretty spectacular out his baldy hat).

joepose
    Free Member

Shut yourself away with – The Wall. Get into the theme of it its not individual tracks its a masterpiece, it doesn’t jump aroud. Its dark and nasty at times but a masterpiece.

BigJohn

I really really like a lot of their stuff. And what always makes me smile is the way they had a “Ringo” track on most albums – where they let Richard Wright sing lead. Wearing the Inside Out being a classic of the genre. I love his singing but it’s a bit forced.

kcal

Liked them since my childhood; The Wall in – I think – 1981/82 was eye-opening.

I think every album, no matter how overall skanky, has at least one gem and I really quite like Obscured by Clouds too… Actually Dark Side of the Moon is maybe over-played – it’s Wish You Were Here that has the beautiful tracks..

Latter stuff has passed me by I must say..

neilthewheel

Richard Wright brought some great songs in out of left field
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYLVbigYUfU[/video]

CountZero

bigblackshed – Member
    Pink Floyd, like Genesis, were and still are a very big part of my musical identity. BUT with both, and many other bands, I’m not a fan of all of their work.

For Floyd it’s Meddle to Animals. I like bits of The Wall but I don’t “get” most of Roger Waters. For Genesis it’s Foxtrot to Wind and Wuthering, plus a few odd bits and pieces.

To label Floyd as rubbish is, to me, quite insulting. They have influenced huge amounts of music that followed. To say you don’t like or get it is perfectly fine. I don’t like The Smiths. To some it’s their musical awakening and still holds their affection. I can appreciate that Johnny Marr has influence lots of guitarists, but he doesn’t “float my boat” musically.

Each to their own.
    It took me a very long time to really appreciate The Smiths, it must be said. I can now appreciate Marr’s skill as a guitarist, and How Soon Is Now sends shivers down my spine with the very first opening notes, but otherwise I aggree wholeheartedly with this.
    Oddly enough, and despite not owning a working turntable, I bought a Pink Floyd vinyl album today!
    My intention is to get a mate with a vinyl fixation and the appropriate equipment to do a digital copy.
    Why would I bother? It’s a bootleg, often considered to be the best live bootleg ever recorded, Pink Floyd Winter Tour ’74, which has Raving and Drooling, You’ve Got To Be Crazy and Shine On You Crazy Diamond, songs that eventually appeared on Wish You Were Here and Animals
    Plus I saw them on this tour at Bristol Hippodrome, so it was irresistible.
    It also effectively only cost me £5, ‘cos I’d just sold some old vinyl to the same dealer for £20, and she let me have it for £25, rather than £30.
    Bargain! 😀

slowoldman

Well if you’re only 40…

To me Ummagumma IS Floyd. Did I tell you about the time I saw Floyd perform Dark Side of the Moon live before the album was released? No? Well it was brilliant, but the second half which was all Piper, Ummagumma and Meddle was 10 times better.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for summer68! 😀

kelvin

The proper songs on Atom Heart Mother are all ace. They could have been such a pop band back then if they’d wanted.

kelvin

Oh, check out “Blue” on Gilmour’s album for some great stuff by Wright. His final piece of perfection.

kelvin

Oh… essential Wright download for you…

Zabriskie Point – Outtake – Love Scene – Version 4

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just love Gilmours facial expressions!

Kelvin, do you have a link for that plz?

Lifer
    Free Member

Hanging on in quiet desperation
    Is the English way

senorj

I loved the wall as a lad,but when I was 17, my foreman, one Tuesday morning, offered me a spare ticket for the momentary lapse of reason tour. Maine road.
    As soon as we got to the stadium I was separated from the folks I was with..
    I’ve never been the same after that gig .
    I eventually packed in my job and ran away to London on the back of it tbh.
    I don’t love everything they’ve done ,but I really really like a lot .
    Slightly disappointed dezb sees no worth in the floyd…:-)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Slightly disappointed dezb sees no worth in the floyd…:-)

Just tastes innit. I really wish football got me remotely interested, I’d be more involved in conversation at work!
    Each to their own & as long as dezb like what he likes, thats ok by me.

cinnamon_girl

I think you’ll find that Dez reckons any musicians over the age of 40 should be put down. He’s really quite ageist. 😉

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Dub Side of the Moon – Easy All Stars is a cracking tribute to a beautiful album. Most of you have probably heard it, but those of you who have not. Enjoy!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEZWsnIECo&spfreload=10[/video]

joepose
    Free Member

So, so you think you can tell
    Heaven from hell?
    Blue skies from pain?
    Can you tell a green field
    From a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?

maxtorque

Em7 G
    e-|————————————-|————————-|
    B-|———-3——5—–3————-|————————-|
    G-|—–2/4————4———4p2p0–|————————-|
    D-|————————————-|–0———-0–0——–|
    A-|————————————-|——-1/2—————|
    E-|————————————-|————————-|

Em7 G
    e-|—3/5–3/5—————————|————————-|
    B-|—3/5–3/5–3/5–5/3-p0–3/5–4/2-p0-|————————-|
    G-|————-2/4–4/2-p0–2/4–4/2-p0-|—-4—————x\—|
    D-|————————————–|—-5—————x\—|
    A-|————————————–|————————-|
    E-|————————————–|————————-|

Em7 A7sus4
    e-|————————————-|——————————|
    B-|———3—–5—-5b(7)r5p3—–3–|————-3–5————-|
    G-|—-2/4—–4——————4—–|–2—-4b(5)——-4b(6)–2—|
    D-|————————————-|——————————|
    A-|————————————-|——————————|
    E-|————————————-|——————————|

Em7 A7sus4 G
    e-|——————————————|———————–3-|
    B-|———3—–5——5b(7)-(7)r5–3–5—|———————3-3-|
    G-|—-2/4—–4—————————–|–2—-4b(6)r4–2—-0-0-|
    D-|——————————————|———————0-0-|
    A-|——————————————|————————-|
    E-|——————————————|————————-|

e-|–3——–3—–3——–3—-|
    B-|–3——3-3—–3——3-3-3–|
    G-|–0——0-0—–0——0-0-0–|
    D-|–0——0-0—–0——0-0-0–|
    A-|–2——2——-2————-|
    E-|–3——3——-3————-|

mintimperial

I was a massive teenage Floyd fan. I could probably still sing/hum along to all 5 of the main 70s albums start to finish. Me and a mate trekked all the way down to Earl’s Court from Huddersfield to watch them in 1994, aged about 15 or 16. I confess I grew out of them after a bit, although I still have a soft spot for the early Syd Barrett/psychedelic stuff, and my records and CDs are still lurking somewhere about.

It’s weird (and a bit depressing) to think that the 1994 tour I saw is roughly as long ago now as Dark Side Of The Moon was back then.

iffoverload
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFP0dg97nI[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that Dez reckons any musicians over the age of 40 should be put down.

DezB’s heroes include…
    Neil Young
    Iggy Pop
    Karl Hyde
    Brian Eno
    Richard D James
    :-)j

enfht
    Free Member

Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

DrJ

Just love Gilmours facial expressions!
    Kelvin, do you have a link for that plz?

Google is your friend. Or Spotify. Zabriskie Point is one of my favourite films – one day I’ll manage to get there!!

doof_doof
    Free Member

Love Live at Pompeii.

PF are ofter called ‘pretentious’ on here, but people never explain what exactly makes the music pretentious.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Never got it? Upper middle class art school bollocks, but then again it’s probably too “clever” for me…. Dumb northern punk… Anything more than three cords and I get confused….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Pink Floyd’ is closed to new replies.