Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pinion c1.12 gearbox
  • chrisdeve
    Free Member

Has anyone got any first hand experience of the pinion c1.12 gearbox, or even P1.12 in a mtb application? There are a few touring-based reviews but little mtb. I want one

Onzadog
    Free Member

I test rode a bike built around one. I wasn’t overly impressed for serious mtb applications.

jes
    Free Member

Yes I do, Nicolai GPI with P1.12. Which I’ve had for about 10 months after wanting a pinion gear box for the pevoius 4 years.

Your absolutely correct to want one. If you live in a steep part of the world maybe look at the P1.18 as well.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I also have a Nicolai, an Ion GPI with the P1.12. I liked the idea of the gearbox, had a demo ride on a hardtail with a P1.18 and was sold on the idea.

I like the 600% range (more than I need in reality), I like the ability to change as many gears as I like even stationary and I like that the gears are impervious to mud. Mine is under a year old and only done about 450 miles as injury meant it didn’t get as much use as I hoped last year. I’m a somewhat cautious rider so the bike hasn’t been hammered but it’s been to 417 Project a couple of times, Surrey Hill’s, QECP Day and Night, Pedalhounds and so far no problems bigger than some squeaks if I don’t lube the belt tensioner. (no problems with the gearbox that is, the CCBD Inline shock is another story)

I’d strongly recommend getting a demo with a gearbox before splashing that much cash but I am very happy with mine and have my eye on a Ti hardtail with a C1.12 if I can find the money

chrisdeve
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.useful info

otsdr
    Free Member

I found this video quite informative as well, assuming you don’t get to test it out on a demo bike.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BloH-xu7Lvg[/video]

Onzadog
    Free Member

Zerode Taniwha thread

This had some interesting commentary on the gearbox in the taniwha including my thoughts after my test ride.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve had a P1.18 on a Nicolai Helius AC for >4 years. Mine was pretty much faultless in that time. Some comments on that other thread already. They’re heavy but the weight is pretty much perfectly located.

I’m currently riding the newest 27.5 Helius AC which isn’t available with the gearbox so i’m on 1×11. 1x gearing (with a simple chainguide) has addressed some of the problems of non-gearbox systems but I wrote off a mech hanger/mech in the Pyrenees in October.

I regularly miss the ability to change while stationary or not pedalling and I never had any problem with the (admittedly slow) pick up or the twist shifter. YMMV so get a test ride.

mucker

Met a chap tonight at Wheelcraft, recently returned from EWS in Madeira, where he was riding a Nicolai Ion. He was very happy with it, reckoned it is what Mtb has been waiting for and any perceived disadvantages are more than compensated for. Check it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pinion c1.12 gearbox’ is closed to new replies.