Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • "ping" coming from my road freehub/cassette
  • wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i’ve noticed a spoke-like “ping” coming from my freehub on my road bike. It’s 10 speed cassette with a set of R501’s i think – something cheap, but defo a 10 speed freehub.

When i freewheel i can hear something that sounds like something catching on one or more of the spokes with a slight “ping” noise.

I suspect i’m missing a spacer or something – bought the cassette second hand so i’m not sure if there should have been anything.

So should there be a spacer on 10 speed cassette’s and if i’m missing one – where can i get such a thing?

ta!

Joe

Sounds more like an issue with your wheel bearings. It can often make a “ping” noise which sounds like its coming from the spokes, but its just the spokes transmitting the bearing problem!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Make sure that the threaded ring on your inner tube valve is snugged up against the rim. If it’s loose, it can produce a kind of pinging noise….took me ages to realise what it was. But then, I am a bit special.

scotroutes

If you were missing a spacer the cassette would be loose.

Sure it’s not the end of the gear cable catching on a spoke?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

If the spacer is missing, it ‘just’ doesnt do it up tight enough.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Just bought a new cassette and there is a small spacer that goes on first before the cassette itself – this was the missing thing, was causing the rear of the cassette to rub on the spokes.

Oops!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That’s what I would have suggested, had the same thing on my bike when I forgot to fit the spacer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘"ping" coming from my road freehub/cassette’ is closed to new replies.